Author Topic: GeoHot to Root the Xperia Play  (Read 7247 times)

Offline Bonz

• I'm Back Baby
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +3/-1
  • 2 1337 4 u
    • Bonznumber1
GeoHot to Root the Xperia Play
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
    George holts AKA Geohot has made a comment on his blog in a rather long post that he plans to take on another Sony device, the Xperia Play.  here is the quote from his site.

I was on the verge of quitting this stuff last June, and I would hate to be the one who sets a reputation for hackers that all a company has to do is sue us and we back down. In fact, I want the opposite reputation set, that the more a company tries to abuse the legal system, the harder we rally back. I will be the first person in line on the launch date of the Xperia Play, and itching to get my hands on the Next GEOHOT Project.

All I can say is WOW  :#1: this guy is amazing he is being sued by Sony.  In this long post he asks the community for donations to help with his legal battle, and mid way through he drops a hint that he will be hacking another Sony product!  Go GeoHot I for one am glad to here that he will be on this Project as it took so long for my x10 to get rooted and with GeoHot on the job I'm guessing the play will have root within the first month!

GeoHot's old blog: http://geohot.com/
And the new one: http://geohotgotsued.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:48:41 PM by TwisTtheTwiTcH »

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
Re: GeoHot to Root the Xperia Play
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
wooo! the legend will strike his hammer again and break the unbreakable! he should do the NGP. lol :)

Offline Bonz

• I'm Back Baby
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +3/-1
  • 2 1337 4 u
    • Bonznumber1
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:12:39 AM »
he just may when it comes out... I'd rather see Dark Alex make his triumphant return on the NGP

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 03:52:00 AM »
geo=cracker
dark alex = cracker/hacker

geo is nothing really.

3 people was hacking the iphone geo got all info and done it no biggy you can find the ones that was doing it first on sites i dont go on anymore.geo just needs to stay being a pointless spoiled little kid in his bed room or get out get layed and get a bloody life.

you never seen this awhile back on cracking groups or hackers coming out in public and say its we are just testing this and that then get other people busted sony already have over 100 not much but there using there rights not hacking or anything just searching on the servers

ill finish after geos not worth a full statement
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

techninjadude

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 05:41:01 AM »
Yeah, I kno
I have the feeling he works for sony.

Post Merge: February 22, 2011, 05:41:27 AM
I mean Seriously Were the Hell did he Learn to hack
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:41:27 AM by techninjadude »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 07:06:56 AM »
he learned it the same way anyone else does, he just takes stuff from others and builds on it. he didn't hack the iphone the first time by himself, he was working with the dev team, he just released it without permission like the child he really is. it's the same for most of the stuff he does. he works with others until it's close to release then he jumps the gun and puts it out for the notoriety... he's a total media/fame :censored:...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »
id doesn't matter if he was the sole hacker or he was with a team. he got chosen by companies to represent there hackers and now hes fighting for our rights. And yes hacking starts usually with a skrew driver and opening up stuff:) that how i started! xD

and im not wuire sure about my knowlegde, but did he first invent the hardware hack of the iphone? i mean during the time there were only 2 hacked iphones. and as a hacker myself, in theory if someone finds out a theory doesnt mean they were the sole providers of the hack. The true hacker is the one that implements that and apples theory's, not creates them. hes a prodigy specially for his age.

hope you win :) sony vs geohot

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:30:25 AM »
jr i'm glad there 2 on here ive seen that thinks the same as i do

Post Merge: February 22, 2011, 09:36:44 AM
id doesn't matter if he was the sole hacker or he was with a team. he got chosen by companies to represent there hackers and now hes fighting for our rights. And yes hacking starts usually with a skrew driver and opening up stuff:) that how i started! xD

and im not wuire sure about my knowlegde, but did he first invent the hardware hack of the iphone? i mean during the time there were only 2 hacked iphones. and as a hacker myself, in theory if someone finds out a theory doesnt mean they were the sole providers of the hack. The true hacker is the one that implements that and apples theory's, not creates them. hes a prodigy specially for his age.

hope you win :) sony vs geohot

theres no way geo will win as he signed up for psn so he broke the t&c's set by sony he did work with the dev team not done much then published the beta without the teams permission and classed it as his own.hes not a hacker cracker or anything hes just a stupid kid that hogs and claims stuff as his own.

its not for all just the cheap ass people that dont want to pay for stuff.he knows hes going down for this.the sooner people relies geo is a ass kisser the better
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:36:44 AM by whitetop »
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 09:40:06 AM »
yes. well im getting the vibe that jrfhoutx does not like hackers or developers. im sorry if you get upset. but sometime certain thing trigger me. im not quite sure of his stance, but if you hacker friendly then jrfhoutx  your kool man. and its fun having a intelligent discussion.

ohh i foiund a nice video. i just though it was funny.
The Light It Up Contest -- geohot

techninjadude

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:40:09 AM »
For instance look at dark alex, he dosnt show himself to the real world, he aint some noob that posts youtube videos talking about his hacks, he dosnt tell us his real name, he dosnt get interviewed on news channels, he dosnt have a page on wikipedia all to himself, he wasnt sued by sony.....WTF but geohot did. Why?

This is what I think, so dont reply telling me that I got it all wrong. :cry4:

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 10:50:04 AM »
I think you really misunderstand me gerald. I have nothing against hackers or devs, nothing at all. I used to be a hacker, I'm no dev, I don't really code, though I'm trying to learn. I was hacking NASA dial-ups here in Houston in the mid 80s after I got my first 300baud modem when I was 8.

I have a problem with liars, thieves, and whiny :censored:es. I don't like hearing about people stealing a hack from a team they worked with and releasing it without authority, and claiming it to be their own when they know it isn't. I don't like hearing about people who hack something, get in trouble for it, and then claim it's for the good of the 'community'. I don't like hearing people who knowingly violate the tos contract they agreed to and then whining about it when they get caught doing it and shut down. I don't like 'hackers' who do it for fame and notoriety. I'm from the days when you did things just to see if they could be done, not to become a 'famous hacker' and get hits on a site.

Again, I have no problem with hackers or devs. My problem is with the people who give hacking a bad name, people like geohot and the masses of whiny 'where's my new jailbeak' :censored:es. He's not in any of this for you or anyone else, he's in it for himself, being a 'freedom fighter' is just a bonus for him. he's just a snotty obnoxious kid who wants to be well known for what he does... well, I also want him to well known for what he does... Lie, cheat, steal, take credit for work others have done, and being a fame :censored:... There are plenty of hackers that I have a great deal of respect for, the dev team, chronic dev, dark alex, comex to name a few recent ones... they do it and they're not in it for the notoriety, they do it cause it's what they enjoy doing and they want to see if it's possible.

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 11:10:26 AM »
well if you were a hacker back then then you should know that hacking back then was all about the query of knowledge and the trill of just going were you were not allowed to go, geohot might be the same. i would prefer a hacker getting sued then he wins to give up more rights then to stay in the dark and having fear to come out into the dark. Its true, hes suck a egotistic person. i Mean really egotistic, but again, i prefer to get more right and not who is doing it. And i agree with you about the whole iphone scene, i have those whinny :censored:es wating for another hack.

i dont consider him a bad hacker. just a hacker that sucks up a lot to the media. What truly gives hackers a bad name is the media, instead of calling them"Ciber criminals " the call them "hackers" (which i got suspended from a school because of a essay i made once attacking media forms.)

well it was just his choice. I agree he did not give credit to failoverflow at first when he got the HV keys from the ps3, but all failoverflow did was present a thory that diminished the ps3's security, and he then build upon that. But then team overflow used geohots code to made asbestOS to reinstall linux on the ps3. so in a way the both stole code from each other.

@ techninjadude

if i were to make work like he did, i would like the world to know. egotistic people like us what the world to know. dark alex did great work too, He just decided not to present himself, just take into consideration that he might be in a different country and laws in countries may vary. Therefore if geohot here got sued, something of the magnitude in a different country might be jail time. who knows. me, a hacker myself, have made some work too, but i would openly call myself Gerald Rubalcava from California ,US. if i have done a big enough work to attract a companies attention, i would feel honored myself. :)

This is what hacker do, if you hack NASA, its just for proof of security, not to be a russian spy.

And if you are truely with us, You should know that when apple started, steve jobs used to phone freak. (old term for telephone hacking) i know my history, and people like geohot are the new kids on the block, the true hacking is dying, and now they are the next generation. and im sorry if i call you out, but to say that you once were 8 trying to hack NASA, i dont believe you, if you were truely a hacker you would see my point. but ehh.  :#1: long live hacking.

Post Merge: February 22, 2011, 11:25:15 AM
ohh im sorry if i rant alot i just dont like other people who call themselves a ex-hacker but does not see the good things certain people like geohot or teamoverflow brought to the table. (team failoverflow) goal was just to add linux to the ps3, and geohot wanted to add homebrew. Both do not like piracy. period!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:30:32 AM by geraldrubalcava »

techninjadude

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
Your So true.  :dribble: :dribble: :#1:

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »
yea just different laws in different contries. lol well sorry i i rant on. i realy do,

can we just agree that us hackers need more laws that protect us?

techninjadude

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 11:44:34 AM »
Yeah, the thing is that, we need more real hackers, not kids on youtube playing around on the Command Prompt thinking that there doing real hacking.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:05:37 PM by laxboy »

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »
true. thats wrong. knowing your way around a system is not hacking. knowing you war around a system to accomplish something they system was not intended to do is hacking. lol Hacking the NSA wow, if i were to do dat i will have the fuzz on my balls so fast that its not funny. hahaha lol

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »
hacking for the sake of knowledge doesn't include being an arrogant media whoring douche, it means doing something to see if it can be done, not for the sake of fame, notoriety, fortune or anything else; simply to prove it can be done and to figure out how.

the point is that he's a douche, I don't like him and I don't think he helps the community. yeah, the media gives hackers 'names' with buzz words and all that, but they don't create the image for us, we create the image, we're the ones that give them the fodder to use against us. It doesn't matter what they call hackers, it's the image of them that they present and arrogant douchebags like geohot don't help present a better image; you wanna change the image they portray then stop giving them douchebags like geohot for our 'heros'. It's not the public mind that needs to be changed if you want things to really happen, you need to change the minds of the lawmakers or change the lawmakers.

yes, i know jobs used to phreak, everyone and anyone with half a brain did then because you could and boxes were super simple to make...

as for what I did or did not do when I was 8, I lived in the JSC area, my dad just bought a top of the line Tandy 1000; NASA was using dial-ups to access work computer systems from home, computer security wasn't all that complex back then. I picked up computers quick, so I had fun with it... whether you believe it or not is inconsequential.

I don't really care whether you agree with me or my opinion, tbh. to say I don't see the point you're making is ridiculous. I see what you're trying to get at, I just don't agree with it. I don't think that he deserves being put on the pedestal that you and so many others seem to want to put him on. yes geohot makes some contributions to the community, but I think he does more harm than good and is more annoying than he is worthwhile. that's just a difference of opinion in regards to his value.

Offline 45th Assassin

• Modder in Training
  • Registered BST
  • Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Modder in the Making....
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 04:22:34 PM »
jrfhoutx, that couldn't have been stated any better.... I agree with you entirely and for one do not agree with the role Geohot is trying to play in order to satisfy his media-starved personality!

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »
well we all have our opinion on the guy. He is arrogant, but if he can deal with the media its all up to him.

and i see the point you are trying to make too, but this is just different views. ive bin very recent to online communities. Back then i used to go to blackhat and toorcon, and defcons. and thats how hacks were shared. but now we have communities and other people have other opinions.
 well im not one to judge on who is a good hacker and who is not. Im just saying the more the better.

and i would of guessed that back then they did not have good encryption or seciruty :) lol but that should like the old movie "war games". lol great movie by the way.

techninjadude

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:14 AM »
I love those, films especially TRON LEGACY,
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:32:22 AM by techninjadude »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal