Author Topic: Are direct contact LEDs possible on a PSP Slim?  (Read 3583 times)

Offline jak33

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Are direct contact LEDs possible on a PSP Slim?
« on: February 17, 2009, 02:11:20 PM »
Just wondering, I'm not a great solderer, but i want to do this myself, and it seems like it is a much easier operation. Is it possible to do, and if so can someone post a link to a tutorial, or if you have done it, give me a mini tutorial... like just a few steps on where to solder the wires to on the speaker, i can assemble and disassemble it my self

thanks

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: Are direct contact LEDs possible on a PSP Slim?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 02:50:36 PM »
1. Disassemble your psp all the way down till you can see the left speaker contacts

Connect your leds here. Blue is positive, white is negative.

3. Wire your leds all in parallel. (I hope you know what that means)

4. Drill holes and into your triggers, put the leds in, and seal it in with hot glue.

5. Done!

Note: If you don't know how to drill your triggers, just drill them with a small bit, not too far into the trigger like this. Drill bit could vary but I think I used a 3/16. Some used 1/8, etc.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline jak33

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:07:54 PM »
thanks man, is there a way to use a switch with this? my guess is no, but its worth asking. also, imm assuming that the two gold squares that the wires are connected to are the left speaker contacts right?

sorry for the dumb questions, but i just want to double check everything before i begin the actual process.

oh and one more thing, i was tryin to do this the longer way (with the LM386) with the tutorial, but i couldn't open the sound mod link... is there another way i can access it? and do you think i would be able to do that way, my skill level is pretty low, but I have a steady hand and can follow instructions...

one more thing... my LEDs are a bit big... anything i can do about that? besides drilling a bigger hole, because i tried drilling it a bit, and it looks ugly. i like the aesthetic appearance.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:34:32 PM by jak33 »

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »
Nope, you can't use switch for direct connect. Well you can but you can't use wifi or hold switches.

Yeah the gold squares are the left speaker contacts

For the lm386 tut, yeah you probably could do it. I mean, if you can follow instructions and all, steady hands, have common sense, etc. I mean, I'm 13 and I managed to do it (although my first was a little sloppy) No clue why you couldn't access sound mod link but here: https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=10815.0

As for drilling, what do you mean ugly? Like when you drill huge holes? You can't really do anything about big leds except buy smaller ones. 0603 surface mount ones are recommended. Get them here: phenoptix.co.uk Yes it's based in UK, but the leds are really cheap and shipping is cheap.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 08:18:59 PM by bustinthejustin »

Offline jak33

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »
thanks again, but the thing i couldn't access was the PSP Sound Mod by Jrf, or something like that. it was the instructions to build that little module with the lm386 and the resistors. thanks for the link for the parts, i decided to stop and wait til i get the right supplies before i butcher it up.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »
Good plan ;) You probably know, but most parts can be bought from radioshack, but leds must be bought online. Oh for jrf's tut, it's here: https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=13477.0

It used to be in the wiki, but it's been down for a while, and all tuts were moved to the tutorial section. Some had broken pictures though and were moved to "unfinished tuts" If you ever get linked to another tut that leads to the wiki, go through the tut section and it should be there.

Offline jak33

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 06:55:46 PM »
once again, thank you :D i thought i looked there, but i guess i missed it... but yeah i got all the other stuff from radio shack, and picked up some smallish looking LEDs since i was there, and they were only $1.79, but yeah im ordering  a whole buncha green SMTs online, wanna do a green led on silver psp combo, probably eventually put more in other places too once i get the hang of it.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:25:26 PM »
Sweet :D Good luck!

Offline slowman

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 09:44:52 AM »
Sorry to bump this thread but it is most applicable to my situation. 

I did the direct connect on a customer's Slim a few weeks back  He had an LED die on him recently, and he had it on full volume when it happened.  The LED in question was a 380mcd white 3.6v 0603 SMD purchased from www.unique-leds.com.  I haven't received the Slim back from him yet so I'm not *quite* sure that it burned out.  The connection might've been bad on the anode of cathode side of the LED, but considering he had it on full volume it likely burned out.  I'll test it out more thoroughly when I get it from him.

I'll be replacing the LED at no cost to him of course, but can I add a small resistor onto the + wire and tuck it up above the mobo or something?  I just want to make sure he doesn't hit another high volume peak and burn out another one.  What sort of resistor am I looking for?

Thanks!

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 01:06:58 PM »
yea u can add a resistor if ur sure the led burned out.

a 10 ohm resistor will probably be sufficient...

Offline mic9

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:46 PM »
YES, you can put swith for your mod.. so you can turn it off if you dont need it..

this is a diagram for a direct reactive leds without sound chip (LM386).

just buy a switch, like the WIFI switch... and you can put it here for easy access...
like this one on the pics..

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Trusted Seller! Slim Modder! Graphics Artist!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »
YES, you can put swith for your mod.. so you can turn it off if you dont need it..

this is a diagram for a direct reactive leds without sound chip (LM386).

just buy a switch, like the WIFI switch... and you can put it here for easy access...
like this one on the pics..

I don't see a switch in that pic..

Also you don't need to wire to both speakers only 1.

Offline mic9

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 05:33:05 PM »
the switch is below the MEMORY CARD cover.. the Blue thing,

i use this diagram so the leds will not share power for one speaker.. so each leds will get independent supply of power from each speaker.. idk
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 05:34:42 PM by mic9 »

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »
it wont affect it much if wired in parallel.

Offline mic9

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 05:41:23 PM »
it wont affect it much if wired in parallel.

ow... so it will not affact much.. T_T
that diagram i use fry my sound fuse.. to bad for me..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal