Author Topic: FPS controller project worklog  (Read 2804 times)

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
FPS controller project worklog
« on: July 11, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »
OK, I showed this controller in a video a while back in the official controller topic and all I had done at the time was a simple ROL mod. Since then I've done a bit more work on it and figured I'd start up a little worklog to keep updated and show where I'm at with it. I decided to do a controller geared toward FPS games, both in function and theme/style, since I've been getting into them a bit more recently. I'm still working on a paint scheme, so it's stock white and grey for now. Hopefully I can come up with something soon, I really want to take advantage of the pro paint shop currently at my disposal. Either that or I'll come up with something cool and do it at home... :)
Anyway, here it is...

I haven't changed the ROL mod, so that's still there...

You can see the 12 Gauge D-Pad mod, and there is a tut for it in the tut section if you want to do one yourself.

There is also a look at another mod I'm doing right now, the 9mm ABXY buttons. I know this has been done before just like the D-pad. Just like the D-Pad though, I use a different method than others I have seen that make you cut up your original buttons and what not.

t0pfire installed... RF switches on the back, soon to also be custom shelled :) You can see that I recessed the holes for the buttons to give it a bit of a nicer feel, as well as the white and yellow wiring for the left trigger of the RF install.

Wire twisting keeps everything neat, clean, stays low profile, and looks cool, too (at least I think so)... Sometimes it can be a bit of a pain to do, like the red and blue twisted section below... but the look can pay off in the end.

Wiring and placement of RF switches, keep it clean, keep it clean!

t0pfire PIC placement and wiring, permanent installation, no socket. I don't want to have to open the controller up in order to update the RF code, so I've chosen a different route.

Here you can also see a miniUSB connection for another project I've been working on... The miniUSB needed to be shrink-wrapped to keep it stable and keep the wires from breaking the solder connections. The controller trim also needed to be modified to allow the port to sit at the proper angle and not interfere with anything (like the headphone/keyboard port) as well as provide support and stability for the port and wiring (and also someplace to apply glue once the port becomes permanent ;) )...

MiniUSB port placement. In this pic you can also see another cut out in the controller trim panel. In the near future i'm planning on adding a miniUSB port for in circuit programming of the RF PIC, so that I don't have to open the controller and desolder the PIC when I want to update the RF code.

All gaps in the miniUSB ports will be filled with bondo or some other kind of filler once they have been glued in place and I'm prepping for paint...

Right now, for paint I'm thinking OD Green with yellow, black, and white military stenciling. If I went with that scheme I'd also like to add some kind of custom painted pin-up girl in a WW2 nose-cone style somewhere, maybe on the back of the battery pack... IDK, it's still a work in progress and I'm still looking for an artist for that pin-up bit. I've also been considering doing a camo pattern of some kind, either the standard US Woodland pattern or maybe a Digital Woodland or Digital Urban pattern might be more fitting for an electronic device...

Let me know what you think of it and any suggestions you have and I'll keep you updated on my progress...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Re: FPS controller project worklog
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »
I like the bullet buttons, bloody brilliant. I think the ROL would be awesome if it looked like a cross hair though going with your theme. Not so much the X box X but if it were a red cross. It seems quite fitting. Circled by red of course. A lot of red yes, but it makes sense the way I am thinking about it.

-TwisT
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:10:09 PM by TwisTtheTwiTcH »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:30:03 PM »
Actually I have another caliber that fits the guide button (just have to find a few empties ;) ). I was however thinking of back-lighting all the buttons with either red or yellow, though a low intensity red might stay a bit more with the theme and be easier on the eyes when playing in dark rooms...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »
howd you get the icp to work, reprogramming would interfere with the controller if you don't switch between it?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:44:11 PM by GhoSt_Death »
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline F4thAcE

• Hillbilly Modder
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • i live in the country my neigbors are trees.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:35:40 AM »
Actually I have another caliber that fits the guide button (just have to find a few empties ;) ). I was however thinking of back-lighting all the buttons with either red or yellow, though a low intensity red might stay a bit more with the theme and be easier on the eyes when playing in dark rooms...

What caliber are you talking about. i got a miniature gun store in my closest and i would love to have a bullet guide button  :dribble:

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:47:39 AM »
If you are going to backlight the bullet buttons i suggest to associate the button's original color with the backlight's color.

For example the bullet where the A button should be green backlit the B red... etc.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 08:16:22 PM »
@ghost: the ipc icp isn't in yet, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do it. so all I did was cut a hole for another miniUSB so that I don't have to do it later... Any help on getting it going is much appreciated.

@F4thAcE: I'm not sure which but i'm looking for a few empty 30-30, 30-06, and .308 (7.62) shells. I'm not sure which because my calipers went missing at work so I can't measure it acurately again right now. I'm pretty sure it was one of those, somewhere in that range... Once I can get my hands on a few of those then I can figure out the best one to use and the best way to implement it into the guide button spot.

@FOOKz: you know me and the color corresponding buttons, of course they'll be the proper colors ;) triggers will be red, yellow, or white, not sure yet as I haven't settled on a paint scheme, but those would work best with the paint choices.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:19:21 PM by jrfhoutx »

Offline F4thAcE

• Hillbilly Modder
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 11:56:30 AM »
i looked at all of those shells and.... all of them are WAY to small the closet thing that i found in my collection was a 444 Marlin. and i bet a 28 gauge shell would fit nicely as guide. and i bet a 32. auto would work for start and back. but i am currently out of both of those shells. :\

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 08:11:11 PM »
Ok I dug up the old thread that is the only other place I've ever seen these mods done. I looked at it again and you're right a 30-30 is too small (that's what the guy used but I don't want to do the mod the same way he did)... So, it's back to the drawing board on this one. I don't want to use a shot shell for that cause I don't want the rim of the shell to overlap the ROL lens. So I guess I'll have to find some other caliber that'll fit fairly snug in the ROL lens. I guess I'll have to measure the guide button and crossreference the size, then take a trip to the ammo store. I hate messing with live rounds...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:15:01 PM by jrfhoutx »

Offline F4thAcE

• Hillbilly Modder
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 02:24:03 PM »
you could always shoot the rounds; no more live ammunition  :tup:

if you find that caliber be sure to message me on what caliberit is. it would be really appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:25:05 PM by F4thAcE »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 01:49:53 PM »
In order to shoot the rounds you'd need the appropriate firearm and not only do I not currently own any but I don't plan on dropping $ on one just so I can have a few empty rounds to experiment with... If I find an appropriate round I'll post a tutorial...

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 02:26:43 PM »
You can buy casings off the Internet. Just get some verniers to measure the hole diameter (inches and mm) and find a suitable round.

Offline F4thAcE

• Hillbilly Modder
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 05:59:12 PM »
Venom has got it right. and you know you could just Hammer and Pin the bullet. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal