Author Topic: Robotic Arm  (Read 7661 times)

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
Robotic Arm
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:55:16 PM »
Hey guys, this site has changed so much since I was a regular user. Been busy with school, a job, and getting ready for college. Haven't had much time to really do much. Although in my spare time I've been working on a robotic arm. It's not finished yet but the prototype almost is. Been working on it for about 6 months on and off when I can. Once its done I want to attempt to build a nice one with good clean cuts, painted nice, and what not. So here a couple pics and videos, hope you guys enjoy!

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/v/1899588132121" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.facebook.com/v/1899588132121</a>
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/v/1978343340952" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.facebook.com/v/1978343340952</a>

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:59:26 PM by zbblanton »

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
Re: Robotic Arm
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:01:22 PM »
Aww, videos aren't up. v_v;;

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Sorry, forgot the videos were on friends only. Should work now.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:41:44 PM »
This is some real cool stuff man. Keep it up. damn you could get a job doing this.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »
Thanks, I do believe I remember you from way back. I could be mistaken though. As for the job, I wish, that is basically my dream job.

Update on the arm: Not much of anything, been caught up in homework and work. So hopefully this weekend I can get the the Claw attached. After that I plan to start programming some actions.

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:19:37 PM »
Very cool stuff - mind revealing how much pressure the arm and claw can each provide?

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:58:21 PM »
Oh gosh, I have all the papers with the math in front of me, but to be honest I don't remember what math is right and what is wrong. So give me a day or so and I'll let you know. Although as for the claw, I haven't did any math for. I just build it as a test really, it was a beast to design and get together.

I can give some specs of the servos though. They weigh about 41g and has torque of 11kg/cm.

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
Ok, got some time finally. So if I did my math correct the Arm at full extent can only pick up about a 1 pound object.

11 kg/cm = objectweight * 21.59cm + .2kg * 1/2 * 21.59

objectweight = .4583kg

.4583kg = 1.01037855 pounds

So if that's not correct. Don't be shy to tell me. I need to know myself.
As for the claw, I didn't design it to really pick up much more then a pencil or something along those lines. Hopefully the next model will have a fully functioning claw that can grab Pop cans and such things.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:26:47 PM by zbblanton »

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
what would be really cool is to see the arm use a gyro to sense if it hits something or not so it has a 'feel' for things. A micro controller can definitely support that, theres gyroscopes that you can buy that are under $50 and can sense bumps, vibration, motion on XYZ axises etc etc... 

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
I've been reading about those, that would definitely be a cool addition. I'm going to try to get the IR range finder thing, so it can use inverse kinematics and grab the object. The gyroscope would be even better since it has much more capability though. So for sure something I want to look into more.

As for the micro controller, I got an Arduino board to cover everything. I love that thing, its like cheating lol.

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 11:54:14 PM »
Finally got the claw attached. It's pretty heavy now so I'm going to try to get a couple test's going to make sure  the servos will be ok.
After that, I think I'm going to start designing new pieces and basically rebuild it so it will look a little nicer.

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 11:38:59 PM »
Here's an update to the status of my robotic since it's been like 5 months ago. I've really made quiet a bit of progress, slow progress, but progress none the less.

Finally got around to rebuilding my gripper. This one uses two 9g servos instead of the one 43g servo I used in the previous version. Also when I get a little extra cash, all the metal (like the nuts,screws, and the 90 bracket) will be replaced with plastic fasteners. Which will give the gripper a weight of only about 25g.

Also finally have  added a rotation servo and added a base as well. The image is probably hard to figure out whats what, sorry I will get better pictures soon.

Also probably the coolest feature that has took a couple months to get working is that you can control the arm via the web. I'm using an arduino duemilanove with a ENC28J60 Ethernet Shield attached. I have some more info at  my site http://zbblanton.com, at the moment the arm is offline since lately I've been working on the arm. Soon though I hope to have the robot running 24/7 so anyone can play around with its features.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 12:38:01 AM »
That would be cool if you had a webcam on it too!

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 06:47:49 AM »
very interesting

Offline wetfusion

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-5
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 07:21:04 AM »
high level stuff bro. :2 thumbs up!:

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »
That would be cool if you had a webcam on it too!

lol I actually do have a webcam on it, its just offline at the moment.

Thanks for the comments guys, if any  one has more suggestions feel free to tell me.

Offline Kool1zero

• Code Monkey
  • Registered BST
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +5/-0
  • Computer, Electrical, and Network Engineering Stud
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 01:20:51 PM »
i want to play with a real life robotic arm via the internet
Stolen from f00kz

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »
I'm hoping to have it live as soon as possible. I've been super busy with college. I'm determined to get it done though. I've recently got the new arduino board for it so I'm hoping to get everything together as soon as possible.

I have integrated Bluetooth as another method of control to it though.

Offline Kool1zero

• Code Monkey
  • Registered BST
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +5/-0
  • Computer, Electrical, and Network Engineering Stud
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 05:12:50 AM »
awesome! did you ever figure out like what the hand could lift or how much it can pick up
Stolen from f00kz

Offline phenoptix

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • Phenoptix
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 07:43:44 AM »
Impressive work! Arduino is such an amazing platform. Thinking of building a robot arm myself, have a couple of hundred servos on route and my local hackspace just got a laser cutter!

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 12:38:57 AM »
Here is a small update:

So far I've got two controls working. One is WiFi and the other is Bluetooth. Bluetooth is much more responsive because it doesn't have to handle so much traffic. Although the WiFi works just fine. I've been researching a little on RC control as well. I would like to add it in the future.

The above image is the robotic arm personal little network. The network will send the video stream and control the WiFi side of control. Its nothing special just a torn apart WRT54G. The router will allow me to connect to it, receive a video stream, and control the arm via WiFi. My new and awesome Arduino Mega will connect to the router via the ENC28J60 Ethernet Shield. (Also note that the picture has a USB webcam, that's not the camera it's just sorta a placeholder.)

Another thing I've been working on is a small program for windows that allows me to control the arm and view the video stream.

Hopefully with some Christmas money ill be able to buy some more parts and continue work on.

awesome! did you ever figure out like what the hand could lift or how much it can pick up

11 kg/cm = objectweight * 21.59cm + .2kg * 1/2 * 21.59

objectweight = .4583kg

.4583kg = 1.01037855 pounds

I don't know if that is completely correct.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:44:15 AM by zbblanton »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal