Author Topic: NES D-pad in a 360 controller  (Read 4612 times)

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
NES D-pad in a 360 controller
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:44:38 AM »
Yep, I did it again. This time with the D-pad from a poor old NES controller that has seen much better days, dunno what chewed the cord up on the thing, but it must have been right tasty.

That screw up there on the side of the D-pad is from shaving out part of the inside of the D-pad area for the wiring to have room. It wouldn't be there if I'd have been paying just a tad bit more attention. It really makes me want to scrap the whole shell and do another one, which I'm sure sooner or later I most likely will do because I am apparently that OC about some things, honestly I plan to never use the thing anyway, just did it to do it and see how it could be done. ;)

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline TaSlAyEr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • i has a shovel lolz
Re: NES D-pad in a 360 controller
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 12:48:54 PM »
that cool i like it cuz i hate the d-pad on the 360  lol i will mod my controler as soon as i find a tool to open it lol

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
You can use a flat head small screw driver to get your controller open thats what i did

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »
that cool i like it cuz i hate the d-pad on the 360  lol i will mod my controler as soon as i find a tool to open it lol
Make sure ya have either the CG version of Wireless controller board or CL version of Wired controller board before ya go hacking anything up though. With the older Matrix version boards you can't do this on them easily because of how they're setup internally. The CG and CL boards can be wired up to the NES D-pad easily, since they both share a common 5 wire setup, ground on the CG and voltage on the CL. The Matrix versions of the controller boards by comparison use 7 wires for the D-pad. It would be possible to cut the traces on the NED pad and rewire it to conform to the Matrix setup, just more work is all, but it can be wired right up to the CG or CL version boards much easier.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline redryno1221

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Redrynotuts
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 01:16:40 PM »
Ever since f00f00's remixed controller many dpad and joystick mods have been showing up. Nice Job.

Offline TaSlAyEr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • i has a shovel lolz
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »
Make sure ya have either the CG version of Wireless controller board or CL version of Wired controller board before ya go hacking anything up though. With the older Matrix version boards you can't do this on them easily because of how they're setup internally. The CG and CL boards can be wired up to the NES D-pad easily, since they both share a common 5 wire setup, ground on the CG and voltage on the CL. The Matrix versions of the controller boards by comparison use 7 wires for the D-pad. It would be possible to cut the traces on the NED pad and rewire it to conform to the Matrix setup, just more work is all, but it can be wired right up to the CG or CL version boards much easier.
lol by mod i was going to put rapid fire in it and leds yay for christmas tree controlers lol :rofl:
i mite try this

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:51:05 PM »
wow, thats sick, that is pure awesomeness
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline TaSlAyEr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • i has a shovel lolz
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »
You can use a flat head small screw driver to get your controller open thats what i did
ya i dont have a flat that small got to find the right screw driver

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 04:38:20 AM »
ya i dont have a flat that small got to find the right screw driver
It's a T8H. You'll need to get the T8H driver to reach all of the screws, that or modify a T8H bit to reach them. You can pick the driver or bit up at most local hardware stores in a set.

You can also use an Awl, Scribe or small screwdriver to snap the pins out of the screws and then use a regular T8 driver, it doesn't take much to break them off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal