Author Topic: first lighting mod, having issues  (Read 1861 times)

Offline 94383Z71

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
first lighting mod, having issues
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »
 So as I've bee working on swapping parts around and such, I've noticed that there's almost a baseplate of solder that glues to the board and you solder to that. Well I've had several of mine come off when working on different components. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I need a new board? 

This is the first time I've really done more than disassembly and paintwork. I have alot of soldering experince, just not on these. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
Re: first lighting mod, having issues
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:32:13 PM »
first off you havent really explained what your modding and some pictures would be great

Offline 94383Z71

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »
Oh, my bad. In particular, it's happened on the ring of light and on the left thumbstick, since I had to put a new one on.

Its on their solder points where they join to the board itself, and you can basically see the composite material of the board and you can't get solder to adhere to it and get good connection. I'll try to get a pic.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »
Once a solder trace gets pulled off its near impossible to put them back on. The best thing you can do for now is scratching the green stuff off and soldering to the copper still attached to the board. Even then its very tricky to do.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 12:36:56 PM »
as fookz said this is a tough one. follow the trace to the via (small hole), scrame the green down to the copper carefully and solder there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal