Author Topic: Really custom controller (Khaos FPS). *help needed* **Status: 0.4**  (Read 7132 times)

Offline Khaos

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • You can call me Khaos, Wolfie, or Joel.
*******************UPTATE*********************
I have two momentary push buttons to replace the LB&RB.
I will be using a wired CL controller so I will need to know how to wire it
And I will try to get some pics of the current look of it.

My evil scheme is to convert a FPS master controller for the orig. xbox into a xbox 360 controller. I have no idea how to do this and I was wondering if anyone would like to help me. The plan is to gut the FPS and replace it with 360 controller parts. But leave the triggers and abxy buttons, add rb and lb bottons, use the un-used  white and black botttons for turbo mods, and add the xbox live botton and throw in some sweet LEDs.
I realize that this will take a lot of work, time, and money. That I can do if I have help.

I have taken pics of the inside of the FPS controller, I will need to know what I can remove and what controller would be best to use (suggestions?) I want to use a official xbox 360 corded controller.

And now the pics, the grid that you see behind it consists of 1 in. squares.
BE WARNED!!! THEY ARE MONDO HUGE, AND MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK!
I can get more if you request them, esp. of certain areas. Also that is about as far as I got, I afraid to take it apart further.

The controller

Opened up

Inside

Inside top

Useless screen and buttton panel.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:52:37 PM by Khaos »

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
Re: Controller transplant. *help needed*
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 10:04:05 AM »
first things first your signature = WIN! lol lovin it.

Ok so this mod can probably be accomplished in several ways. How I would try to do this is to use a wireless 360 controller that is a CG, and then just use a USB cable to power it, let the wireless do the controller input and usb be the power to replace the batteries.  If you can find a wired controller it will work too, just make sure it is the newest version available that is refered to as CL or Common Line as using a martix style controller will most certainly mean failure as it is a convoluted design.

I would try to hijack all of the existing hardware that i could form the controller and hack it into the 360 controller... IE: analog sticks directional pad and buttons should use the original FPS board but the traces will be cut and jumped into the 360 board. in the proper locations.  Basically that means you need to remove any excess circuit board like the computer and display in order to free up enough room for the 360 controller board (that may need to be trimmed up as well).  Hopefully it will all fit.

hit me up on MSN for more in depth guidance.

Offline Khaos

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »
Thanks Chives, right now if you could get me a list of tools and parts I will need you would help alot.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
ok, so if you cant solder probably this isnt the best mod to start with, but a soldering iron is needed.  What you are looking at is modifying printed circuit boards and that entails being able to identify traces and cutting them using an exacto knife.  there is a thing called soldermask and that is what makes the boards look green and protects the bare copper circuits on the board like nail polish on a nail.  in this mod you will often need to scrape the solder mask off to expose the copper and then be able to solder to it.  I use and exacto knife for that as well but there is a tool called a fiberglass pen or brush that can be used to remove the solder mask and expose the copper.  Last thing you will need is very fine wire as there will be a lot of jumping of wires, so i would use like a 30awg wire in various colors.

Other then that you will need the controllers obviously and a lot of patience.

on ur FPS controller you will be basically reducing it so that the parts are just parts like just a membrane button or just the analog stick on the board and then you will jump those parts into the 360 board just like replacing the old parts with new ones from fixed locations.  Nothing saying this will all fit together, but thats part of the fun :winker:

Offline Khaos

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »
So I have it more apart now. I'm just gonna use a wireless controller (prolly the one that comes with a rechargeable battery).

Anyway.
What can I cut and where at? (or should I?)
The insides taken out!:

Also: I plan on not having the rumble feature, instead I will be placing the LB/RB in its place. And maybe instead leds light up.

LB/RB to go on red dot( one on each side)

Offline Khaos

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Controller transplant. *help needed* **update**
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:37:34 PM »
I have another controller, its the one that came with my xbox elite. its about two years old. can I use that one. also I plan to use the battery pack bit still, so I am going to do some major body modding.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
Re: Really costom controller. *help needed* **update**
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:02:51 AM »
remember the controller you use pretty much has to be a CG for this mod. Here is how you can tell:
Identifying CG or Matrix

Offline scott

• U.S. Army
  • Registered BST
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »
I have (or had) one of those controllers for Halo2.
Its a beast and amazing.

Figure out which controller you are using (360 wise) pin out the original box controller, and simply connect its buttons to the button spots on the 360 controllers mobo

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=581799
Credit to RDC for pictures

WIRED MATRIX DIAGRAM

WIRED MATRIX TOP

WIRED MATRIX BOTTOM

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=581887
Credit to RDC for pictures

WIRELESS MATRIX DIAGRAM

WIRELESS MATRIX TOP

WIRELESS MATRIX BOTTOM

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:52:37 PM by 802Chives »

Offline Khaos

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 01:10:39 PM »
I have a matrix controller to use but the Mic reciever is messed up, when you plug a mic in it gets static-y and if you barely move the cord it gets static-y. How do I fix this?

Also It won't fit as is If you could show me where I could trim it that would help otherwise i will just have to mod the body. I was planning on doing that anyway though.

Offline OxEpicOwnagexO

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 05:47:48 PM »
i wouldnt tackle that mod with a 10-foot pole, props to you, if you do it you da man!

Offline milko002

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • One day is yours . The rest of the week is mine
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
HOLY SMOKES!!!! :whoosh: I can do online banking with that controller. Its going to take 1.21 gigawatts to power that nucler reactor up. Does the goverment know what your up to? You must have $500.00 of copper wire invested in this project. But you know what I like it!! If you get it to work I'll buy it need to get back to the future!!! :tup:
You Kug-FU Strong but mine Kug-FU stronger

Offline Khaos

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Really custom controller. *help needed* **Status: 0.4**
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 07:58:31 PM »
*******************UPTATE*********************
I have two momentary push buttons to replace the LB&RB.
I will be using a wired CL controller so I will need to know how to wire it
And I will try to get some pics of the current look of it.

Also im calling it the Khaos FPS.

What gauge of wire should I use and how many different colors?

And Im gonna need the wireing map for the Wired CL controller.

And I need to know how to hook LEDs up to the rumble to where they flash when it rumbles.

The new LB&RB Buttons
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:53:13 PM by Khaos »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal