Author Topic: Got a used xbox today at game stop and it came with a surprise!  (Read 8357 times)

Offline Dun_it_right

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The greatest lovers were murderers first.
Got a used xbox today at game stop and it came with a surprise!
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:23:49 PM »
I went out to get a used Fat PS2 to mod around with today and I saw the XBOX was cheaper than the PS2 so I decided why not just get it instead?

Came home plugged it in started it up and at first I got the "needs repair" message or what ever but then it went to the XBOX dash board. Ok so Im like WTF?, what was that about? So I check out everything to see what music the guy before was into and what games. Well the music was a bunch of stupid crap so I got rid of all of it and went into games saves and that is when I say the weird stuff and new what the message was all about. I saw SID 4 installer, ??OXM DISC 11??, Splinter cell (with the linux save, thats when I new what was up,...kinda), Then came the Unleash X save.

Ok I have been searching and this is getting confuseing. So far I figured out after I re-booted ( unleashx worked great ) that the Unleashx is a dashboard and then I figgured out that the person did have some games dumped into the HDD.

Can someone help me by explaining in a very simple way for what all this is and what the hell I can do with it. I started reading today about softmodding a XBOX and was kinda wanting to get into it but I did not expect any of this. Kinda cool huh? I just wish I knew more about it now that I have it. All I was going to do was get the good old ghost case and CCFL's since I cant do anything really cool with my PS2 slim but play backups.

Any that helps,....Thanks a million!

PvP_LostKnight

Re: Got a used xbox today at game stop and it came with a surprise!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 01:40:05 AM »
was it softmodded or hardmodded?

Offline spelman07

• BANNED
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 04:30:09 AM »
Softmodded lol if it had SID Installer

Offline Dun_it_right

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 05:23:37 AM »
 :help:

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 07:04:19 AM »
what size is the hard drive in it,if it had a few games on it then it cant be stock,imagine u got like a 160gb that would be awesome lol!what kind of idiot would trade that in though!...w8 a minute that idiot!,good find my friend good find,i still have to get a new hdd for my xbox,hopefully a 500gb seagate barracude cos i can get 2 of them for 200 euro's which is awesome,one for my pc on for the xbox
Derp.

Offline Dun_it_right

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 08:47:11 AM »
I'm amazed cause I still have yet to figure this thing out. I don't think all the files and folders are here so I wanna find a way to reset the dashboard or dump a new one in if I can. Does anyone think they could help me?
Oh yeah Ryan the real reason why I am like WTF? is that I do have 2 games on it, Spiderman and stupid Tony Hawk but thats its. The XBOX original dashboard tells me that,... well it seems as if no space has been used on the HD and the bottom don't show any signs of anyone opening it up at all! All the stickers are like brand new unless it went in to get refurbed and they didn't look it over well they just cleaned it up.

I am really trying to figure out how much space I do have so if anyone can help me I would appreciate it so much cause I also want to know if it is chipped or not. I mean if they opened it up to put in a new HD and could keep the stickers looking fresh than why not a chip as well. I also dont want to take it back and exchange it cause this is exactly what I planned on eventually doing to it but I was dreading that cursed USB splicing crap with the controller!

I know its not all together  there cause why the hell would they ditch it like that, I would only imagine it was for a PS3 or 360.

I GOT IT FOR $50!

Another funny thing is that the dates of the SID4 and the Linux saves go back to 2001! The game save ( Splinter Cell ) that the Linux came on is dated to 2007!

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »
the reason the saves are old is cos he didnt set the clock when he turned it on after pulling it out of the socket,do u have unleashx on it?if u do it should tell you how much free space u have on the dash,do u want to put the ms dash back on it or something?
Derp.

Offline Dun_it_right

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 12:44:22 PM »
Its def the factory HD. It says it has 125.92MB left on C and 1,461.52 on E. So I have to go get a bigger one soon or at least when I want to start dumping games to the XBOX.

I can access the XBOX dash but, I want to reinstall unleashx a EASY way now that I have it cause I have feelings that files are not all here. I may even kinda want to do a different dash altogether and take advantage of the fact I have all the saves I need on the HD like SID4 and the linux. I really wanted to do this myself but like Im saying I dont feel like going through hell with the USB and controller method and I cant get my PC to FTP to my XBOX either. Everytime I try it says its connected for a few seconds then it gets lost.

Can I put dashboards on a disk and use them? I put a update of unleashx on a DVD and I used the file explorer and I got the files but I couldnt figure out what to do from that point, if I could do anything.

This is all very new to me Im used to good old swap magic and PS2, the whole thing is very user friendly and Im not that great with technical stuff like this.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 03:13:39 PM by pspkicks316 »

Offline P3nnyw1se

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • AcidMaG
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »
Yours shouldn't be glued shut like mines was...... :hifive:

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »
Talk about playing backups one more time and you're gonna have a problem.DON'T do it again.

Offline P3nnyw1se

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • AcidMaG
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »
Note: It is LEGAL to try a full game that you don't own, rom/iso or w/e, for 24 HOURS.  After that, you MUST DESTROY the COPY that you HAVE IN YOUR POSESSION!

An interesting little loop I found, lol.

Offline Dun_it_right

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »
What back ups I thought the ones I spoke of were legal?

I mentioned the ones it came with, I didn't think that would technically be a problem. If so sorry.

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 04:36:36 AM »
nope, you dont own the disc, delete them or keep the quiet.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline Dun_it_right

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 06:04:10 AM »
nope, you dont own the disc, delete them or keep the quiet.

I got rid of the two games :hifive:. I don't even like those ones but unleashx and sid4 and the softmoding are allowed are they not? And I really didn't make any big talk of backups either so I don't really see what the big deal is. Its not the topic and I don't intend on talking of back ups cause I KNOW THEY AREN'T LEGAL! but the Unleashx and SID4 are mentioned else where here and on many other sites.

PSPKICKS316, sorry didn't mean to offend you I think you should just cool down a bit :sadno: my only intention was to share the fact I bought a softmoded XBOX from a chain store accidentally and ask for some help with anything legal.

Offline spinal

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 05:04:39 PM »
Note: It is LEGAL to try a full game that you don't own, rom/iso or w/e, for 24 HOURS.  After that, you MUST DESTROY the COPY that you HAVE IN YOUR POSESSION!

An interesting little loop I found, lol.

Not at all, what you have found is a lie, nothing else. In most countries, it is COMPLETELY ILLEGAL to have a backup of ANY media that you did you did not do yourself. Your backup could come from the internet, or some guy you know, either way, COMPLETELY ILLEGAL!
An interesting note, in some countries it is even illegal to make a backup yourself and there is no legal reason for having one.

So, in one sentence, If you do not own the exact disk that the backup is made from, and you did not make that backup yourself, then you have absolutely no legal right to have that backup even for a fraction of a second. Also you can not lend/copy/upload this backup you created to anyone else.

The 24-hour rule is an urban legend created and circulated to justify violations of copyright law on the Internet. Under copyright law, "Anyone who violates any of the exclusive rights of the copyright owner [reproduction, adaptation, distribution to the public, public performance, public display, rental for commercial advantage or importation] is an infringer of the copyright or the right of the author..." Section 501(a) of the Copyright Act. Infringement may occur by downloading software, uploading software, making software available for download, and transmitting software files. Whenever the distribution of a computer program occurs without the consent of the software publisher, it is a direct infringement of the copyright law. The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of a program, even for only 24 hours, is illegal. The amount of time is not an exempting factor.

Offline TR4G-

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 07:06:03 PM »
www.xbox-scene.com
has ALL the info ull ever need on ur xbox [and then some]

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 04:57:10 AM »
w8 im confused ur saying theres game on the xbox xoz thats like mine :P

but mines got a computer hardrive instaled into it then i got the xbox to recgonise i got a friend to do that and i loaded games etc on it

i think its illgeal o.O if so delete my post if u wish

Offline bm123456

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 02:06:32 AM »
Sorry if  this post is to old to reply , you can get flash FXP or some other ftp program and install all the files you need or find you need from the usual xbox sites , or the new unleashed dash board , if it is a dual boot soft you can boot to unleashed dash with the power button and stock xbox with eject .  if you want to upgrade your hdd you need a program called chimp and ftp it on your c drive and run it under applications it will walk you through the steps if your xbox is a 1.6  you have to use telnet to view the chimp program .. anyway hope this helps .. if you need help with the emulators just give me a shout :victory:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal