Author Topic: Attaching additional fans to heat syncs dilema...  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Attaching additional fans to heat syncs dilema...
« on: February 13, 2009, 02:17:08 AM »
Hey guys,

I was told to use zip ties aka cable ties to attach fans to the heat syncs, but won't the heat syncs melt straight through them ?

Thank you
Max

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
Re: Attaching additional fans to heat syncs dilema...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:11:31 AM »
I seriously doubt the heat sinks will get hot enough to melt those.(espeacially with fans on them) Could always use wire like a twist tie if you were really that concerned. The heatsinks shouldnt be so hot you can touch them, and that is what you would need to melt those zip ties

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 04:35:39 PM »
I don't think it will get hot enough to melt the zip ties...

Offline PsychoticWolf

• C.H.A.O.S Where art Thou.
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:47:56 PM »
If your Heatsink Gets Hot enough to Melt the Zip Ties. Your Looking at a Huge Meltdown...

For the awesome Sigs Thanks goes to: Blazinkaos, Chef Boyardee
O o
/¯/________________________/
{ IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZAAAAAR!!!!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\
RyanF: lol im not that sick.  I don't feel like licking the s*** off a 40 year old guy's ass
RyanF: you want me to lick your crusty old buns dont you?
2/20/2012 at 08:55:34 PM

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 05:12:26 PM »
  I wouldn't suggest attaching or strapping anything to the heat sinks. If you're using a 70mm x15mm cpu cooling fan, you can easily screw it to the metal casing or the plastic exterior casing.

Offline PsychoticWolf

• C.H.A.O.S Where art Thou.
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 05:26:59 PM »
  I wouldn't suggest attaching or strapping anything to the heat sinks. If you're using a 70mm x15mm cpu cooling fan, you can easily screw it to the metal casing or the plastic exterior casing.

And why not? Putting Fans On Heat sinks is common if they are Good Fans it should Be alright.

For the awesome Sigs Thanks goes to: Blazinkaos, Chef Boyardee
O o
/¯/________________________/
{ IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZAAAAAR!!!!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\
RyanF: lol im not that sick.  I don't feel like licking the s*** off a 40 year old guy's ass
RyanF: you want me to lick your crusty old buns dont you?
2/20/2012 at 08:55:34 PM

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:01:46 AM »
Thank you guys for the replies, I found out it just stays there by itself because of the two bolts for the x clamp. This is the fan I'm using its a old CPU fan:

I think I need a better one lol

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »
    What I'm trying to say is that unless the heat sink is desinged to have a cpu fan strapped or screw into the heat sink, I would not recommended it. Altering the function or proper use of the xbox 360 heat sinks will most like result in permanent damage to the unit. Adjusting a cooling fan from a distance is quite okay. Based on the picture above, I guess is okay. Its just sitting there with out force or strapped to it.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 06:48:46 AM »
    What I'm trying to say is that unless the heat sink is desinged to have a cpu fan strapped or screw into the heat sink, I would not recommended it. Altering the function or proper use of the xbox 360 heat sinks will most like result in permanent damage to the unit. Adjusting a cooling fan from a distance is quite okay. Based on the picture above, I guess is okay. Its just sitting there with out force or strapped to it.

There is absoulutely no reason why you cant attach a fan to your heatsinks(or if there is you still havnt explained it).  As long as you dont replace the heatsink with a fan, then there is no problem.  Excessive modification of the heat sink may not be recommended, however if you maintain the same thermal mass and surface area and material you wont have any problems.

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
   Basically, any type of heat sink is quite delicate and sentative, specially when under alot of heat related stress. Xbox 360 consoles are famous for the heat sinks to be a major contributor to the know problems that exist, hardware failure. With this in mind, the worst thing that any body can do is to put more stress on the heat sink by applying the slightest pressure. It has also being known of the motherboard to warp under intense heat from the heat sinks which causes the cpu ship to overheat and break contact. Again, unless the heat sink is designed to have a built in cpu fan, which can be a bit less sentative, I would not have anything strapped or put any pressure on the heat sinks. Even the slightest vibration from any attached fan can cause the chips to break contact.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 09:42:19 AM »
thats the type of explanation I was looking for..... adding vibration to your heatsink may have adverse effects on the thermal transfer from the chip set to the heatsink. 

Never much thought of that, and I dont completely buy it, but it is a valid concern.  At best I think it may reduce the life of the thermal paste, but if there is really an issue with vibration, then using a flexible mount like rubber may be reccomended. (IMHO it really wont be an issue, but we all know what orphis opinions are similar too:)

To each his own tho. On a final note, if you tell someone not to do something without any evidence or explanation as to why it is bad, then you will recieve some form of flack from the AM community.("because it wasnt designed for it" is an upper management type answer and we dont settle for that here :winker:)

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 11:12:41 PM »
   Well, I guess we are both in the same page, I think but about your last sentence, there was no reason to tell me such thing. No wrong was done on my part however, I have never told any one not to do something. It was a suggestion that I mentioned as a form of common sense or advise to the problem. Normally, I don't have a problem explaining things out but I guess that exercising a bit of common sense is difficult around here. I'll watch myself the next time around but every body is entitle to their own opinions and explanations and it should be respected. Sorry for sounding a bit punchy but the last sentence rub me in an uncomfortable way.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:57:49 PM by crazyl69 »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 04:37:03 AM »
actually, his last sentence was quite professional, and straight to the point, if that offended you, you should look for a lighter forum

it is common since as you stated that most people here are not going to take simple minded answers for the complicated problems they are trying to fix. when you ADVISE someone not to do something, that someone else has told them to do, without a proper explanation you better expect some feed back, if you did not expect it, the common since is lacking on your part not ours.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:44:20 AM by modded matt »

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 06:32:39 AM »
 :laughing: in all honesty it was intended to rub you the wrong way. When you work in an engineering field you will come across explainations like your second post, professionally vague, and that is what rubs me the wrong way.  It almost comes accross as talking down to someone or thinking that people will not understand what you are trying to say. I guess I alienated you a bit and for that I am sorry, but believe me when I tell you it was intended to prove a point that will be beneficial to you not only on the forum but in life.  My little upper management jab is nothing compared to the ridicule those type of responses usually invoke.

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 10:20:54 AM »
Hey guys,

Sorry I've been away. Anyway the fan is working fine and I don't have to worry about vibrations since the fan isn't even touching the heat sync. Thanks for all the advice.

Max

Offline Blacknight94

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 01:09:37 AM »
Hey guys,

Sorry I've been away. Anyway the fan is working fine and I don't have to worry about vibrations since the fan isn't even touching the heat sync. Thanks for all the advice.

Max

Wow im glad i looked at this thread, I was going to put a fan above the extended GPU heatsink (and still am) but now you just showed me another PERFECT spot for another fan! Woohoo! May I ask what size is that fans width? I measured the distance between the two heatsinks, and it seems you could just squeeze a 15mm fan (width) in there.

Offline Blacknight94

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 01:49:52 AM »
Did some more measuring.. I think your fan is a 50mm x 50mm x 15mm. I just bought that size fan, and a 70mm x 70 mm x 50 mm... gonna do some cooling mods :)

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 05:09:45 AM »
Sweet, hope to see some pics soon. Yeah the 70mm is better. The one I have does its job. But ...yeah I dunno could be better...I'll probs get a 70mm one later on and swap it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal