Author Topic: PSP internal HDD mod with 80GB 1.8" ipod harddrive (or any other usb drive)  (Read 165577 times)

Offline anthonyta

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-0
good luck! im starting mine in 4-5 days when i get the parts

WOO Vietnameseeee

good luck to the both of you

Offline DuMaMay

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
i can see someone is one too. toi ten la tom, may la ay?
console list: psp, regular ds, xbox, ipod touch (new new new!)

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
so ur saying u know what pic's pvp used in that diagram? wat parts are you ordering what are you going to flash to those pic's plans for what ur doing would help. do u know pvp? how did u get his msn? u really shouldnt post ppls msn like that now anyone can see it. and if u ask pvp he wont tell you anything but well im releasing a new mod to use any usb memory. witch hes been saying hes gona release evey week for the past month says hes just looking for a site to release it

Offline mongol550

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
good luck! im starting mine in 4-5 days when i get the parts

edit edit edit

Thats really all you need for it to work??? I was looking on this forum for ideas before I discovered the NSLU2 method and found a thread with pictures of schematics drawn in a notebook from :censored:, but then I went to check later and the thread was gone.

I remember there were several more pics of the notebook with schematics and such, can you post the rest or is that all you have?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 04:28:28 PM by mongol550 »

Offline TheN0ble

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Seriously though, everyone else thats makes mods posts it, it's what everyone else does so why can't LostKnight just do the same? I mean, do you see Dark Alex not posting his stuff? Why is LostKnight begin shady? Can't he just at least post how he did it so people like mongol550 can figure it out?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:01:32 AM by TheN0ble »

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
nobie he is gone left skidatled he is MIA there will be no reply from him or his info on any HDD Mod there is no proof of it realy working and how he gave ideas to get it working but never a complete idea was conveyd properly to compile the good stuff from the bad. so it is up to anyone to dot his with a whole new idea or a complete one. and any one doing this good luck. dont give up.

VoX

Drop the issue about that guy, don't work off his notes either, they are probably fake anyway.  Do it yourself, learn more and then starting planning then complete the mod
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:56:41 AM by VoX »

Offline JefeSand

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
Just putting my 2 cents in.  If I were you I would buy a larger enclosure (or build one) and put all the components in it.  Your main problem with this mod is going to be size and power.  There is no way you can fit everything that is needed for this mod in the psp, well not without MAJOR modifications.  With the power issue, running this mod from the psp's battery alone will drain it fast. I'm guessing on the psp's stock battery it may last 2 hours. 

And for the questions on USB OTG it copies files from the hard drive to the psp's memory card.  The hard drive enclosure controls everything, it is the USB host and usually has limited functionality.

Offline mongol550

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
 Found the perfect thing for using net/usbhostfs in the XMB: http://www.2alien.info/2008/05/hostcore_11_release.html

I've given up on deciding how to make the NSLU2 portable with the PSP, besides I don't even have one and I'm sure theres something out there that would be better for the job and hopefully cheaper. Especially with all the people looking for a solution to this. Are there any USB OTG's out there that can host usbhostfs and send data DIRECTLY to the PSP usb port, not just stream it to the memory stick?

Anyone know anything about CF->USB host controller adapters? I found this: http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS7540317850.html which puts out exactly 500mAh, but unfortunately is expensive and USB1.1. I was thinking of trying the way of plugging alot of different adapters into eachother eventually leading to the memory stick slot. With the CF usb host adapter I was thinking:

iPod hdd -> ZIF to USB adapter -> CF USB HOST adapter-> CF (compactflash) to MS converter -> MS slot

of course CF to MS is nothing new, but the question is would it support 80gb (doesn't the datel thing only support 4gb?)

Another:

http://sewelldirect.com/usb-to-compactflash.asp
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 05:01:30 PM by mongol550 »

Offline unicorn

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
\mongol550 they is another card call the solarexpress but it only works in window mobile 2003 they is no linux drivers for it ether,

i found one for 56.00 on ebay a while ago and forgot i had it, this card go's for about 80-90 bucks

Offline ksx

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
This might work http://www.lawicel-shop.se/shop/default.aspx?tillsida=prod&productid=252940&lng=SWE . Its a tiny Linux Computer with USB, LAN Ports, and embedded Linux with  complete glibc C libraries.

Offline 00G

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Woohoo, 1/2 more and I'm a pint!!!
This might work http://www.lawicel-shop.se/shop/default.aspx?tillsida=prod&productid=252940&lng=SWE . Its a tiny Linux Computer with USB, LAN Ports, and embedded Linux with  complete glibc C libraries.

That is pretty good.  I've been looking for an embedded windows version, but this is by far the smallest and best possible solution for a mini HD set-up!!!  Thanks!

VoX

Your are not going to find an embedded Windows version, there is a version of USBHost for Linux. So that tiny motherboard is a good choice

Offline platinumc

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
seems a lot smaller... i would like to see this mod done someday :D....

gl to everyone who have tried hdd mod already, and to anyone, wholl try it in the future :P

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
Wow i kinda like that board i might check it out more in depth.

VoX

I've seen a few of those micro Linux embedded motherboards. If you looking for a price range, look around 139 euros

Offline hdx

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
This board is really small. Looking at the picture makes me think that it's possible to get it smaller. I think it might be possible to cut it a little, especially the place where holes are. What do you think, guys?

Offline waspy59

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
hello,

just an idea.... with this product: http://www.vinculum.com/prd_vdrive1.html and some modifications, isn't possible?

it's create an usb host controller, and if we convert the signal (TXD,RXD, ect..) to USB, it's may be possible to connect the psp to an HD?

HD-------------VDRIVE-----------PSP
        (USB)                     (USB)

ps: soory for my poor level in english

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
One way I have been thinking about is this.

Take a PIC processor that does USB host. The usb host stack software is completely done as well the drivers for mass storage devices, human interface devices, ( keyboards, mice, joysticks ).

irshell uses usbhostfs to talk to the devices on the pc and use the pc hard drive as local storage.

We have not been able to use the IPOD as mass storage because Ipod linux does not have the usb host stack built into it.

But we have the full source code for usbhostfs that is written in C

I have been looking at porting usbhostfs to work with the usb stack that is already written for the PIC.

So it is not as much work to combine the pic usb stack and usbhostfs together.

Then we could put the pic with a usb connector in the UMD drive bay and then run any standard run of the mill
usb hard drives attached to the PSP. As well as usb joysticks, keyboards, mice., etc.

Or if you want, a 1.8 inch hard drive as well as the interface should fit in the UMD drive space, just maybe a fraction of
an inch thicker is all.

also I have one of the compact flash usb hosts if you want one.

It only comes with drivers for Pocket PC, no docs, just as bad as writing drivers for the PSP. :faint:

Offline mongol550

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
hello,

just an idea.... with this product: http://www.vinculum.com/prd_vdrive1.html and some modifications, isn't possible?

it's create an usb host controller, and if we convert the signal (TXD,RXD, ect..) to USB, it's may be possible to connect the psp to an HD?

HD-------------VDRIVE-----------PSP
        (USB)                     (USB)

ps: soory for my poor level in english

This seems perfect...but how hard would it be to convert the signal from whatever the other connector is:

and does it work automatically or does it need to be programmed? I doubt it can run usbhostfs its not an embedded linux system like the NSLU2.

It says it needs 5v, I can't see any other important details...like the speed in mb/s but if its horribly slow, it might not even be worth it since this doesn't look very 'powerful' and that other interface looks like its not optimized for high speed like USB is, but instead for programming and development (stuff for experts) like Serial ports (your PC probably has 1) which are horribly slow for sending/receiving data (aren't they around dial-up speed for file transfers?) USB 2.0 goes at 450mb/s but USB 1.0 goes at 1.5mb/s...a huge difference.

I just hope it has atleast USB 1.0 speeds which are only 1/3 the speed of the memory stick.

-a place you can buy it without having to buy in quantities of 1500:
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2028472 ~$40
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:35:39 PM by mongol550 »

Offline mongol550

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0

This is for sure the perfect thing for it to work!

-Both ports are apparently USB (1 of them can be multiple interfaces?)
-USB 2.0 low speed mode means its fast enough for transfers/won't slow things down
-Works at 3.3v, it can for sure run off the PSP battery
-Its so small!
-Doesn't need programming just install the right firmware for the job (theres like 6)
I assume the firmware to install to work with the PSP would be VDFC Firmware: USB Host for two external drives

...but the thing is it doesn't run usbhostfs so theres not really a way that it and the PSP can 'talk' to each other, so its the same original problem all over again. Atleast now all the hardware is there for it to work, someone just needs to program a driver which shouldn't be hard...I think.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 08:15:58 PM by mongol550 »

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
well it looks like a better more efficient PIC compared to the one From you know who. i dont know if this or the linux chip would be better.

Offline mongol550

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
well it looks like a better more efficient PIC compared to the one From you know who. i dont know if this or the linux chip would be better.

Its hard to say...a linux chip is more powerful but also more expensive, bigger, and uses more battery while an embedded usb host controller is just for this exact purpose, connecting 2 USB slave devices without anything extra.

If only there was a driver for this...kind of like how theres a driver for the psp camera so they can both talk to each other. With linux it isn't a problem because it can just run usbhostfs just like a PC.

Is there a linux chip out there with only 2 usb ports?

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯

This is for sure the perfect thing for it to work!

-Both ports are apparently USB (1 of them can be multiple interfaces?)
-USB 2.0 low speed mode means its fast enough for transfers/won't slow things down
-Works at 3.3v, it can for sure run off the PSP battery
-Its so small!
-Doesn't need programming just install the right firmware for the job (theres like 6)
I assume the firmware to install to work with the PSP would be VDFC Firmware: USB Host for two external drives

...but the thing is it doesn't run usbhostfs so theres not really a way that it and the PSP can 'talk' to each other, so its the same original problem all over again. Atleast now all the hardware is there for it to work, someone just needs to program a driver which shouldn't be hard...I think.

Doesn't need programming, yes, but you still need a programmer to flash the IC with the correct firmware, and those programmers are 200 $

Also congrats, you are on the state of 3-4 month ago.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline pax

• CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Sig and Avatar by INDYCHASE
    • GAMING LAGOON - Join now for free prizes
ok just wondering, i've seen some mini usb to female usb cables that can act as a host to connect 2 slave devices together. could u not use any external usb hard drive and irshell to access it seeing as the cable acts as the host.

Guppy > Chief Squatting Hard > 1/2 Pint > Fart Sniffer > Tone Deff > Motor Mouth > Allumnist > King of the Wii-tards > Who Farted > Poker Champ > Chaos Lover > Bomb Maker > CyberPyrot Wannabe

Offline platinumc

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
Also congrats, you are on the state of 3-4 month ago.

pwnt :P

but yeah, the moment it seems to you, that oh a new thing, discovery, W/e, ur actually months back again :D

Offline waspy59

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
I found this: http://kvince83.tengun.net/maxboard/viewtopic.php?t=2402

It's with a TI calculator but the principle is there.... it's work with VDRIVE

what do you think about that?

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Dude, ask folklord, ive had an idea on how to do this for so long, it is kinda like yours but uses a much much smaller usb host controller. Ive been saving up money for about 3 months or something trying to buy a PIC programmer for a Pic, which i already have code for.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
I can program any chip for you what chip do you need programed ?

Offline aaronaja

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Sorry that I am new. I have been reading this and I was intrigued by it. But a possible solution to the actual mass storage problem might lie with the PDA CF to USB mass storage device. I am pretty sure there is a linux for pocket pc platforms too. So technically you would just stream all the info to the PSP wirelessly from a PDA with a mass storage CF adapter with linux and nethostfs for linux.

Someone has already done something similar with a wireless network enclosure.

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=50004

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal