Author Topic: Fan Hack.  (Read 5057 times)

techninjadude

Fan Hack.
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:44:25 AM »
So I wanna install some Fans, on a old Xbox. If you send more volts does it go faster, and louder. Will it break, if I send to much.
Sorry for the questions. I know there Nooby.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
Re: Fan Hack.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:06:19 AM »
more volts = more speed = more noise

yes too much voltage will kill it, just stick to the specified voltage for your fan

Offline DARk_ANGEL

• Acidmods Rocks!!!
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:13:53 AM »
There should be a sticker on the fan and it tells you the voltage you can use

p.s. if its not there try googling some fans untill you get yours

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »
xbox 360 fans run on 5v well mine does cause its a good realible xbox and doesnt heat up and r-rod the more the xbox heats up the volts increase and the fans goes faster but whats the need to change the voltage your paranoid about it. it doesnt matter my xbox is open upstairs no case on and no fan plugged in and is still running fine so whats the point the main thing on an xbox is not the fan but the heat shrink so please stop posting every where that you need more fans because the reality is you dont it just needs to stay clean inside and to have a good air supply going to them if you really want to sort out the xbox water cool it end of and to be clear xbox fans are 12v dc fans just my thoughts sick of hearing about stupid extra fans

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 02:06:02 PM »
Famas that wont work. The heatsink is used to dissipate heat and a fan is used to bring in fresh cool air for the heatsinks. Without fans you are setting yourself up for failure. I have done lots of testing with different temp guns and thermocouples. But upgrading fans you can lower temps between 5 and 10 degrees sometimes higher. Also think about this...take the fan off the radiator on your car and see how long it takes for your car to overheat.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:45:22 PM by laxboy »

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 02:20:50 PM »
tbh its fine in a cool environment without a fan and the casing off just saying you dont need more fans when 1 does the job fine just tried it without the fan and its working great probably because of the cool weather so no need for the retard bit is my xbox still working ermm i think so. so im pretty sure im not a retard

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 02:23:55 PM »
Of course it's gonna work, but not for along period of time. And Why the hell would you disconnect your fan anyways. You should have that hooked up so it sucks all that heat off the heatsinks.

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:28:05 PM »
pretty sure my xbox has been working for days playing hours at a time gaming without r-rod so why  the retard comment

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:32:59 PM »
The reason I said retard is because your trying to make those other guys feel stupid for wanting to add a fan to their console. You need to do some research before you start telling people that certain mods are pointless and telling them to stop posting about it. I apologize if your panties are in a bunch now lol...

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 02:38:15 PM »
but i have done my research the main reason that xbox r-rod for heat isnt because of the fan its that the main heat shrink is clogged up with dust and cannot disipate the heat agree? if you have the full case off and live in a cold area it will disipate heat itself as i proved myself by running my xbox for days without the fan just cause you live in hot climates dosent mean everyone does...

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »
Its not fine to run ur 360 without fans.
Anyone who says theres no problem with it is deluded.

Famas, do you live in antarctica?

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 02:48:02 PM »
no but my room is the right shape and the right size and temp to decipate the heat fine i have the top off no fan and its working fine will add the fan back in the summer

Offline DARk_ANGEL

• Acidmods Rocks!!!
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +5/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
There both right in a way because if you disconnect your fans it will overheat but in a way if you leave your xbox in a cool place you wouldint need to even think about over heating. How about keeping the fans on lol and keep it in a cool place and there shoulint be a problem

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »
There is an application in which heatsinks are fine without fans.

Open air cooled motors going 40 down the street.

But, when you take that air cooled motor, compress it to the half the size of a dollar bill and put it in a poorly vented box - it takes more than a heatsink to disperse heat! You need to remove the heat from the fins IMMEDIATELY so they can continue to disperse heat. Optimally, you'll have a fan coming into the case, a fan coming out of the case, and a fan on the heatsink moving the heat on down the tunnel. It's really sickening that companies can spend so much in technologies research and development, but they can't properly cool a laptop or gaming console. They use inferior thermal paste/inadequate amounts of thermal paste, blocked vents for the internal draw, only use fans blowing out, no fans - or even necessary heatsinks - on major chips.

Remember crystal radios?

I want a crystal PS3.

Offline [HoP]

• Ex-AcidMag
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +9/-3
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »
Ok..

1) It doesn't matter where you live or what the temperature is.. If you live where it is 0 degrees or where it is 100 degrees, INSIDE YOUR HOUSE IS STILL ~70 unless your super poor, but then you wouldn't be on this forum talking about your xbox.

2) The way the xbox is designed is that way for a reason... IF IT HAS A FAN, IT IS SUPPOSED TO...

3) There are many different types of heatsinks, some are meant to be used without fans, others are for fans, some require fans. If there is not enough room inside the case to create a natural draft from the heat creating the draft for itself then you will shorten the life of whatever it is that you are using without a fan.

4) GET BACK ON TOPIC... SERIOUS....

-----------------------------

tech, if something is designed to take a certain voltage, it will shorten its life if more is applied. also it "could" shorten the life if less is applied.

you can get many different voltages from an xbox, you can make the voltage be whatever you want (with the right parts) you could make it have 100,000v if you wish.. it just would take the right parts to do so.

Fans come in many different voltage, many different speeds, and many different shapes.

If you do the right research you can find a low RPM fan that removes lots of air. this has to do with the aero-dynamics and design of the fan itself.

Here is a link to get started with. they have some interesting products (you could find cheaper ones)

http://www.acousticpc.com/

When designing a quiet cooler you have to remember that more isn't always better... air has a flow similar to that of water. if you create a good path for the air to flow, you'll have better cooling and you wouldn't need as many CFM (cubic feet per minute).

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »
Why not just get a 12v fan and use a potentiometer and build in a volt/fanspeed/temp gauge. Then you can set your fan anywhere from 0-12v.... so if somebody tells you OMG that fan is running crazy and its gonna blow up your house by running on 12v all the time you can say stfu and turn the knob and set it back at 5v.  If you want a quiet fan then buy a nice little sleeve bearing fan, but they don't last as long. If you want long life fan and don't mind the noise then buy a ball bearing fan.

Offline [HoP]

• Ex-AcidMag
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +9/-3
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 06:47:24 PM »
ball bearings are quieter at high speeds...

there are newer bearings out on the market as well. You could use a maglev fan or... if you want to get crazy, you can get some fluid-bearing fans.

techninjadude

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 11:42:29 AM »
What Crazy Modder said Is what I am thinking of doing, So I dont bust out the Fan in 1hour game play I can change the speed, depending on how long I played.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »
I remember setting up a little temperature controlled fan circuit I found on the internet, it consisted of a thermo-resistor, Mosfet and a potentiometer (to control the temperature to speed). The xbox itself does this to some degree, but usually its not effective enough for a modder.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline cyberboy109

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +8/-4
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »
my last 360 i added new fans , replaced the rear with Talismoon and added XCM Core Cooler Version 2 left the top part of the case off, was never ever coverd, xbox 360 was never online due to i had no internet, very rarly played it maybe 2 hours max than 1 day i decided to watch a dvd and i got the ROD....so my point is adding new fans or even hacking fans to increase speed mite not help...i think its just down to luck

techninjadude

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 10:01:59 AM »
RROD, for cooling? I guess the Gpu and Cpu, dont lose heat quickly

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal