Author Topic: Solder over Solder?  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Vercix

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Solder over Solder?
« on: May 25, 2009, 12:02:57 AM »
I've watched about every video under the sun, and know how to solder correctly, but am a tad confused as whether or not you can heat up old solder to connect another wire...

More specifically:
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=22685.0

This tut shows where to solder the positive and negative ends, but I was wondering if I should just try and reheat the connection, or pile on more solder for the wires.

Also, he states (later in the topic) that he's hooked up 10 LEDs to one speaker, and while I don't plan on doing that, I was wondering if I just had to keep soldering wires into the positive and negative ends, or if I had to take extra steps/precautions to make sure they don't touch. (I don't think it would matter since it's all coming from the same place, doing the same thing)

LASTLY, is it dangerous, stupid, etc, to just solder wires leading to nothing? I was thinking that while I had everything open, I could solder a few extra wires in there for future LEDs

Thanks for any input...I'm eager to get this done, but don't want to screw everything up

Offline injungleist

• Club AM VIP
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • mod your face off.
Re: Solder over Solder?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:01:44 AM »
i was kinda skeptical about soldiering on to the speakers and i found it not to be to hard. i did what you would do to the leds. i put some solider in the iron then touched the points on the speaker, to leave some on it. then tin the wires. then when you put the two together it leaves solider on solider as you put it. i tried the other way, but if you try to reheat it you have the chance to unsolder then you have two wires to solider to the same point.
also i have 6 to one speaker and it works fine. and NO you dont need 10 wires coning from the speaker just one set.
===O===O===O===O===O== O being the led. and = being your pos and neg.
thx gamerdude767
trades w/ blazinkaos
purchases from sniper (fast shipping)

Offline Vercix

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:09:19 AM »
Alright cool, I'll just solder like normal.

I'm a little confused by your diagram though, thanks for trying haha, I'd probably had did the same thing if I knew what I was talking about. So you just have one set of wires coming from the speakers, and then instead of soldering another set on the speakers for a 2nd or 3rd led, you would  just solder from first led?

Offline injungleist

• Club AM VIP
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • mod your face off.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 12:54:48 PM »
this might help. the battery being the speaker and the light being the led.
[img alt=]http://hotlink.myspacecdn.com/images02/109/0dc8340bb92d44bbb350cdaf9d0eb75f/m.gif[/img]
i hope this helps.
thx gamerdude767
trades w/ blazinkaos
purchases from sniper (fast shipping)

Offline Vercix

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »
Gottcha, I thought that's what you had meant, but just wasn't sure seeing as the LEDs are incredibly tiny.

Last question, if I were to solder a long strand of wire past the positive and negative ends, and attach a light in the middle, and at the end would it still work. I'm testing it out, and everything is lighting up...I'm thinking that it would be easier to do that, as opposed to connecting another set of wires on 0603 LEDs.

Example

I-----+I-------I
{}       O      O             Os being the light.   {} being Speaker
I----(-)I------I

Yes it's about the same as the other diagram, but instead of soldering one set of wires to an LED, and then another set to a different LED from the first LED, you would just solder the first LED onto 2 wires (in the middle and bend it into the bumper [glue it]) and then bend the same set of wires to say the directional pad and glue another LED to that. 

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:04:51 PM by Vercix »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal