Author Topic: UMD Switch Broken?? Here is how to fix it...  (Read 20702 times)

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
UMD Switch Broken?? Here is how to fix it...
« on: May 24, 2008, 02:59:27 PM »
Ok..There are two switches that have to activate the UMD drive in the slim..One just like in the Phat, and another one. Well, The switch is in the top corner closest to the battery.
My little black nub fell out and I don't know where it is. So I disassembled my psp, took out the mobo, and did some continuity testing on that switch.

Here is the switch without the silver top on it:

What I did next was took the switch off of the mobo and there were 3 points that the switch was soldered to. After I did some continuity testing, I soldered a wire to these two points to activate the umd drive.

It should look something like this after you are done:

You can actually solder the bottom contact the the contact right next to the one I soldered to. They are connected to each other...( The multimeter doesn't lie )

I put it back together, and It worked!
 :tup: :tup:

Nemesis: Pics embedded, next time use the button :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:42:44 PM by Nemesis »

Offline Roxas

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: UMD Switch Broken?? Here is how to fix it...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 04:41:57 AM »
Well i did this and it worked, the disc spins when i insert a UMD but it wont read it. Takes long time and then says the disc cannot be read. After looking at the drive i saw that the red laser light wont go on when the disc spin and thats why it wont read it. Please help!

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • PSP And PSP Slim Case/Hardware Modder
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 05:05:55 AM »
there is another switch on on the umd drive. it's on the right hand side of the umd drive. There should be a little white switch that activates the laser when a umd is pressed against it. i'll see if i can a picture. i'm at work at the mo, so i don't have anything with me.

Offline Roxas

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »
there is another switch on on the umd drive. it's on the right hand side of the umd drive. There should be a little white switch that activates the laser when a umd is pressed against it. i'll see if i can a picture. i'm at work at the mo, so i don't have anything with me.
Thanks for the reply, i dont see any little white switch. I would appreciate it if you would post a pic of it thanks!

Offline yngmike

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 11:05:54 AM »
It is actually black

w3rd

Offline Roxas

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 07:56:55 AM »

Is it this one?
P.S Sorry for the really crappy quality i took it with my mobile, i couldnt find my cam

Offline yngmike

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 08:50:10 AM »
Bingo

I would play with it and make sure it is getting pushed.... by the UMD.

did you open your PSP?

If so I would verify the wide ribbon cable that comes in from the right (on the front of the PSP MB) is inserted correctly also.

w3rd

Offline Roxas

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 09:13:53 AM »
Bingo

I would play with it and make sure it is getting pushed.... by the UMD.

did you open your PSP?

If so I would verify the wide ribbon cable that comes in from the right (on the front of the PSP MB) is inserted correctly also.

Well im pretty sure its getting pushed by the UMD, i even pushed it with my finger. Yes i did open my PSP. Hmmm... wide ribbon cable, ill check and see if that will help. Thanks for the reply

Offline yngmike

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:14:40 AM »

This is my PSP but I am re-using an image I made for someone else

-Mike
w3rd

Offline Roxas

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »
So i checked both the UMD power and the UMD data cables but my PSP still wont play UMDs  :sadno:  :cry2:. I am pretty sure they are inserted correctly. yngmike thank you for all that you have done for me so far. Ill just keep trying to find the problem

Offline yngmike

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 01:08:55 PM »
Do you have a clear case? if so does the red laser come on.... I would think if it came on it might be dirty... also I have  heard of junk getting stuck in the laser movement gear....

Try cleaning the laser lens with alcohol and a Q-Tip

otherwise  $20 for a new one

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11471

-Mike
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:11:25 PM by yngmike »
w3rd

Offline Roxas

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 04:18:28 AM »
No i dont have a clear case but the laser doesnt come on i think because if i press it with my finger it doesnt come on. After all i could just buy a new one.

Offline plantboy8o8

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »
Do you have a clear case? if so does the red laser come on.... I would think if it came on it might be dirty... also I have  heard of junk getting stuck in the laser movement gear....

Try cleaning the laser lens with alcohol and a Q-Tip

otherwise  $20 for a new one

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11471

-Mike

yea i have a clear case and have the same problem. the laser would come on, but about 30 sec. later, it would say the disc could not be read.  sometimes it dosent even pick up the UMD when the door is closed and a umd is inserted.  i might try using the alcohol method. what kind of alcohol do you use? just regular fingernail polish alcohol?

Offline Roxas

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 06:10:15 AM »
My laser doesnt come on at all and after about 1 min it says the disc cannot be read. And i cleaned the laser with alcohol and a Q-Tip but UMDs still wont work!!!  :angry: :angry: :angry:

Offline yngmike

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 09:13:44 AM »
yea i have a clear case and have the same problem. the laser would come on, but about 30 sec. later, it would say the disc could not be read.  sometimes it dosent even pick up the UMD when the door is closed and a umd is inserted.  i might try using the alcohol method. what kind of alcohol do you use? just regular fingernail polish alcohol?

Standard Isopropyl Alcohol should work fine.. Don't douse the Q-Tip.. it just needs to be lightly damp...  Give it a nice spin or two  but be gentle as your could damage it by applying too much pressure..

Again if the laser does not come on  you might not have the ATA cable in all the way..

Otherwise.. I'm going to say bad drive..

I've never bought from Dealextreme but I have more good things than bad so it's worth a shot and they are cheap...

Warning the UMD replacement process takes about 30-45 mins if your reasonably fast..
don't strip or lose your screws.. I suggest using a dish or bowl to store them.. I have used a magnet in the past, it does work but don't let the LCD or the speakers get close to the magnet as you could damage them.

-Mike
w3rd

Offline Roxas

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 05:54:05 AM »
I am now 100% sure that the ribbon cable is inserted correctly maybe if i try to solder that button thingie again he sayd something about another place to solder

Does he mean those two?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:56:34 AM by Roxas »

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 01:53:58 PM »
Yeah, but the other place to solder is already connected to the other one... the two contacts are connected for some reason. Check continuity. Thats how i came up with it  :tup:
So either one should work

Offline Roxas

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 07:53:07 AM »
I am starting to hate my PSP, i soldered to the other spot and you know what? My UMDs wont work hahaha im starting to become crazy

EDIT: I now have also found out that the gears are not moving, RoBot1ks did you even try to play a game or watch a movie? My UMDs were working from the beggining until that little button broke off.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 01:29:15 PM by Roxas »

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 11:51:20 PM »
This fix isn't working correctly for me. My friend broke his switch and I connected the 2 contact points. The UMD spins for 1 sec then stops spinning. How do I get this fixed??

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »
WOW you guys are having alot of trouble lol
I did that and it worked great for me. Thats why i posted it.

I truly don't see why it wont work..seriously

It's a switch. Switches usually let current go by under certain circumstances...so, with that in mind
I used continuity on my multi. The bottom contact and the two top contacts were not connected in any way. I checked the top two contacts and they are connected

So i figured you can just connect the bottom contact with either of the top contacts.

There can be a few things you can do:

Since it isnt working, if anybody has a switch check it out and see how it works.
Then inform us ( I no longer possess my switch )

Or you can try to connect the bottom contact with both top contacts.

In my first picture there are 3 more contacts to the immediate right of those 3 contacts. Can anyone tell me if they are used by the switch? It has been too long

Sorry for all the trouble guys

Good Luck  :hifive:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 03:41:25 PM by RoBot1ks »

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I love My Lacoste shirts
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 03:51:08 PM »
Same thing happend to me, i jamed the motor cuz my leds where putting to much pressure on the umd which jammed the motor after holding down both switches with tape i started playing spinning it , moving it , at the end it work. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

try droping it again
my retared friend fixed by droping it
 1Sniper- not to be an :censored: but, its special friend

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 03:55:23 PM »
lol you got lucky. But did your switch mess up? like..this switch of which this topic is about

Offline Roxas

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 07:10:53 AM »
This fix isn't working correctly for me. My friend broke his switch and I connected the 2 contact points. The UMD spins for 1 sec then stops spinning. How do I get this fixed??

Does the red laser go on when it spins for 1 second because mine spins about 2 mins but the red laser wont go on it will only spin.

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 06:01:12 PM »
Nope robo but im missing one on my fat one im try doing some continuity test to try and fix it if not replace it anyways, no it wasent my switch it was my motor that jammed i thought it broke but i stared messing with it until it worked again anywas this was caused since i used some big 1206 smd leds that the sell at a electronique shop close to my house but i wont have that probleme anymoresince i ordered hundreds of 0603 leds now cant wait to get them since im planig on adding, about 30 leds

try droping it again

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 06:48:47 PM »
Nope robo but im missing one on my fat one im try doing some continuity test to try and fix it if not replace it anyways, no it wasent my switch it was my motor that jammed i thought it broke but i stared messing with it until it worked again anywas this was caused since i used some big 1206 smd leds that the sell at a electronique shop close to my house but i wont have that probleme anymoresince i ordered hundreds of 0603 leds now cant wait to get them since im planig on adding, about 30 leds
well at least it wasnt your switch.

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 07:25:10 PM »
Yup i got lucky =P, where did you get those smexy buttons, or there the original oem ones

try droping it again

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal