Author Topic: Soldering Tricks?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Thorax

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
Soldering Tricks?
« on: September 23, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »
I still haven't done any mods yet and I wanted to do the trigger mod, so a couple of months ago I cracked open my PSP, got the stripped screw out (:tup:) and got the powerboard out. Then I noticed how small the points actually are. I'm not a good solderer, I'm too impatinet and my hands shake too much when I try to do small things like that. So I called my friend over and ask him if he could do it (He's a much better solderer than I am). He looked and said that he didn't really want to try because he was scared he would mess up my PSP. So now I'm stuck with all the parts and I really want to finish this mod so I can claim I did a hard mod. So I was wondering if there were any tips or another place to solder to with a bigger area with more room for error?

Offline socomhacker239

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Soldering Tricks?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 02:40:55 PM »
well if you have a shaky hand you can drink a couple of beers or smoke it makes me more stable  :drunk:
you can solder to the speakers its easy if you mess up all you need is new speakers there a dime a dozen
start practicing on old motherboards or chips if you dont use flux then start it makes it way easyer if you
dont use 30 gauge wire then you should also start using it.If your not that good then you should use a 15 watt iron i used a 25 watt when i first started though.well hope i helped :dntknw:

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 03:27:10 PM »
yea flux is a must. it helps so much..i just couldnt imagine not using it. just dip the wire in some flux, put some solder on the iron and rub it on the wire till it sticks  :tup:

where can you get speakers 10 cents for a dozen?

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:08:12 PM »
This rubbing technique, is for tinning the wire right?
Because if not that is awfully wrong.

Ya you shouldn't really have solder on the iron unless tining something.

Make sure to use a sponge to wipe your tip clean and clean it ALOT.

Also on the Powerboard you can scrap off the protective green for a bigger and easier area to solder to  :winker:

Oh, if you dont already, Get something like Helping Hands, They also are a great help  :winker:

Offline Thorax

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 02:27:54 PM »
Ok, thanks everyone. :tup:

Offline m@DDm!k3

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • destined for the worst luck in modding
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:43:29 PM »
oh yeah and if ur a little scared of getting burned i recommend you use the ColdHeat soldering iron not as good as regular soldering irons but safer

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 12:52:46 AM »
I found it best to only scape off a little of the green insulant to prevent any bridging. A trick I found to make the whole job easyer was to solder a surface mount 10ohm resistor straight to the powerboard, this just helps out with not having extra lead componets to heat shrink ect.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 12:50:12 PM »
oh yeah and if ur a little scared of getting burned i recommend you use the ColdHeat soldering iron not as good as regular soldering irons but safer

ColdHeat irons are horrible :)

Not trying to Insult you dude, Just saying.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 03:32:17 PM »
The soldering iron I use I got at a swap meet for a dollar I think. It works great. Its a 30 watt I think. I accidentally screwed it up though when I sat it across the cord... Lotsa sparks. Luckilly nobody got hurt.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline PSPpanda

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Modding is an ADDICTION
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »
I found it best to only scape off a little of the green insulant to prevent any bridging. A trick I found to make the whole job easyer was to solder a surface mount 10ohm resistor straight to the powerboard, this just helps out with not having extra lead componets to heat shrink ect.
Ok well these tips are great but i keep getting different answers from different people. If i am doing the trigger mod do i need a resistor if i am using blue LEDs? :dntknw:

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 01:37:09 AM »
Sorry to give you another different answer, but for blue LEDs, you don't need a resistor. For all other colors though, you are going to need one. Most people use a 10 ohm. Surface mount ones will fit better inside the psp.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 05:16:56 AM »
Well dont bother giving a different answer which is technically wrong,

Alien is right AGAIN. Im gonna see how many times he is right :)

Technically you do need a resistor. If you look it up with the forward voltage ect. most of the time it should have one on it.

But you REALLY don't need to cause it doesn't burn out that quick. But it does have a shortened life-time with out the correct resistance.

And probably don't just say throw on a 10 ohm. Use Resistor Calc and find out the right resistance for the leds.

I used to say the sameee thing.  :victory:

Offline PSPpanda

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Modding is an ADDICTION
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 08:00:05 AM »
ok thanks Alien this helped me alot but if i do the direct contact speaker LEDs what ohm resistor will i need? :dntknw:

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 05:20:41 PM »
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:03:17 PM by SN!P3R »
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal