Author Topic: need help and advice in trying to repair DS  (Read 1862 times)

Offline cokecan

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
need help and advice in trying to repair DS
« on: September 19, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »
My ds took at really hard impact. Like both screens are broken in a million pieces and the case is mutilated beyond recognition, hard impact.

So here is my question. In attempts to repair my DS i bought a new case (clear blue) a top and a bottom screen to replace it. I manage to get it to start up and lo and behold my DS screen only shows white with lines across or black with lines across. there is a small chip that seems to have gotten damaged (ok so it fell off the board completely. I read on the nintendo repair website that it might be my graphics chip is damaged. i am wondering if its worth trying to find the chip that fell off (pictures coming) or to get a mobo or what. Please advice.

The chip that fell out is the one below the power jack labeled 01

Offline cokecan

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: need help and advice in trying to repair DS
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 02:10:17 PM »
No luck? Do i need to provide more information?

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »
if you manage to find a new mobo it would cost (almost) the same as buying a new ds lite.  It would probably be better just to go out and buy a new (or used) one.  A new mobo would cost you about $60 and even if you bought it there still is no guarantee that it will work again (ie: ds lites are a pain to put back together). If I were you I would save up the extra $30 and buy a used one off of ebay or craigslist.org.  but that's just me.

Offline cokecan

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 05:37:53 PM »
hehe thanks. i was just trying to see if i can salvage this one. I already got a new one (my harvest moon was lonely). Got myself a silver one. Just kinda sad cause this DS was my best companion on long flights for 2 years.

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 05:48:28 PM »
if you do order a motherboard you will have the components to it back together and work.  It's just everytime I've tried with a dsl I always have a new problem come up (triggers not working, striped screws, etc). 

Offline cokecan

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 07:44:29 PM »
Ah ic. I might end up spending all that money only to have it not work in me. Thanks for the advice. i will probably just keep the old one as parts in case anything comes up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal