Author Topic: Issue with JDM-055 Controller - L2 Button Causes Right Analog Stick Issue  (Read 562 times)

Offline F0XH0UND

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Hello everyone,

I've been encountering a peculiar issue with my JDM-055 controller, and I'm hoping someone here might have some insights or solutions to help me out. Here's the problem:

Problem Description:
Whenever I press the L2 button on my JDM-055 controller, it causes an unexpected response in my right analog stick. Specifically, it causes the right analog stick to move upwards without any input from me. This issue is affecting my gaming experience, especially in games where precise control is crucial.

What I've Tried So Far:
I've taken the following steps to address the problem:
1. Thoroughly cleaned the controller, including the L2 button and the right analog stick.
2. Replaced the wheel sensors on the controller to rule out any sensor-related issues.
3. Checked for any physical damage or loose connections inside the controller.

Despite these efforts, the problem persists, and I'm at a loss for what to do next.

Seeking Your Expertise:
If anyone has encountered a similar issue with their JDM-055 controller or has experience with controller repair, I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions you might have. Is there a specific component or part that might be causing this issue? Or perhaps there's a calibration or software-related fix I should explore?

Your insights and recommendations would be invaluable in helping me get my controller back in proper working condition. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
F0XH0UND
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 09:37:29 PM by F0XH0UND »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Issue with JDM-055 Controller - L2 Button Causes Right Analog Stick Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 09:19:55 AM »
WTH is a wheel sensor?

Try hitting the Reset button on the bottom of the controller. I've never had that do anything glorious, but it also doesn't hurt to try.

Clean the contacts where the Motherboard and the Flex board meet, just a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Make sure that piece of foam is still in the frame there under the contacts of the Flex board, as it helps to keep pressure and make that connection between those when the controller is all together. Using a piece of paper under that foam strip to shim it just a shade can also sometimes help as that will put more pressure on the contacts. If none of that works, try a new Flex board.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 09:21:21 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline F0XH0UND

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 02:19:03 PM »
WTH is a wheel sensor?

Try hitting the Reset button on the bottom of the controller. I've never had that do anything glorious, but it also doesn't hurt to try.

Clean the contacts where the Motherboard and the Flex board meet, just a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Make sure that piece of foam is still in the frame there under the contacts of the Flex board, as it helps to keep pressure and make that connection between those when the controller is all together. Using a piece of paper under that foam strip to shim it just a shade can also sometimes help as that will put more pressure on the contacts. If none of that works, try a new Flex board.

Hey RDC,

I appreciate your response and suggestions. Let me clarify the situation:

Wheel Sensor Clarification:
I apologize for any confusion. When I referred to the "wheel sensor," I meant the white potentiometer sensor inside the blue pot on the Alps joystick, responsible for the analog stick's position detection.

Steps Taken:
1. I've attempted using the reset button on the bottom of the controller, but it didn't resolve the issue.
2. I followed your advice and thoroughly cleaned the contacts where the motherboard and the flex board meet, using a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. The foam piece is correctly in place, but I haven't tried using a paper shim under it yet. I'll give that a shot to see if it improves the connection.

However, despite these efforts, the problem persists.

Troubleshooting Continues:
I've also replaced the flex board with a working one, but the issue remains. The one that was in the broken controller is now inside another controller and works perfectly.

I'm currently in the process of troubleshooting and attempting to pinpoint the root cause. If anyone has further insights or recommendations, especially regarding motherboard-level issues, I'd greatly appreciate your assistance. I believe L2 and RSY are intefering with each other. Just no knowledge how to fix.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 09:23:41 PM »
That's not a sensor, it's just the wiper.

The RSY and L2 really have nothing to do with each other as far as how they work goes, aside from using the same 3.2v rail, but if that was being affected then a whole lot more things would be acting up. They don't even get next to each other on the board trace wise. I've heard of that issue more than a couple times, never had one here in hand to diagnose though, and everything previously mentioned seemed to get the others sorted out.

Tried pulling the battery and letting it sit a bit? Then plug it back up while holding the Reset button.

What platform(s) is it acting up on? I'm wondering if it's some possible driver issue where a reboot might correct it, or if it's only PS4 related, or acts up no matter what it's connected to.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Eren_Ackerman

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 09:31:01 PM »
The problem is the other part of the potentiometer. You replaced the white wheel-like thingy, but the actual problem is in the green piece that the white wheel is in contact with.

The potentiometer is worn out. If you carefully inspect it inside, you will see that the white wheel has metal needles that rub against a black surface. That black surface is worn out and there is a hole in it. The potentiometer is part of a floating data circuit that shares information with L2 and R2; when you press L2, the information is calculated for the CPU chip to interpret what you are doing, but as the potentiometer has a hole in it there is also a hole in information that gets misinerpreted and it makes the CPU think that you wanted to do different things at the same time. Once you replace the entire potentiometer, the problem will be gone because the data in the floating circuit will be stable again.

The picture shows places where you are likely to find one or more holes in the potentiometer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal