Author Topic: Xbox360 Controller painting help?  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
Xbox360 Controller painting help?
« on: August 21, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »
I have been using duplicolor perfect match spray paint to paint a few xbox 360 shells. All have come out perfect. But for some reason when trying to paint controllers, when using white or clear coat, it starts to turn pinkish purplish. Has anyone else run into this problem? i mean i thought it was the can itself and tested it on another white 360 console shell and it clear coats fine. It's just happening on controllers for me. Also the controller is originally black. Thanks for any input guys.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: Xbox360 Controller painting help?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »
It could be a chemical interaction with your paint color under the clear. other than that I cannot say.

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »
Its possible. Anyway, I sprayed the controller with krylon fusion paint and clear coat. And still the clear coat turns pink/purplish.

Offline watchm3n

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »
Did you happen to use a paint with primer included.  If not I would try using a primer first then base coat.  Once finished then Clear.  Let me know if you have any luck. 

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 05:42:16 PM »
Yes one of the spray paint had a base coat in it. And it came out great until I applied the clear coat.  Right now I got a  controller shell painted with it, gonna see if it still turns pink.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 05:49:06 PM »
let it fully dry the base coat (Primer) and the color you put on before spraying final coat i believe what is happening is that the colors are having a chemical reaction  to the base coat and color  ( not positive but something to try)  also make sure its not humid where your at either  i have notices with some clears turning completely white  in humid weather making the paint look dull and ugly i had this issue on the purple controller and purple and white xbox i first did i let it fully dry and came out great once all 3 paints were fully dry after 48 hours

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 06:16:48 PM »
yeah thats what im trying now Rodent. I've painted one of my clear controller shells with the Krylon White paint. Letting it sit over night to fully dry, then i'll spray the clear after it fully dries.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 05:15:35 AM »
Let us know how it goes.  and i am sure you cleaned the controller before you started .  sweating hands on controllers and what ever else gets on these can be really nasty . I usually  wipe them off with bleach disinfecting wipes and alcohol then scuff the controllers with sand paper then prime them

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Whitey86

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 05:54:50 AM »
I have had the same problem happen to me on a glossy slim case.i took the case to a friend who owns a body shop and he said its a reaction with the black bleeding through thus causing the pink colour.
im not a master at this but i used a primer filler and this stopped the problem for me.may not work for others but i succeeded second time around.Hope you find a solution

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 06:42:17 AM »
I wet sand my controller and wipe them down with 99.99% alcohol.

But i am gonna completely redo the black controlller. Gonna make my nephew sand it down back to black and start again since its his controller. i haven't checked on my clear controller shell that i painted white. I just woke up but i will be working on this today.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 07:18:31 AM »
I have had the same problem happen to me on a glossy slim case.i took the case to a friend who owns a body shop and he said its a reaction with the black bleeding through thus causing the pink colour.
im not a master at this but i used a primer filler and this stopped the problem for me.may not work for others but i succeeded second time around.Hope you find a solution

the reason that this could be is due to the Mold release agent they use to get the parts to release in the mold .  even thou parts are cleaned etc still can be in the plastic when made at the factory causing this issue to affect paint  especially if they use any type of silicone mold release agent  can cause paint to do funny things when painted even though you clean  the parts what i useally do is  ruff sand with 220 grit first

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 08:30:29 AM »
Wow, i thought 600 was going to far but 220. The closest i can get my hands on right now is 320. so i'll try with that on the black controller shell. I had to resand the white shell to remove some runs that i had.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 08:39:31 AM »
yea i use 220 to ruff the bare shell then prime then after priming wet sand with 400 to 600 grit  then paint then wet sand the paint with 600 or higher then clear the for final coat for really good finish wet sand with 1200 or higher between clear coats

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »
yea i use 220 to ruff the bare shell then prime then after priming wet sand with 400 to 600 grit  then paint then wet sand the paint with 600 or higher then clear the for final coat for really good finish wet sand with 1200 or higher between clear coats

yeah i go all the way up to 3000 sometimes, but mostly i go up to 2500. it gives it that nice wet look.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »
Even after sanding sometimes you just have to wash it off more... well what if you don't want to sand it....

Liquid Dawn dish soap is excellent for removing most residues from plastic surfaces. Gojo pumice hand cleaner is also another excellent cleaner if your soap can't 'degrease' the surface. Both work well, give the parts a good scrub over, rinse off and repeat at least twice.

If you have materials sensitive to mild surfactants, use whole dairy milk, soak the parts for a few minutes and give it a good scrub over every 5 minutes of soaking. Repeat until the surface doesn't "bead up".

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 01:40:35 PM »
will be painting again this weekend. i ordered 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper and was sent 220 instead. Man this thing is a beast! i cut a 9x11 into 4 quarters and then folded each twice. I only had to use one side of the paper to remove the clear coat and 4 layer of paint. And it gave the controller a good scrubbing too. well anyway, once my nephew gets here im making him buy primer and paint separate.

Thanks for the info guys!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal