Author Topic: Dualsense analog trace location.  (Read 623 times)

Offline bela lugosi

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Dualsense analog trace location.
« on: April 19, 2021, 04:19:53 PM »
Hello. So I've replaced the left analog stick with some success, after that, the analog position seemed to change to the upper left position. Upon measuring the analog potentiometer, it's about 10 less than the right, working stick. So i tried following the traces and came to this point where i can't find where it goes, it seems to go under the board. It should probably be a capacitor right? as if it was a resistor it'd probably be higher voltage than the right stick. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm completely new to this.

https://imgur.com/a/LgpOXbD

I can take a picture of my board for further inspection, this is an example.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:08:48 PM by bela lugosi »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Dualsense analog trace location.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 06:12:55 PM »
It's about 10 less what?

There are no Caps or Resistors in or on the Analog lines for the Sticks, they go straight to the MCU, and it's a 6 layer PCB, so you can't see where a lot of that stuff goes, unless you completely strip one down layer by layer.

If it is stuck in the Up/Left position, that would mean both Analog lines were shorted to ground, that's not usually the case, or that the 1.8v for the POTs on that Stick is missing.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:14:11 PM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline bela lugosi

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 06:57:05 PM »
Hi, it's not up left to the extreme, just a little bit out of center position. Right Analog Stick reads 0.85v and Left Analog stick reads 0.95v. Both on neutral position. It should be the same, right?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 07:59:01 PM »
Not exactly the same. They are calibrated after they are made to whatever stick they were made with, and changing a stick or just the POT on there can sometimes throw it off just a little bit because it's not the exact same as the one it was made with.

There are several ways to go about tweaking it back so it centers up where it needs to be, as it's an issue on the DS4 and XB1 controllers also when changing out sticks.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline bela lugosi

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 08:12:55 PM »
So what do you think is the best option in this case?

Also. upon inspection of my board, i've noticed 3 very small components that went missing after i replaced the analog stick. I've circled them in red. I don't know if that's related to the analog stick. Everything else works normal.

https://imgur.com/a/qdk6ipt

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 08:41:10 PM »
None of those are causing the stick drift. The 2 caps close to each other are on the M+ and M- lines for the motor in the LT assembly and the one by itself is just a decoupling cap on the 1.8v rail, and there are loads more of those around so that one missing isn't hurting anything.

You'll have to look around the different threads here on stick drift, of just Google it up, as there are literally more than a handful of ways that it can be dealt with, and one method is really no better than any other and it makes no matter what controller you see what method done on as it's the exact same issue and 'fix' for all of them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal