Author Topic: vista question  (Read 6169 times)

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
vista question
« on: April 07, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »
hello guys, im running a hp laptop with 1g of ram and a 60g hd (i know its not alot but i was free) well anyways last week i was running xp and then i got a hold of vista... well anyways i installed vista and my computer has been too slow to play some of my favorite games. i tried using my psp 2g mem stick for ready boost but it wont work. so im wondering if downgrading back to xp will be worth it since all i really do on this computer is games and aim, and vista i really dont think that i would be able to enjoy the "vista compatibility" crap with how slow my computer is. if you have any ideas to speed up my computer because i really dont feel like spending 2hrs to go back to xp then can you help me out. also i dont really have any money so i cant upgrade my ram or anything.
thanks in advanced

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
Re: vista question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:57:36 PM »
It was a mistake to go to Vista, and with those specs twice a mistake, well you will need to go through those very extremly and not-doable two hour sitting and watching a loadbar move to get back to XP.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:54:59 PM »
well you could buy ram, but you don't have any money. im running vista on my system, and at idol it runs at about 1 gig. so your screwed. suck it up and down grade.

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:03:51 PM »
hey guys thanks for the replies, i was actually trying to go back to xp and after formatting my hd, turns out my recovery cd's were scratched to the point where it literally only installed 2 files... so i had to install vista again just to talk to my buddy about him lending me his cd's. man i made a really bad mistake installing vista lol. looks like ill just keep the cd until i get a better system.. :angry:

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »
Yeah, with Vista you need AT LEAST 2GB of RAM to be able to actually use the system well. More is recommended. And you should go download Fedora 8 and use that instead, it's MUCH better than Vista. I'm dual booting Fedora and Vista right now. =D

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »
im guessing 4gb would do good right?

...if i was given vista for free i mihgt actually upgrade...

anyway good luck on fixing the issue,

i recommend going back to xp, or using linux (as its free, and remains the only unhax'd OS at PWN2OWN)

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:16:36 PM »
the only complaint ive ever had about vista would be about compatibility. you know driver issues and so on.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 12:30:04 PM »
i have many complaints about vista. one it is the worst os ever made.
it has horrible compatibility issues.
gives you th black screen of death.(boots up but nothing shows start menu and desktop gone. but all your processes are running in the background)
the updates sometimes ruin your computer to were you have to restore.
the stupid promt that pops up to allow or deny(and if you turn it off good by computer.)
having to run most of or stuff in admin

now the only reason i use it is because it does do better internet wise. it is better then xp.
i can join to internet connections to geather. and networking is easy.

i use 1 gb of ram on one of my computers with vista on it. and it run smooth and i use all the features. dream scen and all.
but it is the worst os run fedora or Ubuntu to start out SUSE is good too.

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 02:02:22 PM »
see that makes me think that its your system that is causing those problems.

ive never black screened
never had a update issue
shut the prompt off with no ill effects
no issues with admin stuff

im not saying that its the best, but in is in no way the worst system ever made.

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 05:06:27 PM »
 i dont like vista stay on hp

Offline pinoyballa

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 05:17:45 PM »
i dont like vista stay on hp

you mean xp?? Well anyways Vista has it's problems but I like the look and the gadgets that you can have.

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 08:10:05 PM »
see that makes me think that its your system that is causing those problems.

ive never black screened
never had a update issue
shut the prompt off with no ill effects
no issues with admin stuff

im not saying that its the best, but in is in no way the worst system ever made.

Same here
I loved XP to death and learned all it's ins and outs and never thought I would have liked Vista as much as I do.  I can play Crysis in DX10 and Starcraft from 1998 without a hitch.  Just wish Peerguardian had a 64 bit version, but I can wait...

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »
well i feel the same way i knew xp inside out. but vista has it s really bad flaws but like i said the internet is amazing and networking is so easy. i do like the side bar. but peerguardian doesn't work.

but now that i got a macbook pro Sunday leopard is the best os ever made.
why have i been using windows all these years.?

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 10:47:43 PM »
meh, if i want to edit my photos or film ill jump on a mac, but not for much else. (talk about compatibility issues, granted you can get most of what you want your just paying more for it)*see below*

but seriously the problems you described sound like system errors not OS errors.

failure to boot could be hinting at a bad HDD or corrupt data
update issues could be along the same lines almost sounds like a bad HDD or a virus running a muck of things.

*EDIT*
NOT INTENDED TO START MAC PC ARGUMENT. A THREAD ALREADY EXISTS FOR THAT.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:49:27 PM by tec_in_the_making »

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 12:34:41 AM »
it could be but the popup of allow or deny is very annoying and point less. macs at least is worth the extra popup you have to enter your password unlike windows just hit the allow button their is no security in that.

plus with cross over and wine i can run all my windows based programs as if they were mac. i can run mac and windows apps from mac partition that is much more secure and viruse free with out using windows at all. best of both worlds. i do go to the vista partition sometimes just because i am more secure with the layout but i am going to my mac 90% or more.

trust me i was 100% windows guy until three days ago.

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 05:07:58 AM »
*EDIT*
NOT INTENDED TO START MAC PC ARGUMENT. A THREAD ALREADY EXISTS FOR THAT.

read

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 11:02:16 AM »
[rant]i think both os's have their goods and bads. and some like others over the other
fine

i like osx over windows. fine
someone else here im sure likes windows over osx. fine
osx and windows users srsly need to learn to get compatible (as in quit fighting), heck, the OS's already are (i share files from osx to windows, and windows to OSX -via macdrive- all the time..tis so nice!)

calling eachother stupid, and at this point, is stupid because we are each used to other things, etc etc etc
basically: get along. there is no more OS argument
dont call windows stupid
dont call osx stupid
dont call linux stupid
they're all great and wonderful technological accomplishments by people[/rant]

as for the vista thing, vista is fine, people say good things, people say bad things
seems like the more tech-saavy are fine with it while regular joe might have issues because they are not perhaps good with computers and/or os's
w/e. joe should get tech support from saavy guy and things should be fine

as for this guy's issue, i had a point in my mbp's life where it would boot into neither system. windows because it was seen as not bootable because a partition program royally f**k'd it over, and OSX because the file table was corrupt (easy reisntall fixed all that). in his case, failure to boot could be an actual HDD issue (possibly based on how old it is, but all hard drives are a time bomb for issues anyway...) or if he somehow, while trying to rid of vista, didsomthing that messed with the OS that allowed no booting

ccccpie

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »
Remember kids, Fighting on the internet is like the special olympics, you may win, but you're still retarded.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 11:25:27 AM »
Remember kids, Fighting on the internet is like the special olympics, you may win, but you're still retarded.
thank you, wonderful point to augment the idea

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal