Author Topic: ThermalRight TR-360 Heatsink  (Read 6100 times)

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
ThermalRight TR-360 Heatsink
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »
its been awhile and I have finally found time to post this.  have been a longtime lurker/ asking questions, and this is just a little something to give back to AM after all these years of help and support. 

Just my thoughts on the Thermal Right TR-360 Heatsink that I bought. 

initial thoughts when i first looked at it was that it looked cool ass f*ck!

I bought mines used on Ebay for $30 with free ship.  It came "Pre-adjusted" to fit into the Xbox.  what that meant was that in order for the heatsink to properly fit into the 360, some of the heatsink pipes had to be bent slightly to make room for the capacitors.  this heatsink was put into one of the first gen 360's running a Sammy Drive that had RROD in the past.  so far i have played Battlefield 2 offline and fans were running cool. i do not own a temp. gun so i cant tell u guys the exact temps of this heatsink.  but from feeling the air being pushed out, it surely does push hot air out.  the fans have been at a constant speed so far with now revving up what so ever.

so i am guessing that if u were to buy one these new, you would need to slightly bend ur heatpipes that obstructs capcitors. 

Here are a few pics of the heatsink installed and such to have an idea of what it looks like.

MY CONSOLE LIST:

-1 PS   )                -1 GameCube
-1 PS2 (fa              -2 OG Gameboys
-1 PS2 (slim           -2 color gameboys -1 PS3                   -1 GBA -5 PSP                   -1 Gameboy SP -1 iPod TOUCH                   -2 NDS w/r4 -1 iPod video 5g                 -1 Wii -1 iPod nano (2-1g)(1-3g)    -1 Sega Genisis -2 NES                             -1 Atari Lynx -1 Gameboy micro

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
Re: ThermalRight TR-360 Heatsink
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:38:39 PM »
Thats pretty sweet, but i bet i could make one that works just as good from scrap parts lol. Those are like $50 right?

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
i always wondered if it was possible to make your own heatsinks with heatpipes.  that would be sick!  i think they retail for like $50 but i got mines used.
MY CONSOLE LIST:

-1 PS2 (slim           -2 color gameboys -1 PS3                   -1 GBA -5 PSP                   -1 Gameboy SP -1 iPod TOUCH                   -2 NDS w/r4 -1 iPod video 5g                 -1 Wii -1 iPod nano (2-1g)(1-3g)    -1 Sega Genisis -2 NES                             -1 Atari Lynx -1 Gameboy micro

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:11:08 PM »
Looks like an Erector set

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
i always wondered if it was possible to make your own heatsinks with heatpipes.  that would be sick!  i think they retail for like $50 but i got mines used.

ahhh ok ic, yeah i might end up trying to make something like that when i get time lol. Just to see if it can be done.

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:03:27 PM »
if you do, make a tut! that would be SWEEEET!
MY CONSOLE LIST:

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:41:33 PM »
Ben Heck (yeah yeah I know, he's a douche) made a custom radiator for his first 360 laptop, which is kind of similar to a heatsink so you might wanna check that out :)

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 05:12:51 PM »
if i were to go about making a heatsink with heat pipes i would probably want ot get some heat pipes from a heatsink that had them already, i think theres some sort of compressed liquid inside those heatpipes that makes them work the way they do.
an as far as those fins go, you could probably mill a sub-heatsink out of some aluminum or copper, but making a bunch of those fins and then getting them to fit together might be a bit annoying :wacko:
My systems:  -PSP 2001, CFW and PSP 3000 shell.  -PSP 1001, LED mods, custom firmware, speaker mods, sound reactive LEDs.  -Black NDSL, LED mod, 0.5x and 2x speed mod. 

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
lol I made one for a beowulf cluster of mine a while ago.  I bought a motherboard/cpu/gpu set used off ebay. (it was an AMD k6-2)  they are so easy to build.  You only need an electric band saw and a chunk of coper/aluminum.  just mark where you are going to cut  and just cut a trench about an inch deep into the block then do that about 20 times along that side. then flip it on its side and do it again, making it look like a grid of trenches.  I got the idea off of heat sinks like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708009&cm_sp=Cat_Fans_%26%2338%3b_Heatsinks-_-Hot_Deals-_-35-708-009

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
if i were to go about making a heatsink with heat pipes i would probably want ot get some heat pipes from a heatsink that had them already, i think theres some sort of compressed liquid inside those heatpipes that makes them work the way they do.
an as far as those fins go, you could probably mill a sub-heatsink out of some aluminum or copper, but making a bunch of those fins and then getting them to fit together might be a bit annoying :wacko:

dang you responded before me

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal