Author Topic: watercoolers?  (Read 1734 times)

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
watercoolers?
« on: March 19, 2011, 09:00:26 AM »
i got this for 25

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/854/1/

and its got compound already on it but what i want to know should i take it off and use the arctic ice i have as i do mkv converting and gaming on the pc so it gets some spec pushing?
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
Re: watercoolers?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »
Always replace stock thermal compound with arctic silver or better.

The stock stuff is sticker based on most ALL cooling systems, and is truely crapola. (98% true)

BTW : Grats on your new water cooler!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:53:08 PM by DuctTapedGoat »

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »
would artic silver 3 work or should i buy the newer one??

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
Arctic silver 3 is fine - it's going to be a step up from whatever the stock thermal compound is. Thermal paste is one of those things that's SO worth the 18 dollar syringe with 10 mL, you'll be stocked for years and never have to waste money on the 3$ one time applicators.

The stock stuff is usually applied like a sticker, and it's just sub par in that it dries up quickly, then once it's dry it doesn't conduct heat - rather then it insulates heat on your chip units. Always a good investment.

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 08:13:26 PM »
thx for the info first timer on this as you can see

the compound does look very cheap and from what ive seen on overclockers site its best to put a silver based compound on it but even with artic silver on the heat sink i got now seems to not keep this cpu cool even with me not doing mkv encoding so this is why i got the cooler as well

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
Well, not just for you, but for anyone else who doesn't know about thermal paste, what it does, and the basics of how cooling works and why it's so important, I'm going to just toss a spiel out.

~~fan~~
   ||heatsink||
**thermal paste**
      {chip}

That is your very basic chip cooling. Thermal paste is made of incredibly small pieces of synthetic conductive metals that make a pastelike compound. Currently, Arctic Silver 5 is your top shelf stuff (see www.arcticsilver.com for more details). This compound conducts heat from your chip, and transfers it into the heatsink. The heatsink is generally aluminum, and is comprised of dozens of fins, which dissipate the heat into the air around it. Optimally, there is a fan mounted directly on the heatsink to cool the fins and allow the heat to freely flow off the chip and into the surrounding air.

A basic case will have an intake bringing cool air into the case from below, and an outtake fan at the top blowing air out of the case - with your chip in the middle producing heat.

Often times, there are vents with no fans attached to them - this is due to that most manufacturers are cheap and want to minimize costs of production. This isn't good for the end user! For intake spots, that means you're not getting adequate cool air to cool the hot air coming off the heatsink, and when there's not an exhaust fan, your hot air is pooling up, which means your chip isn't getting cooled! Your fan on the heatsink is just blowing hot air at hot fins. Like I said, rule of thumb is - a fan on every vent, top ones for exhaust, bottom ones for intake.

That right there is just the facts.

Personally, I will always prefer listening to a fan going 10000 rpms than not be able to use my computer or game system. That's what good speakers are for anyways. Though, there are very high quality fans that you can get that are VERY silent, even at high rpm.

Often times, there are open chips that do get hot, yet don't even have a heatsink! You can add a heatsink to it - or even better mount a fan blowing into it too. This is a super common mod on PCs, putting a heatsink with a fan on the northbridge chip. There are also fan speed programs out there for increasing voltage to the fans. If you're feeling adventurous, you can get thermistors to regulate the voltage to the fans based on the temperature.

Cooling is a huge world with thousands of possibilities, and you're only limited by how much research you're willing to do and how deep your wallet goes.

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »
thx for this info hope others have use for it  i mite get the artic silver 5 to be on the safer side before putting it on

my fans are very quiet but have to keep the side off due to the cpu heat you would not believe how many heat sinks ive tried to get this heat sorted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal