Author Topic: [POC] SD Card as Memory for PSP  (Read 160998 times)

Offline squee

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: [POC] SD Card as Memory for PSP
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2008, 11:15:46 AM »
Just spit-balling here, but wouldn't it be possible to  simple do away with the MS part of it all and simple wire the adapter into the USB port and perhaps using something like IRShell? Since you can always be in USB Mode in IRShell, wouldn't it work if the MS was formatted correctly?

Offline Phaal

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2008, 12:48:06 PM »
I have an idea on how to do this with a multi-card slot.  The card slot has separate pins for the SD card and the MS Pro Duo card.  If you were to wire from the MS port to the MS pins on the multi-card slot and wire to the MS to SD Micro adapter and connect the adapter to the SD side of the multi-card reader it could work.

____[Multi-card]
       /                    |
[PSP]                     |
       \____[MS to SD]

Offline JefeSand

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »
Squee, no you can't wire it into the usb adapter and expect it to read.  The psp has usb client function only.  For more info on that I would suggest reading everything that Pvp has been doing to create a usbhost "adapter" for the psp. 
Phaal, nice idea. It may be difficult to wire though but your idea should work. I'm currently working on something else but as soon I get a chance I'm going to give that a try. Unless you beat me to it.

Offline RONE

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2008, 06:03:05 PM »
Doesn't pvp have an i pod in his psp?

Offline JefeSand

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2008, 09:26:23 PM »
Doesn't pvp have an i pod in his psp?

No, it maybe a harddrive from an ipod but it is not an ipod.  He has possibly an ipod hard drive connected to a usb interface connected to a device that can act as a true stand alone usbhost for the psp, then that is connected to the psp. The problem they are having now is programing the usbhost to correctly communicate with the psp and harddrive so that both devices can understand each other.

Offline RONE

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2008, 07:24:35 PM »
aliander i sent you a message

Offline TheGrandPubaa

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Just a gamer...
    • VG Theory Productions
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2008, 12:57:24 AM »
First, a slight contribution to the thread.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211245

16GB SDHC card from newegg.com, $64.99 plus $4.99 shipping.

Second, is there any feesible way to bump up the data transfer rate to a slightly higher speed than 3-4 MB/s? Maybe a different MicroSD-to-Pro Duo adapter(does one even exist)? Smaller load times on games would be great, but it doesn't seem like this current setup significantly improves load speed(I could be wrong).
www.vgtheory.com
--
Eagerly anticipating Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metal Gear Solid 4, and ever hopeful for a surprise announcement for Shenmue 3.

Offline cyloh

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2008, 12:18:17 PM »
I've got a non-branded micro SD -> MS adapter on its way to me. Roughly around $10 inclusive of delivery.
I suspect it'll be the same speed as mentioned by aliander, but who knows? When I get it I'll report it to all
here.

Also another possibility would be the 3.80+ firmware limiting the read/write speeds?

Offline tbag

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • photo
one step at a time, one step at a time.

mod at pspbrew.com

Offline stankbot

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2008, 01:46:22 PM »
Has anyone had a problem with the transfer speeds yet?  I understand its pretty much half speed as regular mspd, but does it really effect load times majorly?

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2008, 05:19:40 PM »
i dont get it

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2008, 11:51:50 PM »
hi there!

@stankbot:
More speed would be fun, but as a normal MS Pro Duo Sandisk with 2 GB just gives 5-6 MB/Sec (wich is even way faster than one from sony) you don't feel much of an difference at loading from the SD Card.
At the moment I'm repairing a bricked PSP. When I have it up and running I will try out different firmwares, maybe it is (as already mentioned) only an problem on 3.80...

@luke101a:
what's the problem?

bye
 Ali

Offline brentbizzle

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2008, 06:23:58 AM »
Was thinking about going the multicard reader route... but there's a few problems for those wanting a CLEAN mod.

1. I haven't been able to find a muticard reader that can take pro duos without an adapter

That being said

2. If you could replace the original reader with a multicard reader, then you would need the adapter and your MS would stick out.

3. Even with the multicard reader, an SD card would stick out.

4. The only way to counteract this is to mount the reader in the UMD drive area. That way it can be concealed.

5. Mounting in the UMD drive area makes the idea of a multicard reader pointless. You could just get an SD slot and mount that in the UMD drive area and use the stock slot for your MS.

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2008, 07:50:28 AM »
hi brentbizzle,

yes, thought about this.

most multicard readers only take ms duo as you said and are way to big to fit into the original psp ms pro duo slot place. So I thought of modifying the original slot. something like making it 1mm wider and stock it ab for 1-2mm. now put sd card pins on the downside und leave the ms pro duo pins on the upside. so we would be able to insert sd and ms pro duo just depending on the card and wich side is up of the card.

but at the moment I'm to frightend to try this. but I've got a bricked psp here, when it get's out, that it is totally screwed I gonna do it with that original slot - to give the whole thing finally a try...

placing into umd-drive:
i wouldn't put an multicard reader umd. I would put the sd card reader with an push to eject mechanism into the drive space and make the eject mechanism the switch for sd <-> ms pro duo.

another idea would be to but an card reader into a empty umd case, so you have to insert a umd to connect and sd card - that's a quite funny idea anyway ;)

bye ali

Offline brentbizzle

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2008, 08:12:55 AM »
most multicard readers only take ms duo as you said and are way to big to fit into the original psp ms pro duo slot place. So I thought of modifying the original slot. something like making it 1mm wider and stock it ab for 1-2mm. now put sd card pins on the downside und leave the ms pro duo pins on the upside. so we would be able to insert sd and ms pro duo just depending on the card and wich side is up of the card.

This would be cool, but would mean pretty much creating your own socket... which is not going to be an easy task. If you can pull a mod like this off that would be awesome... but it just doesn't seem practical.

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2008, 11:22:24 PM »
hi there again!

yes, it really seems to be a little bit tricky... and has a high frustration-probability ;)
the lack of space doesn't make it easier

so first I want to unbrick this psp and test out reading speeds with different CFWs. Would be great if it is only the 3.80 doing bad on transfer rates.
and then I gonna think again about slot creation

bye
 Ali

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2008, 12:30:41 AM »
another one:

just mentioned that dark_alex got the old 3.71 driver for the memory stick running on 3.80/3.90

I will try this out tonight (let's say in 9-12h)

bye
 Ali

Offline tbag

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • photo
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
why not just use the one from the original post with a switch conected to the duo card adaptor that comes with a pro duo? that would give you both.
one step at a time, one step at a time.

mod at pspbrew.com

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2008, 03:27:32 AM »
hi there!

first: Sorry, I didn't managed to get the time to test the adapater with the 3.71 drivers. Will do this during the day now...

@tbag:
the one I now use (from the "original" post) doesn't have a "push to eject" mechanism. So you would have to manually switch every time you change from ms<->sd or just swap sd cards. With a push to eject mechanism you can use that as the switch so it will "auto recognize" swapping etc...
And done this internal as multicard reader would be just great ;)

At the moment I have the cardreader just simply taped to the backplate of my psp. Well, it works, but it kinda sucks. But stuff that actually works always makes one kind of lazy, when it comes to improvement ;)

bye
 Ali

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2008, 08:35:04 AM »
ok so my psp is completely dissasembled umd drive and all.i have a mobile mate sd plus with all kinds of translators so how did you wire yours i want to be able to combine a couple sdhc cards and a 2 gig duo do i need to daisy wire the cards or use a mem card reader like my mobile mate, or an idea can u just parrelel wire cards or do i need the multi card reader and can u just put another mini card between each 4gig  and wire all syncs to geather and use as one card plz let me know psp is in pices

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2008, 05:20:09 AM »
Hi there!

So I did some measurements... here it comes:
I changed my measuring tool, so I simply post some screens for now

1. SDHC 16GB trough card-reader (to simply test the speed of the sdhc card itself)

2. SDHC 16GB through Adapter (SD->MS Pro Duo)

3. SDHC 16GB through PSP CFW 3.80 m33-5

4. SDHC 16GB through PSP CFW 3.80 m33-5 with patched 3.71 MS driver

So, there isn't really much of an difference between 3.80 and 3.71, isn't it?

I'm sorry, but for now I don't have an Memory Stick Pro Duo lying around to do some reference testing...
Maybe someone else can do this?
Else refer to my first postings in this thread

bye
 Ali
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 05:22:40 AM by aliander »

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2008, 05:26:16 AM »
@folklord36:
sorry, but I can't follow you... So what exactly are you going to do?

But what I can say is, that simply parallel wiring cards won't get you a single big card ;)
You could wire it parallel and make switches for them (think the source voltage will do), but this isn't much of a fun - so you always will have to switch around to make the right card working...

And for wiring diagrams just scroll through the thread, there are some in here

bye
 Ali

Offline cyloh

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2008, 05:34:21 AM »
This might run out of topic abit but I'm just trying my luck here.
Anyone knows if 8gb micro SD will work with those adapters?
If it does I guess I'll just save myself the trouble and work with
micro sd's instead of soldering work.

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2008, 05:58:16 AM »
Hi cyloh!

Yes, should do.

There is no difference between using an microSD or SD Card in the perspective of the ms pro duo -> microSD adapter.

Offline cyloh

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2008, 06:18:17 AM »
Thanks for the assurance aliander!

I was worried if the adapter could translate SDHC data or not.
But if a 16gb SDHC will work, in theory a micro SDHC should work.
Owh well, I'm gonna risk $55 for a 8gb micro SDHC to see if this
works.

Owh, in terms of speed, is your 16gb SD a Class6? That might
help.

At those speeds you're showing us, we'd probably need to run
uncompressed ISOs for acceptable loading/gaming. CSO compressions
might be irritating with those read/write.

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2008, 07:26:13 AM »
Hi there!

Yes, my SDHC is a Class 6 Card.

And no, we don't need to use ISOs for acceptable loading/gaming. Just the other way round would be more correct, cause we transfer less data from the SD Card.
But at the moment I'm very pleased with the speed, when it comes to gaming. So that's definetly not the problem. It would be just nice to have the full transfer rate of the SDHC Card when it comes to simple data transfer... but in that case you also can just pull out the card and throw it into an card reader to write big stuff like ISO/CSO or movies or discographies on the card.

bye then,
 Ali

Offline Infrit121

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2008, 08:34:16 AM »
Just wondering insteed of using that adapter ... using one with like a USB plug at the end ???... then u may be able to stick in any like thumb drive or even a portable HDD

http://www.1compras.com/images/products_images/unfurl/1cob201ras.jpg

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2008, 09:04:18 AM »
omfg (oh my fooking god)

that is what he did, but you mean if he put a female usb connection on the end he may be able to use any usb device
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline aliander

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2008, 09:31:09 AM »
Just simply look at the work done by PvP
you can't simply but an usb thingie to that, cause you'll need an usb host. but the psp doesn't act as host, but as client -> you need some stuff between two clients. That is what PvP was/is doing.

bye
 Ali

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »
he was only needing a host because it is through a usb which means he needs to use usb host fs to access read/write any file through the usb as it is not used in games but the memory stick is, so if you wired a female usb connection to the mspd slot on your psp much like the card reader but then attach an external usb hard drive then the driver for the psp may or may not recognize the drive as a memory stick / storage device as it would be running through the memory card slot not the usb port, which is not what pvp was/is doing
----- F@T3oYCG -----

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal