Author Topic: MODDING FAILS?  (Read 3476 times)

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
MODDING FAILS?
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:00:47 PM »
sorry for the lack of grammar/ punctuation  but this is the interwebz plus im drunk lol

just wondering what is the biggest/funniest or WTF did i just do moments/fails while modding?

ill start
done this many times where i open a console or random things when i put it back together..... i forget a heatsink or parts and im like FML now i gotta re open it lol
plenty of solder iron burns are all over my hands i got plenty of scars to prove it
1 or 2 of white magic smoke from consoles  :confused:
doing random pcb designs and forgetting to save it
pop corned a few gpus while doing reflows lol
best one i think so far is a darn xbox kept getting RROD after any attempts of repairs i did i got so pissed off i actually threw it and it magically started working hahaha

dont be ashamed to post up 

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:02:28 PM by 3D0kassiah »
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: MODDING FAILS?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 05:03:33 AM »
I would say knocking over the soldering iron and grabbing a hold of it to keep it from burning anything in its path yet alone burning finger tips while reaching for it . or touching or burning other wires when doing rgh installs  especially on slims i have burnt the plastic holder a few times that holds the dvd drive and hdd wires.  .. trying to solder the Orange B wire on trinitys. done it like 3 times when i first started rghing

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:59:42 AM »
I would say besides burning the crap out of myself I did a controller for my brother and I Dont know how I did it but when I was testing the controller out the back got really hot then started to smoke. When I took the battery pack off the prongs that connect against the pos/neg of the battery melted into the back of the shell. I thought it was pretty funny though.

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:00:33 AM »
soldering iron was next to me and i put my arm down to rest my head only to realize the iron was there was not fun still have the scar to show

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »
I used super glue (dont ask) one time to glue down a flex board on a 360 mobo. The glue tube had a leak in the edge so when I squeezed it, the glue came out the tip, but also came out the side. I held the flex board in place with the same hand, blowing on it to dry faster and ended up gluing two fingers together and to the mobo.

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:42:05 AM »
+1 matt LOL

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »
I used super glue (dont ask) one time to glue down a flex board on a 360 mobo. The glue tube had a leak in the edge so when I squeezed it, the glue came out the tip, but also came out the side. I held the flex board in place with the same hand, blowing on it to dry faster and ended up gluing two fingers together and to the mobo.
and still to this day he walks around with his fingers glued together. to the mobo

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline gl0zz3n

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:43:27 AM »
Didn't take the thumbsticks off to re-solder my power wire the other day, I had my face inches from the board so I could see better (too lazy to get my magnifier from downstairs), started wondering why I was smelling some nasty  poop, got a crescent taken out the side.

- Was also holding my steelwool in my hand to clean off my iron while it was on, stabbed myself in the thumb with it, so burnt and prodded at the same time. ..gonna have a nice little "dot" scar to go along with all my others now, lol.

- But I'm still learning how to do all this the correct way, taught myself how to solder.. then re taught myself the correct way after realizing how terrible the finished product was, often with a giant blob of cold solder, so I'm sure I'll have all kinds of dumb things to tell you guys in the next few weeks.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 03:11:14 PM »
Didn't take the thumbsticks off to re-solder my power wire the other day, I had my face inches from the board so I could see better (too lazy to get my magnifier from downstairs), started wondering why I was smelling some nasty  poop, got a crescent taken out the side.

Man I do this all the time, accidental melted plastic.

I bought an expensive new dress shirt a while back, decided to do some quick soldering before heading out to this ball one night, had only owned the shirt for <48hours & burnt a hole straight through it and the tie I was wearing. (Had to change colour and my date was pissed.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:57:20 AM by GhoSt »
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline gl0zz3n

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »
I always take my shirt off when im soldering if it has long sleeves. I've never burnt through any of them, but the sleeves get all in my way and I don't like it, lol.

I have a new controller coming in the mail, so we'll see what else I manage to screw up in the process of building my frankenstein.

- I also have a bad habbit fo soldering at like 4am, then going to bed and leaving my iron/ glue gun on all night.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »
I tried to glue some electronics to an xbox360 controller motherboard with JB weld....

well lets say it didn't work and I learned JB weld conducts electricity pretty fast lol.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
I tried to glue some electronics to an xbox360 controller motherboard with JB weld....

well lets say it didn't work and I learned JB weld conducts electricity pretty fast lol.

JB weld is fun to do pranks with at school.  It's stronger than super glue and we used it to make the wheel of my precalculus teacher's chair stop spinning.  She gave us more homework that week.  Another fail that I have had to laugh about is my discovery that carbon fiber conducts electricity.  I was building my quadcopter when I accidentally let the 11.1v power rails touch a piece of CF.  Another thing I should mention about those power rails, they had 5 lipo batteries connected to them in parallel with the ability to put out 175A total.  The CF burnt and left just the inner plastic sleeve when that part finished burning.  I wasn't happy about that in any way because I had to buy a $15 replacement from china before I could continue with the build.

Offline Downing

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • Downing's Basement
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »
Drinking and Dremeling...never a good idea to begin with. However holding your work piece in one hand, dremel in the other with a fiber cutwheel through plastic...well it binds. And when it binds, it releases with strong skip and will skip right across the back of your fingers, making a beautiful line across all it comes into contact with. In this case 3 fingers have a nice in-line scar which is a fun story to tell of stupidity.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 02:30:56 PM »
Drinking and Dremeling...never a good idea to begin with. However holding your work piece in one hand, dremel in the other with a fiber cutwheel through plastic...well it binds. And when it binds, it releases with strong skip and will skip right across the back of your fingers, making a beautiful line across all it comes into contact with. In this case 3 fingers have a nice in-line scar which is a fun story to tell of stupidity.

This makes me cringe!

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal