Author Topic: How do I fix this Ipod????  (Read 1930 times)

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
How do I fix this Ipod????
« on: April 05, 2008, 03:43:59 PM »
 :help:
Ok...here is part of the story. This one guy at my school had me buy his craig mp3 with video (broke at the time of sale) I got it home and I noticed that the backlight ribbon was broke off, so I resoldered it and it worked...a few days later I traded the craig for this mp3:http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/RoBot1ks/DSC00454.jpg

Part two: This guy has a real problem with breaking stuff...he has a third mp3 that is broke and he wants me to fix it...what the heck?...Anyway, I am currently trying to fix his 2nd gen Ipod nano...And then buy it. But, when I opened it up and everything, this is what I found: The ribbon cable to the hold switch is broke in two:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/RoBot1ks/DSC00446.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/RoBot1ks/DSC00448.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/RoBot1ks/DSC00447.jpg

If I just soldered the two sides of the connector together (coming from the ipod) and just leave the hold button disabled, will that work? Like put some solder on the end of the cable so that both wires are connected If you get what I'm saying

I just figured I'd ask before I short anything

Thanks

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
Re: How do I fix this Ipod????
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:49:56 AM »
you may be able to make it so the hold switch is always open, so you will need to find the traces on the mobo end of the Ribbon that would be connected when the switch is in the open position.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:07:36 AM »
you may be able to make it so the hold switch is always open, so you will need to find the traces on the mobo end of the Ribbon that would be connected when the switch is in the open position.
Yeah I was thinking about that, but every time I get ready to solder I find something else that is wrong with it. I am just going to give it back to him. There is nothing else i can do with it... unless somebody wants to pay $40 for an almost completely useless ipod (except for screen) I think I have it fixed and then I notice more things wrong :nono:
But my friend's nintendo ds went well...I just replaced the top screen

I should start charging for helping people. That might sound bad, but I need to buy some different solder (the solder I have now contains lead and I have been using it for a while now) :wacko:

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »
It's amazing how he managed to crack out a iPod 2nd Gen Nano out of it's housing... you know it's one solid metal cage, how do you rip the guts out of it.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 03:55:19 PM »
it all pulls out one end afaik
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 04:10:35 PM »
I've done that too Fufa....wow,you never knew you could? Go check the tut on RapidRepair if you're interested...

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »
Yeah it was pretty easy, but in the end it turned out to be a piece of crap
oh well it happens...cheer up lol  :drunk:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal