Author Topic: hackintosh  (Read 6170 times)

Offline loganbyers07

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
hackintosh
« on: March 14, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »
So i am getting ready to build a hackintosh... but i have a budget. I have around 450 to spend and i need a motherboard a cpu ram and a small hd that is fairly fast for my os What do you guys recomend?

Thanks for the sig dhuvrock2000

The best way to get cool gaming stuff for free!

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
Re: hackintosh
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 07:30:27 PM »
ILLEGAL

no speaking of this

Offline loganbyers07

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 08:07:51 PM »
I really did not think that this was illegal. I watched a cnet video and it said nothing about it being illegal. It said it was illegal to download the pre patched os but i am planning on patching it myself. I am really confused now.

Offline 4dP

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Modder For Hire - AM Donator
    • Modder For Hire website Hire me
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:19:43 PM »
are you talking about the insider secret where tom merriet shows how he's running tiger on a thinkpad in the video it clearly says theres lots of legal trouble you may get into with the milleinium thing and everything else

PINOY AKO

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »
Mac OSX on any computer but a mac is illegal...apple made it thier proprietary OS for their computers..nothign else

windows is different becasue microsoft is a software company, they dont also design the computers like apple and limit the os to one brand, the like all the brands (including apple) so they can sell their os

apple..no....illegal on anything but a mac

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 03:14:30 AM »
Yep, running anything mac on anything not a mac is illegal, just buy a Mac Mini for roughly the same price.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 04:00:25 AM »
well depending on country of residence and in general it is sketchy as to its legality

to build the hardware is legal to buy the mac os x from apple is legal

the gray area comes when patching the os where the part of the EULA that states not to be used on anything other than apple hardware certainly in the UK could be challenged in court under the unfair contract act 1977.

and if you buy it in a retailer you are in a contract with the retailer and not apple and therefore of the laws or your country/state. and im pretty sure that apples EULA says by the laws of the state of california which in part restricts them to that area.
there are quite a few parts of EULA contracts waiting to be challenged in courts so they will be big deciders on what parts of these unrealistic EULA's are valid and are not valid in certain countries

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 06:59:36 AM »
I say do it you buy the OS you buy the hardware everything is legally paid for and therefore you should be able to use just cause you dont wanna overpay for hardware doesnt mean you shouldnt be able to enjoy what you want.

Ken i wouldnt have done it any other way
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=15400.0

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 08:06:51 AM »
well thats the way it is

anyone can build a computer, anyone can go to an apple store and buy leopard, but like robin said it gets sketchy right there

plus, i believe one cannot simply put the leopard disk in the machine and instlal, i heard theere are tons of patches and workarounds that must be made to do so

but in the end: illegal
apple don't like that

Offline loganbyers07

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 08:30:27 AM »
just because apple dosent like it dosent mean it is neccesarily illegal. If it is explain how people are jailbreaking ipod touches isnt illegal. I think that apple really should not care if you go out and buy there os and dont go out and download it off of a bit torrent. It does not clearly state anywhere in the agreement it has to be installed on a system that is built by apple or it is illegal. So therefore it should not be illegal to install Leapord On a home built system. But whatever. What is you guys oppinion on the phenomenon processor and the spider board?

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 08:57:57 AM »
Crap, ATI/AMD have really failed with this one, an Intel/Nvidia combo is so much better.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 08:59:19 AM »
no, it does mean its illegal, they made it so (with their crackerjack team of lawyers and patent'ers)
this isnt about ipod touch, and we arent taking ipod touch software and putting it on a zune. and of course it wouldnt clearly state anything about that, there's so much fine print nowadays on software EULAs

despite how you think it shouldn't be illegal, it still is
one thing about apple is their controlled user experiance, which in this case is their restricting of their exclusive OS to their machines

now with the proceessor and the spider board, is that for a home made windows machine? ;) (wink wink)

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 09:05:46 AM »
as i said it probably isnt ilegal apple just dont like it so they say it is illegal as you have legally aquired both the os and the hardware so all you are doing when you patch it is like voiding your warrenty a bit like the psp its not illegal to put LED's in but im sure sony dont like you voinding the warrenty

so to me it is illegal especially as if you took a good look at most of the EULA's out there most of there terms would be illegal so therfore nulled so feel free to talk about it

anyway if your looking to build a hackintosh i saw this blog post a while ago that you might want to look at

Build a mac for $350

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 10:24:34 AM »
i saw a blog where it had an 800$ desktop that beat out the dual core macbook pro in most thing if not all an you could still upgrade it. wasnt a laptop though. and noah i dont see why you care unless you work for apple hes still gonna buy your beloved os so why do you care if he finds it better to not overpay for hardware.

Offline loganbyers07

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 11:10:22 AM »
yea i own a apple already just to ease your thoughts a little bit noah. I just want to build a kick  :censored: system on a budget and i just am tired of XP i really like Apple even though they over price some of there stuff. Here is the specs of what i think i will build.

It is from tiger direct

ECS A770M-A Motherboard CPU Bundle - AMD Phenom 9500 Processor 2.20GHz Retail

Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM

all totaling less than $400 I already have a 300 gb 7200 rpm sata and a case and the fans and drives.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 11:34:53 AM »
i saw a blog where it had an 800$ desktop that beat out the dual core macbook pro in most thing if not all an you could still upgrade it. wasnt a laptop though. and noah i dont see why you care unless you work for apple hes still gonna buy your beloved os so why do you care if he finds it better to not overpay for hardware.

i care because its illegal, m'kay...and illegal stuff is bad, m'kay...so dont do illegal stuff, m'kay..cause its bad...m'kay (im watchin south park)

but theres no worry now is there? he's building a new computer to run windows (WINK-jeesuschryst-WINK)

those specs look good..though the hard drive could be bigger

one more thing...for people who find use out of it and like it, they do not overpay for the apple hardware
the price and proprietary OS is part of the apple experiance, which is a very controlled experiance unless you deviate and put osx on another build of computer
some like the apple experiance, like me,
some do not
fine
but for jobs sake (see? i replaced god with jobs, really a pun isnt it? though he has a massive ego and is a jerk acutally...jobs)
please stop bashing the apple expieriance because its not for you

like pcs better? great! :D
go ahead'
our pal here is tired of XP, so he's gona build a new machine with XP (WINK-userobin'slinkandchecklifehackerisawsomthingonthereaboutthiskindathing-WINK)
am i bashing PC? no
am i bashing windows? no
i just prefer the apple experiance

one thing i will own up to is that i have bashed windows (the os, nothing about hte hardware, the other manufact. hardware and apple hardware are all good in my eyes, i just like apple a bit more)
and that is becasue my terrible experiance of having to reinstall it 15 literal times
im past that now, and it has been reliably stable for 2 months (though this comment might screw with karma and mess it up for me :P )

so i say no more bashing on either side
one thing i believe anyone will agree with is that apple is effing expensive, but for its uses and those who love and find use in them, its worth it

phew..

now: good luck building your PC with XP (WINK WINK)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:41:21 AM by noah03ark »

Offline loganbyers07

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 11:41:47 AM »
you tink i should get more that 380 gb of space? maybee i will pick up another like 250 or somethin then have  like 630 gb. That is enough if i wanted to i could set it up as a dvr and still use it is as my computer to design websites on.

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 12:10:49 PM »
I'd say go with 500 gb just to be safe and if you could afford make it 10,000 rpm. And all i was saying before noah is your getting the exact same hardware but in a prettier case for more money. this whole mac experience stuff is hoopla but whatever. K im done now too. Like i said though 320 gb is to small for me thats all i have now between 2 drives and i only have 90 gbs left which i will fill up quickly enough i just need it to last me about a year. So bottom line go bigger if money constraints dont hold you back plus an internal is always nicer then external since theyre always on and connected no worry about corrupting them.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 12:20:05 PM »
nothing hoopla whatsoever

now, as for space, 500 gb is good, i know the seagate 500gb drives are rather affordable (im building a new pc and getting one of those)

but hey, if you can afford it and could use it why not spring for a terabyte? :P

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 12:51:45 PM »
 :dribble: terabyte...........

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 12:29:10 AM »
i have almost 2 terabyte running on my computer now. it is still not enough. need more like 4 terabyte

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »
seriously thats just stupid. If you need 4 terabytes you dont clean up your drives much like cmon I know movies and stuff take up a lot of space but 4 terabytes I'm guessing the majority is movies and  or games.

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 03:03:48 PM »
it wont be that much if he uses uncompressed audio for lossless quality and if he rips his dvds at full quality then they will take a few gig each and if he has high def movies on his hdd then they munch space some clocking in at over 20gb each and i think thats when they are partially compressed.

also when i did my normal def 5 min long media studies project for AS it took up 25 gig for the project and sound files as in that 5 minutes there was over 2 hours of footage and audio and there were 2 version edits. and i have about 100gb of music and thats in 128kb mp3 format so it would probably be at least double that if i used lossless for all my encodeing

Offline loganbyers07

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 10:03:10 AM »
seriously thats just stupid. If you need 4 terabytes you dont clean up your drives much like cmon I know movies and stuff take up a lot of space but 4 terabytes I'm guessing the majority is movies and  or games.
yea that is a bit overkill for me but for some people 4 tb is what they need because they have like 3,000 dvds or something on there hard drive...

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 12:47:06 AM »
 back up 5 computers to my computer have lots of HD,avi,mp4,dvix movies. plus music that is the best sound quality and in mp4, lots of pfd,jpe,bmp files. lots of ipod hacking stuff(include resources firmwares ect.), psp hacking stuff(firmwares, back up of memorysticks(5 of them multiple times) hombrew applications) All my PSP games in iso or cso, all my PSX games files or eboot,all my GBadvance roms, and all my sega genesis, and all my PC games, all my program installs in iso or just uncompressed, four Os's, mac 10.4.9, Vista, Xp, ubuntu.

so 4 tb is not that much  it goes by quickly. some of the pc games are 7 to 8 gb GOW i think is 7. some of my applications are that big or if not bigger i had one that was 32 gb (it was that mac program that comes with a HDD for video editing.)i got it from a friend never used it yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal