Author Topic: Xbox 360 PC [WIP]  (Read 12521 times)

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
Re: Xbox 360 PC [WIP]
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 07:09:28 PM »
tested with the new power supply WITH the top half of the case on (no videocard or wifi card installed yet)
the thing runs freaking cold!
there was no heat on the plastic around the main cpu heatsink and it was cold air being pushed out the side of the shell :fear:
the northbridge chip was running hotter than the cpu was, that says something.
more good news is that the power supply didnt heat up either, but seeing as how the CPU ran at a constant 32 degrees i might install that 3.2GHz if i can find more zip ties.
the cd drive decided to :censored: up again, so im going to have to take a look inside and see if anything got inside when i was trimming the faceplate to fit.

otherwise it is running perfectly, after i get the 3.2GHz installed i should see some major improvement in regards to boot times, hopefully the temp. wont rise too much but it seems like the fan can surely handle it.

EDIT:
something is wrong with the cd drive or my motherboard.
the cd drive will not properly send its info to the blitz box so then its manufacturer is just a bunch of random letters.
but when i test it with my desktop it all works fine.
im not sure what, but something is up here, hopefully its not with the motherboard.
if worse comes to worse i might have to either take out the cd drive or leave it in just for show.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:34:23 PM by zack247 »
My systems:  -PSP 2001, CFW and PSP 3000 shell.  -PSP 1001, LED mods, custom firmware, speaker mods, sound reactive LEDs.  -Black NDSL, LED mod, 0.5x and 2x speed mod. 

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
yes i know it seems like im posting a bunch of useless information, right?
the new power supply is 460W and is smaller than the old one! (internally at least) its made by cooler master and at a rating of 460W, i dont know if it even gains a degree in temps when its running, i dont have any power hungry components.
i need to trim the heatsinks and cut the hole for the transformer top (its not that much smaller :P)
and then its on to another test, then i work on the wiring, but this time i think i'll skip the whole desoldering the old wires part and just splice the new cord onto the ones soldered into the power supply. just to play it safe.
and i will make sure that the voltage input (110-220) switch stays plenty far away from the circuit board.
My systems:  -PSP 2001, CFW and PSP 3000 shell.  -PSP 1001, LED mods, custom firmware, speaker mods, sound reactive LEDs.  -Black NDSL, LED mod, 0.5x and 2x speed mod. 

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 01:21:57 PM »
definetly not useless alot of good insite and information here

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »
thanks rodent.

but GRR.
finding a SATA laptop cd drive is impossible, and i cant afford (nor am i capable) to buy a adapter for a ide laptop drive or buy a new SATA one.

it murders me to say it, but this project will have to have the cd drive taken out...
but that touch sensitive button will still be used.

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 04:53:10 PM »
whoa whoa whoa.

this isnt dead, but yes it has been a month.
that power supply ive been talking about isnt dead and i tested with my wiring harness and special power cable...
IT WORKS :D
in fact it worked so beatifully im gonna take the power supply in to school on Wednesday (we do house wiring on Tuesdays XP) and finish it up.
since the heatsinks are smaller they do noticably heat up, but i'll deal with it.

So yeah, its working and the whole rig is being powered via only 8 external wires, not bad if i do say so myself :3

Offline PsychoticWolf

• C.H.A.O.S Where art Thou.
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »
Pics Zack. Like what are you trying to do?  Sounds cool but I am lost.

For the awesome Sigs Thanks goes to: Blazinkaos, Chef Boyardee
O o
/¯/________________________/
{ IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZAAAAAR!!!!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\
RyanF: lol im not that sick.  I don't feel like licking the s*** off a 40 year old guy's ass
RyanF: you want me to lick your crusty old buns dont you?
2/20/2012 at 08:55:34 PM

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »
Blech. i cant believe i forgot about pictures o.o'
so.. the goal is to modify a standard ATX power supply so its small enough to look nice outside the box.
on the first page ive got pictures of the shell im putting it in, ive got a video of it in action but i havent uploaded it yet.
from the power supply i have a set of 12 wires;
2 for 3.3v
2 for 5v
2 for 12v
2 for GND
1 for POW_OK
1 for -12v
1 for POW_ON
1 for 5vSB

all running into a 8 pin plug made of 2 molex connectors
this plugs into a wiring harness i made for inside the box. which has a motherbaord connector for main and the extra 4 pins at the cpu. other power wires will be added on later (hard drive, ROL, accessories).

Pic 1 is the slimmed power supply before the plug was added
Pic 2 is the wiring harness, not yet completed
Pic 3 is the two plugs side by side. white is going to be in the xbox, black comes from the power supply.

hope i cleared up any confusion!

Offline PsychoticWolf

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 08:16:02 PM »
Oh okay! I get it bro. So Have you tried looking into Slim Server Rack Type PSU? They have some made for slim line desktops.

O o
RyanF: lol im not that sick.  I don't feel like licking the s*** off a 40 year old guy's ass

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »
yeah ive seen them online and everything, but i cant afford to buy one of those.
besides, wheres the modding in that? :3

Offline PsychoticWolf

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 09:16:12 PM »
yeah ive seen them online and everything, but i cant afford to buy one of those.
besides, wheres the modding in that? :3

Yeah True. But Modding an PSU isn't as safe as you think. Just make sure you map all the wires. You don't want your PSU to Melt and catch fire.

O o

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 09:21:06 PM »
hehe true dat. i suppose this is the point in time where i shouldnt menton i shocked myself with it already?
i mean, it wouldnt be the first time, but still...

the new plug is already attached and everything, i jst need to key it so it only plugs in the right way.

Offline PsychoticWolf

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 09:23:07 PM »
hehe true dat. i suppose this is the point in time where i shouldnt menton i shocked myself with it already?
i mean, it wouldnt be the first time, but still...

the new plug is already attached and everything, i jst need to key it so it only plugs in the right way.
Make sure you have it perfect lol You don't want to short your motherboard. or anything.  I'm a PC builder/Computer Modder. Custom Motherboards...ect and I know for a fact one short or one little mishap you can really screw up your PSU lol From experience.

O o

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »
lol ive had some pretty good luck then, been building computers for about 3 or 4 years now and never had that problem :P
i do have to say though, i hate AT power supply computers, always having to wait for it to be done to actually turn it off...

i really need to perfect the wiring harness, not gonna redo it, but i know its not safe the way it is.

Offline PsychoticWolf

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »
lol ive had some pretty good luck then, been building computers for about 3 or 4 years now and never had that problem :P
i do have to say though, i hate AT power supply computers, always having to wait for it to be done to actually turn it off...

i really need to perfect the wiring harness, not gonna redo it, but i know its not safe the way it is.

I have about 10+ years Building Custom Machines.  If you haven't Burnt anything yet then you haven't tried hard enough. LMAO
Building is not a issue plug this here plug that over here..ect... I Had to rebuild a Power supply from crap I had laying around to make some person happy. it was alright but when I forgot I soldered a wire to the board to hold it in place so I can bridge it later I went to grab a drink came back and tested it. Forgetting to Bridge EPIC FAIL happened.  I even Mark my work with Red Tape so I know what to go back and fix. Ever since that day any electrical I do you will see Red tape on wires I need to work on or Blue tape on wires I haven't soldered. Fixed the issue on my next build of the PSU but hey :censored: happens.

O o

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2011, 09:58:16 PM »
well this is my first time :censored:ing around with a power supply, have to say its going good so far.
ugh, ive been procrastinating on those expansion cards though.. gotta solder them in cuz risers take up too much space.

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »
A UPDATE!
ive practically finished the power supply.
i got the hole cut for the transformer, just used a hot exacto blade and it cut through like butter.
i laid down the caps in the back, and the cover fit on with no issues. as far as mechanically, this thing is almost done.
electronically, i want to add a power state LED like the xbox brick has (on/off light), and ventilation is going to be needed too.
that will be kind of difficult, considering finding a fan of the appropriate size wont be easy.
anyways, heres some pictures.
its not 100% done on the case, i have pieces of plastic to cover the front and back openings.

Pic 1 is the underside
Pic 2 the the top side
Pic 3 is a shot inside from the back. the caps will be glued down once i get cooling worked out.

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 05:53:39 PM »
so i finished up the wiring harness for the most part in my electronics class today.
and i was thinking, how does a touch sensitive power button sound?
maybe just scrap the momentary switch altogether and have a touch sensitive power button on this :censored:
opinions would be great, i want to know if i should start developing a method of making it work or not.

nevermind that.
to make it work id have to use 5vsb, and the touch sensitive circuit will activate and deactivate on its own running off that for some reason so..
sorry bout that.
touch sensitivity will be for something else.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:33:41 PM by zack247 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal