Author Topic: Trying to repair a JDM-055  (Read 8281 times)

Offline gmc

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Trying to repair a JDM-055
« on: September 05, 2019, 01:18:21 AM »
Got a controller that is dead in the water.
Battery at 0V and its dead when I connect up a  usb cable to the PS4 (Also tried connecting to usb charger)

Checked all the usual suspects, flex ribbon fine. Measured 5V is getting to the PCB when connected to usb. Also tried removing the Li-Ion battery and charged separately. Put it back, made no difference.
Checked for shorts on caps, supply rail, no luck.

Been googling and from what little I can find the S2PG001 might be the suspect, but that's just guessing.  The supply from the battery goes directly to this chip.

Anyone know what this chip is? There is no info on this, a few queries from some Polish boards but Google translate shows no decent info.

Is this PCB ready for the scrap pile :(

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Trying to repair a JDM-055
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 04:07:19 AM »
Good luck. About the only IC in that package I can find is a Serializer or some Dual output 3/2 phase controller for CPUs.

It's some form of PMIC, but with the amount of money that company straight up throws into redesigning their controllers over and over and over again, it's probably some one off chip they had someone spin up for them, or at the very least something rebranded and over paid for so that the tech info for it will never see the light of day.

With how complicated PMIC chips are now, I wouldn't look at just that thing being the cause as really a whole mess of events need to happen for it to be able to do it's thing, so even the bigger MCU on there could be at fault, or some passive component going out of spec, or even the PCB itself could have a failure being multi-layered.

If I suspected that chip, I'd put it on the pile and wait for another -055 to come along that worked and then I'd swap them and see what happened. Lot of work? Yep. A real PITA? Yep. But would you then know for sure if that was the silver bullet? Probably, as long as the rework process didn't botch anything else up.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline gmc

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 07:57:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep it aside for one say when i have a spare chip to swap out and will then know for sure.
As you said unlikely to find any info on the chip, let alone buying a replacement.  Damn you Sony!

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 04:01:32 PM »
Although you checked if the ribbon cable was okay and it seems to be fine, that could still be the culprit if the controller otherwise works, especially if it was swapped out for the wrong one. Try a whole new usb and ribbon connector, they’re cheap enough that is doesn’t hurt to try.

Offline Edgar990

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 05:59:32 AM »
When you conect the Usb cable, that IC starting to warm? Touch it, and coment please. I have that problen in 10 Boards Jdm-055.

Offline darksacor

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 02:21:14 PM »
When you conect the Usb cable, that IC starting to warm? Touch it, and coment please. I have that problen in 10 Boards Jdm-055.

I've same issue. If you find a solution I would like you to share it and vice versa. Greetings.

Offline sanjua_vino

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:33:26 AM by sanjua_vino »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 09:55:20 AM »
That chip isn't a BGA, so their description is all wrong. It'll be interesting to see if it's the correct one, but since they say it can't be delivered to the US I won't be the one to find out.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 05:45:25 AM »
as far as i guess its custom chip made by samsung, and samsung doesnt sell their parts to anyone.
That chip isn't a BGA, so their description is all wrong. It'll be interesting to see if it's the correct one, but since they say it can't be delivered to the US I won't be the one to find out.
qfn is often called bga

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 10:16:02 AM »
Maybe they do on Ali there, but QFN is never called BGA if you're actually wanting something in a QFN package.

Offline Taffleberry

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 04:37:46 AM »
Afternoon all. I've done some digging on this myself. Had a jdm055 controller randomly die on my after cleaning it and it ended up being this chip S2PG001A that had gone. The controller would work when plugged into usb or the base station charger but no battery power at all. If you have a multimeter, find a ground point (there's two holes in the board on the right hand side near the charge board connector) and test the caps around the chip. You'll probably find a couple shiorting to ground
 Replacing this chip brought my controller back, I was lucky enough to have a donor board to take one from. it's a qfn package, 60 pin. It's available on AliExpress but they aren't cheap.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal