Author Topic: My PSP mods(3mm leds)  (Read 4337 times)

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
My PSP mods(3mm leds)
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:41:48 PM »
I have done a few simple mods ago but never showed them off on AM
this time I'm gonna do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_N6i3e7_CE

red 3mm leds in the triggers and 2 white smds in the screw holes(that was tough) and fan grill on the UMD door
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:46:37 PM by COREGAMER »
"A Gamer is only as good as his hardware"

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
Re: My PSP mods(3mm leds)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »
Good Job, it looks great. Were did you get that fan grill at? ive been wanting to put a fan grill on mine also.

Toad: Sam, You sound like your stoned out of your mind lol
Me: :D

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:58:37 PM »
got it from a store that sells pc fans and stuff

It was like 30 cents
you might also find it on ebay or dealextreme

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:11:48 PM »
nice one :tup:
that mustve been real tough getting those leds in there AND keep the umd drive unobstructed, not to mention getting the leds to stay there without breaking any wires.
PSP 1k's FTW
My systems:  -PSP 2001, CFW and PSP 3000 shell.  -PSP 1001, LED mods, custom firmware, speaker mods, sound reactive LEDs.  -Black NDSL, LED mod, 0.5x and 2x speed mod. 

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:16:05 PM »
yup the right screw hole was real tough and even the 30 gauge wire was quite thick to be placed there but somehow it worked out!

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:14:21 AM »
It's really good bro.  Next time I suggest that you use all surface mount parts, but it looks great!!

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:21:22 AM »
The problem is that I can't find them locally
Most of the times I have to pull them out of old cellphones

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 12:19:32 PM »
If you have cash, go to the gas station and buy a money pack card, you can use it to transfer cash to your paypal account, so you can buy parts online

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 12:24:24 PM »
all of my LED mods are done with SMD LEDs i got from old cell phones and laptop pieces, ive never bought any LEDs online before, or offline for that matter. the only downside to that is that you cant guarantee that the LED will work once you get it off the board.
My systems:  -PSP 2001, CFW and PSP 3000 shell.  -PSP 1001, LED mods, custom firmware, speaker mods, sound reactive LEDs.  -Black NDSL, LED mod, 0.5x and 2x speed mod. 

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
all of my LED mods are done with SMD LEDs i got from old cell phones and laptop pieces, ive never bought any LEDs online before, or offline for that matter. the only downside to that is that you cant guarantee that the LED will work once you get it off the board.
if you get a heat gun, you can heat up surface mount components until the solder softens and slide it off the board.

what I was saying was, why don't you buy leds.  it would make your task much easier, and you wouldn't have to scrap parts off an old board.

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »
i prefer to save a few things from the landfill whenever i can. :laughing:

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 09:04:48 PM »
And as for me I'm just a kid so I can't use paypal and shipping from ebay US costs a fortune.

And I forgot to put up some pictures of the inside so here they are

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:08:35 PM by COREGAMER »

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 01:24:51 AM »
nice and simple wiring :P
for some reason i can never achieve that..

looks just as good on the inside as it does outside, very clean.

and im just turning 15 so no paypal here either, but you'd be surprised how many junked cell phones you find on the streets of saskatoon. most of them run over, none that properly work, but so long s the LEDs are fine there good enough for me :P

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 09:42:04 PM »
nice and simple wiring :P
for some reason i can never achieve that..

looks just as good on the inside as it does outside, very clean.

and im just turning 15 so no paypal here either, but you'd be surprised how many junked cell phones you find on the streets of saskatoon. most of them run over, none that properly work, but so long s the LEDs are fine there good enough for me :P

you do realize that both of you can go to the gas station, put money on a card and transfer it to paypal right? If you're concerned about having to be 18 to have a paypal for you.  Shoot, I'll do it for you guys so you can do some REAL modding... They have "money pak" cards.  If you buy them, you could transfer the money to my paypal account, tell me what you want, and I'd buy it and ship it to your house.  Of course I'd need a little donation :P  Of course this isn't through the site, so you trusting me would be completely up to you... But i'll be glad to help!!

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »
lol i got a prepaid mastercard and bought a new battery for my laptop a while ago :P
im not saying I cant purchase online, my parents would gladly order stuff for me, im saying i dont need to buy online.
and like i said its a lot cheaper to get broken phones (from cell phone stores, friends and the roads) and harvest the leds than to go buy them online. plus it gives me a reason to practice my SMD soldering.

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 11:19:11 PM »
lol i got a prepaid mastercard and bought a new battery for my laptop a while ago :P
im not saying I cant purchase online, my parents would gladly order stuff for me, im saying i dont need to buy online.
and like i said its a lot cheaper to get broken phones (from cell phone stores, friends and the roads) and harvest the leds than to go buy them online. plus it gives me a reason to practice my SMD soldering.

The problem is, you do need to buy online.  Working with surface mount technology is better than those through the hole leds for handhelds.  You think you're going to be able to stick any of those in the PS Vita? Probably not.  You can get any color smt led, for dirt cheap from hong kong.  And I'm talking dirt cheap. I bought 100 3mm leds for a dollar, colors red, blue, green, yellow, and white tonight. Once you start progressing in modding technique, you're always going to want to add more.  Those leds you're scrapping from things are going to run out, etc..

I'm trying to point you in the right direction!! Once you start actually doing big projects, you won't be able to recycle parts from everything..

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 02:03:09 AM »
haha i know that, when i need to i'll buy online, but so far i havent ever had to. with the exception of my laptop battery, when i could get it for cheaper online ($47) it was obviously better than paying $110 to get it imported from japan from the exact same manufacturer.
when i start to need more SMD leds, i will start to buy them online, but for the mods im doing for the moment, SMD leds are the last thing i would really need.

but on another note, i never even intend on putchasing the PS Vita, whats wrong with the 1, 2 and 3k?

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
haha i know that, when i need to i'll buy online, but so far i havent ever had to. with the exception of my laptop battery, when i could get it for cheaper online ($47) it was obviously better than paying $110 to get it imported from japan from the exact same manufacturer.
when i start to need more SMD leds, i will start to buy them online, but for the mods im doing for the moment, SMD leds are the last thing i would really need.

but on another note, i never even intend on putchasing the PS Vita, whats wrong with the 1, 2 and 3k?

Absolutely nothing, I still use my 1k! :D

I'm just saying, as technology advances, they have to cram more stuff into smaller spaces, and by the power that the Vita is supposed to be packing, I highly doubt that you could fit 3mm leds in it.  Of course those trigger buttons you could drill holes in, but it wouldn't look as clean..

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 06:39:46 PM »
hell even on the 1k I had to drill big holes in the triggers
I'm getting the vita but wont mod it until something goes wrong and I have to take it apart to fix it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal