Author Topic: PSP internal HDD mod with 80GB 1.8" ipod harddrive (or any other usb drive)  (Read 163412 times)

Offline Blizzrad

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
*deleted
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:24:45 PM by Blizzrad »

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
The programmer is to create custom software on the xm4 board.

DAMN !!!

You can see where I am going. The psp2tv ribbon cable brings not only every button from the front panel
down to the bottom it brings all the connections to the LCD display down there too.

And lets them be controlled and talked to without disabling the PSP function in any way

I am not promising yet but it looks like we could run the PSP buttons and display off the xm4 board with the xm4 board being the master controller. Like you have a portable unix computer in your hand and can plug in a keyboard and mouse and run OE_Linux. Or flip a switch (Software) and you would run the xm4 as a server-slave off the PSP.

If you guys would like to try it out, I can link the files here that you can try on your own PC.

I am running both the linux, OS X, and windows versions.

I did not write these programs but I use them

This is a simple program that you install in your game3xx directory on the PSP

http://mysite.verizon.net/restxsa0/usbisoloader-0.6.zip

This program you install on your PC under Windows

http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/912

NOTE: you have to create a directory in the root of a drive called ISO
so if you did it on your C: drive you would have c:\ISO

Copy an ISO file into that directory

When you run the PSPHost.exe file on your pc you will fill in the directory for USB host to be C: not C:\ISO

The program expects the ISO and CSO files to be in an ISO directory.

Plug in your USB cable and run the program usb iso loader in the game directory of your memory stick.

This will allow you to run the ISO/CSO off your PC. It will give you an idea without a lot of configuration
what it would be like to run from your local drive.

This is all done and the work of others. All I am doing is miniaturizing it into the PSP. And cleaning up the installs.
You don't have to be running IRShell you can just do this from the XMB.

Some of the software I have been working on make it appear as if the drive is a folder in your game folder on the PSP. No interface software to run.

There you go all proven technology. just putting all the pieces together so they all work.

Offline pax

• CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Sig and Avatar by INDYCHASE
    • GAMING LAGOON - Join now for free prizes
is there not a cheaper alternative to the xm4 board, what about the tiny linux pc u are running right now, was that cheaper because if someone were to do this mod they would also have to buy a hard drive small enought to fit in the psp aswel.

Guppy > Chief Squatting Hard > 1/2 Pint > Fart Sniffer > Tone Deff > Motor Mouth > Allumnist > King of the Wii-tards > Who Farted > Poker Champ > Chaos Lover > Bomb Maker > CyberPyrot Wannabe

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Ok, what kind of programmer am i gonna need, i have written code for PICs before. Also, where can i learn as much as you know? i wish i was as smart as you :cry2

Oh, and pax, he is trying to get the price of the xm4 down to $60.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
There will be a cheaper board in the future.

This mod will only make sense to me if you were going to already use the spare space you have on an IPOD and not mount it internally.

Or take one of the OTG drive enclosers that have an internal battery and then run up to a 256 gig drive in there.

If you want just more storage internally then my recommendation will be the new dual SHDC MSPro duo adapter.
The adapter will sell for about $20 and you can put two 16 gig SDHC cards in it so you can have 32 gig in the PSP right now without even opening your PSP.

This mod is really going to be for the real hard core hackers.

When I say there will be a cheaper board in the future, it will be if the contract I have using the xm4 goes bigger, then I will design my own board, it just may be the exact size to fit in the UMD drive bay, because the size and shape for my application makes no difference.

I do know that the prices are very very sensitive to most people. There are many people buy the NSLU2 just to make a device to run hard drives from the PSP and they are spending more than the xm4.

The tiny linux computer that I am running from right now is ripped out of an industrial router that I paid way over $2000 for. It is just outdated of no use any more. The board is 10" x 11" and has way to much stuff on it. It also is not designed to run from battery.

I have just been trying to come up with a solution that fits most peoples needs.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
All the engineering degrees teach you is how to research a project.

How to get answers.

I read over 3,000 words per minute so I read every single paragraph on the gumstix website in a little over an hour.

The programmer you will need is the serial port board.

You would only need more if you were trying to patch the os kernel and toasted it. I don't think many people will need the Jtag programmers.

You will just setup a Ubuntu linux system on your PC ( Does not require a seperate partition ) Then you will be able to cross compile the OS for the xm4 on your system. Then a simple serial cable will allow you to reflash the xm4 board to your needs.

Because each seperate program will run on the same board everyone else has then whatever mod someone creates will be able to be used by everyone else. We will actually be able to create a library of mods. You choose the ones you want and set your board up to run them.  :taunt: :tup: :hifive:

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
Do you guys think instead of wiring the thing internally (and losing the umd drive) that we can power it from a grip like this
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4553
becuase from as much as I have gathered the only reason we are putting in the psp is to hook it up to the battery to power it.
EDIT: and maybe instead of adding two/three usb ports could we also just use a usb hub?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:35:59 PM by dslitemodder »

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
This mod is really going to be for the real hard core hackers.

Where can i learn to be a hard core hacker? My school offers java and the next closest thing is computer repair. Is there any books i can read, cause i wanna get more experience in this.

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
Where can i learn to be a hard core hacker? My school offers java and the next closest thing is computer repair. Is there any books i can read, cause i wanna get more experience in this.
yes, i wunder how you guys know this stuff, i need to expand my knolage with the growing modding scene

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
It is all about reading any thing and everything. i am working on an engineering degree now and i hope it will help me with the development proses  on anything i do. Their is so much done it is a matter of following directions and doing it. i still need to more research on programing since i cant get the grip on it yet. i need to take a c programing class. ya i was excited about the ribbon is makes it all so professional. and i have dibs on the dual monitors sliding flip and stuff and touch. lol

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Yep its all reading and not being afraid to try and fail. Cause even in failure you learn so damn much.

Just have curiosity. Take some of your time and investigate.

We have the greatest resource in the world at our fingertips. The internet.

I spend half my time on the net doing nothing but reading and researching. If I read that someone has done something new I go to the net and read what I can so I can understand what it is about.

Oh and I just finished testing HostCore 1.1 on my test setup. It works great. I only have one problem.
My ISO directory has over 100 games in it. The PSP balks at that many games in one file.

I gave up trying to have the PSP look at my Itunes directory because I have over 15,000 songs in it. I let the PSP sit and chew on it for over 5 minutes before I gave up.

If you have not seen or read about HostCore. You create a memory stick structure on your hard drive.
It takes the items in that structure and automatically places it at the end of the directory of you memory stick.

So it is totally transparent to the PSP it just looks like I have 100 games on a memory stick.

I also tested remote joy and played about 5 of the games. I have a logitech wingman cordless joystick plugged into my linux test board. When I turned on the remotejoy I was able to play my games using it.

So we now have two things tested and working !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We might have to find a way to have HostCore be able to use directories so we can do smaller chunks of files so we don't overwhelm the PSP.

In answer to another question there is no reason the xm4 board has to go inside the PSP. Yes it can go into a joystick handle that has its own battery.

Whatever trips your trigger. My idea of what is perfect does not have to be yours.

Personally I am not giving up my UMD drive. I am going to use an IPOD docking connector to make my UMD drive external and I can plug it in when I want to rip a UMD.

A UMD drive has 28 connections on it. With two extra pins for ground the IPOD connector is perfect at 30 pins.

At least thats my plan.

The UMD drive bay will hold the xm4 board, A sound driver for RGB el wire, An Audio Amp, and speakers will all fit in the bay. As well as as two mini usb connectors.

But that is my plan and after testing HostCore 1.1 and remotejoy on the test linux system. We are that much closer to our goal.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
Thats great but man i hate that my ipod was stolen i have plenty of HDD's or i can get them i need to wire one up once i get a xm4 i think i will do an sata laptop HDD and an usb port to psp instead of just an usb port x2 that way i dont have to deal with the ipod case and goody's. ya i will put the OTG drive enclosers but take out the mobo and put it under the xm4 then xm4 then HDD i am making my own back and front face plate so i will re work some of the inner layout to fit everything. just have to finish the inner layout before i build it.
 i haven't herd of HostCore 1.1 but i will check it out. ya that is what i have had problems with i tried irshell devnhook program and one other one and it only when to so many files. well i cant get usbhost to work on my leopard macbook pro i must be doing something wrong i need to boot up in xp.

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
In answer to another question there is no reason the xm4 board has to go inside the PSP. Yes it can go into a joystick handle that has its own battery.

Whatever trips your trigger. My idea of what is perfect does not have to be yours.

Personally I am not giving up my UMD drive. I am going to use an IPOD docking connector to make my UMD drive external and I can plug it in when I want to rip a UMD.

A UMD drive has 28 connections on it. With two extra pins for ground the IPOD connector is perfect at 30 pins.

At least thats my plan.

The UMD drive bay will hold the xm4 board, A sound driver for RGB el wire, An Audio Amp, and speakers will all fit in the bay. As well as as two mini usb connectors.

But that is my plan and after testing HostCore 1.1 and remotejoy on the test linux system. We are that much closer to our goal.
sweet it's just easier for me because when you have more then one psp that you use (and family uses), you don't have worry about your little brother/cousin breaking the most important part of you psp. (and it leaves room for other mods)

Offline Blasted_Mods

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
let me know how you get it installed so I can put one in my psp laptop project.....

Offline unicorn

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
gr8npwrfl  I'm glad you check out the gumstix unit i just order the the complete package with lcd screen, plus added the wifi unit,

there is another embedded computer that can be used also by CALAO Systems with runs linux and also have 3 usb connector aready on the board, a client ,host and slave ,

it's a bit pricey at 150 euro but it's very small. here the link i order one of these also , here the link if you want to check it out. I believe it
s smaller then the gumstix .

http://www.calao-systems.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=79

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Yes that is pricey. I have sent for some information on them tho.

At this point in time we can't leave a leaf unturned. We will look at everything.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
i agree look in to ever avenue. before it is committed to.

Offline pax

• CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Sig and Avatar by INDYCHASE
    • GAMING LAGOON - Join now for free prizes
hey gr8npwrfl when are youg going to release a video POC for us to see the ipod connected to the psp?

Guppy > Chief Squatting Hard > 1/2 Pint > Fart Sniffer > Tone Deff > Motor Mouth > Allumnist > King of the Wii-tards > Who Farted > Poker Champ > Chaos Lover > Bomb Maker > CyberPyrot Wannabe

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
As soon as I get one of the tiny boards. I don't want people screaming foul with it hooked up to a large board.

The xm4 board should be in next week and I plan on taking video of the entire process. Good still pictures at the same time.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
WE have a better P-V-P that will prove his mods and share them we love you for that thank you.  :#1:

Sweet cant wait to get a board i am getting so excited. i cant stop crying  :huh: :psp:

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
We are interfacing both through USB, right? I dont understand how you are going to get one to be input(from hard drive or othe usb peripheal) and other to be output(psp).

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
i am saying instead of using a ipod i will use a HDD with a sata to usb converter so i will still have two usb ports but use a HDD instead of an ipod in disc mode. the board can be programed to do what we want then with the ribbon i might not do the umd drive i never use it i have three other psp's so it is not important to me. but i will use the pins to hook up the HDD power so with a quick flip of a switch i can turn it off and load a memory stick with Pandora on it extended menu. and add and extra battery just for the HDD. not big into the big speaker so it will give me room if i don't have that plus i am making my own case so i will re arrange it all to fit everything. i just need to find a nice battery to power the HDD and be able to charge.

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
But how are the two USB ports connected? just through the OS?

Cause isnt it gonna be difficult, usually on a regular comp you just go: usb periphial-OS or OS-Peripheal not Periphial-OS-Peripheal, wouldnt it be alot more complicated when you dont have the search function like a regular computer?

Sorry, i know that is super unclear, it is just kinda hard to explain. :wacko:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 05:15:50 PM by cwn723 »

Offline cjmcleod

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
But how are the two USB ports connected? just through the OS?

Cause isnt it gonna be difficult, usually on a regular comp you just go: usb periphial-OS or OS-Peripheal not Periphial-OS-Peripheal, wouldnt it be alot more complicated when you dont have the search function like a regular computer?

Sorry, i know that is super unclear, it is just kinda hard to explain. :wacko:

They're using the XM4 board which is essentially a linux system that can be flashed like a PIC, with usbhostfs flashed on it. Essentially, it'll work the same way as usbhostfs with irshell, but it'll be portable.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Ok,

Here is how it works. Everything on the xm4 board is a master. Everything you plug in is a slave. Instead of trying to make the PSP the master, we let it be a slave. But The xm4 linux computer reads data from the PSP just as if it is a mouse or keyboard. The difference is, the PSP is sending commands as a slave and the host is reading it just like you were to be sitting there typing on a keyboard to your computer. You control your computer through the keyboard. The PSP will control the xm4 linux computer just as if it was a keyboard. EXCEPT we have a whole bunch of commands that we have defined so that we can send all sorts of commands to the xm4 linux computer and it can send all sorts of data back.

Several people have created some very clever code that lets a slave or peripheral device control the host device. Exactly the opposite of the way it is supposed to be.

Because it is a full linux computer on the xm4 board and peripheral we could plug into the usb ports with a small amount of programming will be available to the PSP.

YES you do not have to use an ipod, You can use any remote storage device as long as it appears as a mass storage device to the system.

You could plug in a usb card reader and plug in any one of 57 different memory devices and the PSP will think they are a pro duo card.

If you want to plug in a 10 Tera byte raid tower through the usb then that becomes the memory to your PSP.

Fill size usb keyboard no problem

Logitech Wingman cordless rumble pad no problem

We are only going to wire one usb port on the xm4 board. Then I have several mini usb hubs that I am testing.
So that will give you FOUR usb host ports on your PSP !!!!!!

Because the xm4 linux computer has more memory to work with we will be able to do disk buffering to speed the system up even faster.

If you want to take your web cam and plug it in then you can as long as there are drivers for linux.

With HostCore 1.1 you install a .prx file in the XMB and the the storage device becomes part of your PSP and you don't have to run IRShell if you don't want to.

Thats why there has been so much writing in this post back and forth so we make sure that just about every desire is taken care of.

If someone has a new idea, something new to interface, we already have the structure built to accommodate it.

The board we are using so far is the XM4 Gumstix, it has an lcd interface on the main board. It interfaces to an LCD panel that is almost the same as the PSP's . We are thinking we might have the display shared between the PSP and the Xm4. A real mind blower hey ?

Some is in the future some is right around the corner. Some maybe demoed next week.

My Pledge is no one is out to make money off this, it will be all released as open source, all above board and out there for everyone to tinker with.

What do you want to create today ?

Offline cjmcleod

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
The only thing that's confusing from my standpoint is that you're planning on using Hostcore 1.1, but removing the UMD Drive and placing the XM4 and hard drive in the UMD bay. AFAIK, Hostcore 1.1 has no umdless support, and you have to have a UMD in the drive in order to use it.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
NOPE.

Already running it without UMD, just took a patch is all.

:cool:

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
wow hostcore need an usb i have got it to work probably because i missed that little text i need to patch it then. i think we can fix the problem with having 100 plus iso and homebrew we need to get in contact with  Red_Squirrel he seams to be good with the system editing and stuff. so their is a prx that need to be changed to allow for more to be in the menu or it can be the ram space. but i think it can be fixed i know a little hex editing but not enough to do this. but he may be able to compile a updated hostcore that will benefit use with more improvements. and support 3.90 and up.

well with the dual screen we must have the xm4 hook up online so you can play a game and go online at the same time or watch a movie and pay a game. we should have a program on the xm4 to adjust the leds at will how ever we want with out having to program a chip or only have few settings. it would be like and equalizer but for leds. bluetooth as well since ppl want it for the headphone or any of the other devices. touch screen for the xm4 side or psp or both, have the screen mirror the psp or be separate or mirror the xm4. the touch screen would act as a mouse or we can have the touch screen turn in to a keyboard by making a program for the linux to have a on screen keyboard to communicate with the psp using the plugin i cant remember the name .  or a keyboard the xbox or ps3 one will work. but a digital would be so much nicer and allow for dual screen on the psp. 
i call dibs on the idea of the bellow:
I like that idea dual monitors the lcd screen flips up the touch screen flat. use the touch screen as a d pad and nub controller and a keyboard, mouse and a screen for the xm4 to change the led patters or turn mods on or off in a menu.(allow it to communicate with the hive to do the mod on off changing stuff)  or even watch a movie, go online.  then it would be a hybird 
we should compile as many driver as we can for diff devices to make it more versatile and bring the vnc app for the psp to the next level. 

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Well then with dual screens and because the xm4 is linux you could run a mini web server and do all your code in html and each person could design their own wild screens.

MMMM, You can go as small or as wild as you want. You could do things like play a movie and be on the internet at the same time.. Muti - tasking with multi computers.

Remember what I said, where do yo want to go today ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal