Author Topic: IPOD as Mass Storage?  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Dunpeal1978

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
IPOD as Mass Storage?
« on: April 03, 2008, 06:29:15 PM »
I have a hacked PHAT PSP with 32mb card,and a 4th gen 20gb click wheel IPOD. Is there a way for me to use it as a mass storage device for my media,games,etc? I just wanna drag and drop my PC files on there and be able to access them.

Offline loganbyers07

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: IPOD as Mass Storage?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 06:35:59 PM »
not really but maybee you should check out the internal hard drive project and see about taking your hard drive out of it and putting it in your psp.

Thanks for the sig dhuvrock2000

The best way to get cool gaming stuff for free!

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »
lol ya just type mass storage in the search field. their is a big project going on. but maybe you could find PVP at his college campus and force him to give you the program he used to run the ipod with the PSP.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:31:36 AM »
thats wat PvP did with a 30gb but he's left the forum now with his mystory of internal HD
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Thorax

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:51:30 AM »
Quote from: gameking21
lol ya just type mass storage in the search field. their is a big project going on. but maybe you could find PVP at his college campus and force him to give you the program he used to run the ipod with the PSP.
That "Program" is just USB host from the app "IRShell". Google IRShell and download it to your PSP. I don't know anything about Ipod HD's, but if you connect it to the PSP's USB port, you can do what he did.

Offline Dunpeal1978

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 11:10:49 AM »
1) he told everyone in his last reply that he also used a PCB board.
2) you cannot use the USBhost from IRSHELL because neither the PSP or iPOD can be a host.

What he did was put the internal of a iPOD into the UMD slot and then attatched the iPOD hard drive to a PCB board with a chip attached to trick the PSP into thinking it was a HOST computer. He also said he is working on making the PSP the HOSt. If you google any of this you'll see that no one has been able to make the PSP or iPOD into a HOST. They would have to run the USBhostFS.exe which PSP cannot,and Linux cannot run a PC Executable.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 03:20:14 PM by Dunpeal1978 »

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:24:49 PM »
just as dunpeal said, except he is not using he whole ipod, just the HDD. The board is either VDIP1 or VDIP2 from vinculum. these boards have a USB host ic embedded in them. you must monitor this to the MCU or a CPU to send comands to the VNC1L embedded on the VDIP1 or 2. Without the monitored MCU or CPU, the whole device loses host functionality. using the VDIF firmware, which you must flash to the device. I was working with Vinculum for a while, and we almost have it u and running. they are helping me out, because when i tried it all, i could see the files through IRshell, but not access them.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »
ya thats thats hard part get the files read. but the other part is having it read at a fast enough pace to run games and music and movies off of. usbhostfs has a problem of not running fast enough and compatible with some games and operations.

Offline drahz

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 07:04:39 AM »
Dunpeal1978

1) he told everyone in his last reply that he also used a PCB board.
2) you cannot use the USBhost from IRSHELL because neither the PSP or iPOD can be a host.

What he did was put the internal of a iPOD into the UMD slot and then attatched the iPOD hard drive to a PCB board with a chip attached to trick the PSP into thinking it was a HOST computer. He also said he is working on making the PSP the HOSt. If you google any of this you'll see that no one has been able to make the PSP or iPOD into a HOST. They would have to run the USBhostFS.exe which PSP cannot,and Linux cannot run a PC Executable.

I do agree that the Key here is the PCB - I've seen in the pics.  I'm 100% positive that the chip on the PCB was flashed with the necessary code to interface with IRShell as Flash0.  As for Linux not being able to run a M$DOS exicutable - Not exactly. There are 2 possible scenarios there.  the USBhostFS.exe also comes with the source code and can easily be compiled into a Linux binary, or you could use wine (although hardly practical to emulate windows in this case)

The fact of the matter is that PVP was not honest, and that was faked (or he had good intentions and jumped the gun).  I'm sure he jumped the gun on what he was talking about.  I'd say this is a UFO sighting and got everyone's hopes up, even mine.  I'm 100% sure that it's possible to add a hdd to the PSP we just all have to be willing to take the sucker apart and try!

So I challenge you all to stop asking questions and figure it out.  Give a man a fish and he will eat for a night, teach that man how to fish and he will eat for a life time.

this pertains to the other posters:

for future reference's   and hard drive is abbreviated as HDD (hard disk drive) NOT HD's or HD

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 07:06:17 AM by drahz »
========================================
I have bad dreams and I poop alot.

Offline DuMaMay

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 09:03:42 AM »
where is he anyways? anyone got an aim or msn of his?
console list: psp, regular ds, xbox, ipod touch (new new new!)

VoX

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »
He deleted his account from this forum, so its hard to get in contact with him unless you personally know him.

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 05:35:54 PM »
He deleted his account from this forum, so its hard to get in contact with him unless you personally know him.

PVP is back on..
i got his msn too..

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 05:50:23 PM »
everyone was sooo dumb, and was being mean to Pvp that he left again. besideds, if someone either:
1. donates me like 60 bucks
                or
2. sells me a super cheap psp with custom firmware(doesnt have to read disks or have wifi, etc.)

and i should be able to have a up and running version of it.

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 05:58:24 PM »
everyone was sooo dumb, and was being mean to Pvp that he left again. besideds, if someone either:
1. donates me like 60 bucks
                or
2. sells me a super cheap psp with custom firmware(doesnt have to read disks or have wifi, etc.)

and i should be able to have a up and running version of it.

hmm very tempting ....... i will think bout the second choose

thank u P3nnywise for the sig
"See you have to understand the difference. The difference between me and you is to you, this is your job. To me, this is my life. The club; that's my job. The mall; that's my job. Your neighborhood; that's my job. This studio; this is my life. This is what I do better than anything."

Offline Gamer4life

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I will be a Gamer until i die.
    • my own site please join and be active
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 07:23:24 PM »
has any1 thought of taking the ipods hard drive and hooking it up somehow 2 datels 4gb hard drive that goes in the psp would that work

98% of teenage population has tried smoking pot if you're part of the 2% who hasn't copy & paste this into your sig

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »
me and gameking21 were thinking of ordering the neo 4in1 that would be compatiable with CF cards and ipod hdd i think wat format r they in
well anyway we didn't cause we didn't have the cash we need 130usd+shipping and we were going to do a tut to make it internal and go up to 32gb's of mem
also if anyone wants to start this back up i am willing to go halfs or something

links

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,1387.0.html

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=31&cat=7&bestseller=Y

thank u P3nnywise for the sig
"See you have to understand the difference. The difference between me and you is to you, this is your job. To me, this is my life. The club; that's my job. The mall; that's my job. Your neighborhood; that's my job. This studio; this is my life. This is what I do better than anything."

Offline DuMaMay

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »
found out his msn: tenacioustbagger@hotmail.com thanks al for info! passing it onto whoever wants it
console list: psp, regular ds, xbox, ipod touch (new new new!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal