Author Topic: PSP internal HDD mod with 80GB 1.8" ipod harddrive (or any other usb drive)  (Read 163399 times)

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
lol okay man lets go to square one. you need an XM4 board put two usb ports on it the flash Linux with usbhostfs on it put the ipod in disk mode the use hostcore 1.1 and it will work.

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
OK I think i hit the same snag u did only i have a 4th gen ipod w/ 60 gb hd i can hook it up with the cable that i made but how can i get the ipod to run as a master or whatever over the psp and also run the usb host part of irshell? :dntknw:
Are you kidding lol ur not even reading the thread are you? hate to say it gameking but from what he said above he prob knows nothing of any of the projects in the works for this so i doubt he understod what you said.well excuse me if im wrong with assumeing u dont know whats going on maybe it will make you read this instead of asking a question about a completly diff mod than is being discused in this thread atm and expect some one to spell it out for you when it allready has if u read the last 3 pages.

gr8npwrfl i had an idea would it be posible to have wireless internet anywhere with the xm4 with a driver for a laptop air card? would you be able to span the conection to the psp or would it be limited to the xm4 then transfer files?

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
well funny you should ask.

I have plugged in an EVDO wireless broadband modem into my prototype system and YES I can get on the internet with wireless DSL from anywhere there is Cell Service !

I have a Verzion Wireless usb broadband modem and it works very well. I was getting over 500k down and 128k up.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Just as I finished the previous post, the doorbell rang and my first batch of xm4 boards are HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will take me a few hours to setup the system, recompile all my software and flash an xm4 board to test !

Be back later.

Offline cjmcleod

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
Sick. Can't wait to see the POC.

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
if u can get this to work i will buy one asap  :tup:

thank u P3nnywise for the sig
"See you have to understand the difference. The difference between me and you is to you, this is your job. To me, this is my life. The club; that's my job. The mall; that's my job. Your neighborhood; that's my job. This studio; this is my life. This is what I do better than anything."

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
Just as I finished the previous post, the doorbell rang and my first batch of xm4 boards are HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will take me a few hours to setup the system, recompile all my software and flash an xm4 board to test !

Be back later.

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
if u can get this to work i will buy one asap  :tup:
ditto

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
This is history
omg this is awesome i just read the whole thread well almost and it is amazing ur a  genius and my hero

thank u P3nnywise for the sig
"See you have to understand the difference. The difference between me and you is to you, this is your job. To me, this is my life. The club; that's my job. The mall; that's my job. Your neighborhood; that's my job. This studio; this is my life. This is what I do better than anything."

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
Hey man i am glad you got them in. get a hold of me on what you need done as far as the documentation.

Offline TheN0ble

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
gr8npwrfl, any idea on how much the total cost is going to be to ship a board out? I'm trying to figure out how much I need to do this mod. Thankx.

Offline cwhaxuallday

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • "Im Just trying to find paradise"
OK sorry i was novice in only reading the first page then posting but excuse me in saying :is there any way to just connect the ipod to the psp enableing "usb host" and with some kind of App on the ipod have it work?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 06:01:23 PM by cwhaxuallday »

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
I am sorry but apparently i dint make my self clear. You need to do research. read evey page it tells yo what you can or cant do. also their is and will be no usbhost port that will work from an ipod as of now. So no and read. :faint:

Offline cwhaxuallday

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • "Im Just trying to find paradise"
"also their is and will be no usbhost port that will work from an ipod as of now"

Thats all i needed to know

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Status Update,

I have the usbhostfs_pc running on the xm4
The remotejoy is not compiling getting errors

I am tracing a problem with the usbhostfs_pc system. I am getting communication to and from the PSP but only at 12Mbit, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I have gone through all the documentation and the documents say it is usb 2.0, yet in very very fine print it says full speed, and all my other usb 2.0 documents say High Speed.

My usb 1.1 documents say full speed.

I have sent emails and phone messages to gumstix company.

Are they playing with words ? How can it be usb 2.0 and then limit it to 12Mbit when 2.0 is
480Mbit ?

SO the status is mass storage working but SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW.

This is not what we want, I will not get an answer back till monday grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
How slow? Did you try it with less files on the hard drive?

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
it is slow enough to take a long time to load the files so it is slow playing games and game probably will not load at that slow of a speed. so their must be a way to get a way around it. full and high are a big diff. darn i hope they reply.

Offline unicorn

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
gameking21, i got this from there faq sheet.

Does a verdex motherboard provide USB 2.0 ?

The verdex motherboard, based on the PXA270 provides USB 1.1 and full speed - which is 12 Mbps on both the device and the host.

A lot of people get USB 2.0 mixed up when referring to USB. 12MBps is "USB Full Speed".

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
12mbps is the usb 1.1 standard of full speed, but we need the usb2.0 standard not 1.1
But at least you have them connected right? that's POC right there just take some pics and a video and your golden  :tup:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 08:42:22 AM by dslitemodder »

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
I do know the difference between full speed and High speed. They sent me information that said
the unit fully conforms to the USB 2.0 Specifications.

USB 2.0 says the top speed is 480Mbit / second NOT 12 Mbit / second.

One piece of literature says one thing and then in their app notes it says full speed ( 12Mbit / second )

I have already put in a call to the gentleman that was the designer of the board and I expect a call back on
Monday.

If this does not work out I already have two other boards I am looking into.

A NSLU2 clone that has four USB 2.0 480Mbit / second usb ports on it.

A Pico ITX board that has 4 USB High speed ports and is 3.5 inches by 2.85 inches.

One way or another I will make this work.

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
Well so it doesnt just take long to load it up, it is slow and laggy during the game? It would be cool if we could temperarily transfer the files to the mspd, then transfer them back when we are done.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
If you just want to transfer you can do that with an external OTG hard drive.

I have one of those and when I want to play a game I can transfer directly to the PSP without any adapters. The OTG drive just plugs in and it reads and writes to the PSP just like your PC does.

We want it to do so much more.

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
If you just want to transfer you can do that with an external OTG hard drive.

I have one of those and when I want to play a game I can transfer directly to the PSP without any adapters. The OTG drive just plugs in and it reads and writes to the PSP just like your PC does.

We want it to do so much more.

hey mate, do we have it working yet?
you said ya had it running awhile back ago, how is the progress coming?
sorry if you are explaining things in your other posts but i just want to know if its working

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
he said it was work but it has usb1.1 speed, not usb2.0 (which is more preferable, unless you want to want forever just to play a game at slower speeds)

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
Hmmm... so i can just buy an OTG hard drive and PRESTO!! i have a psp hard drive essentially? Wow i never new that, what is the point of trying to do a different hard drive then? So your saying your main goal is to hook up other usb peripheal devices Ex. Mice, Keyboard, etc. to the psp? I thought the main idea of this was the hard drive, hints the name of the topic.

READ THIS!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:43:35 PM by JWhiteLightning »

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
i looked at the other board they are a lot bigger thickness size looking but the do already have usb ports on them. so i hope the xm4 works but if not these look promising.

some help me it is the attack of the noobs nooooo. Pls read fully before committing. this has been explained many time read their is a purpose why we need the mini linux computers to get the hdd working.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:46:44 PM by gameking21 »

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
OK, thanks for the help
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:55:14 PM by JWhiteLightning »

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
OTG is just to transfer a game to your memory stick and back. it will not allow for the HDD to be used as a memory stick. that is what we are trying to do.

Offline JWhiteLightning

• BANNED
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Because Im CWN
Ok, i see that, but id say that is just as good. than we shouldnt have any troubles with the speed, or any programming we would need to do.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
I will not explain myself any more i gave you everything but you surely didn't read any of it.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Ok,

If all you want is lots of storage so you can carry your games with you.
You will have to copy the game you want to play to the memory stick.
Delete the one you are not playing.

Yes then all you need is a OTG drive will bidirectional and file by file copy.

NOTE: make sure you completely check for bidirectional file by file copy. Most of them can only copy from the usb port to their internal hard drive.
Some only do backups.

If this is what you want then PM me and I will tell you which ones to buy.

As far as our project goes. We will use the file explorer or game selector to select a file to RUN from the hard drive.
You will not have to copy it, or delete files from your pro duo memory stick.

I have the complete system running on a mini itx single board computer.

It boots from a compact flash card.
It has four full USB high speed 480Mbit / second usb ports.
I have usbhostfs_pc running under linux
I have remotejoy allowing a usb joystick to be plugged in and used on the PSP.
I can plug in keyboards and mice. (Still working on the interface to the PSP.
I can plug in ANY type if storage cards and the PSP can read them. ( I can even plug in usb keychain drives and read them )
I can have multiple storage media plugged in at the same time.
I can copy from storage card device to hard drive with the PSP.

All the software is running on linux which can be recompiled to run on any type of embeded computer

What I have right now is to big to be portable.

The xm4 board's USB is to slow to make it usable. (unless I get some answers Monday )

All the current software will run on a NSLU2 device shown at the beginning of this string.

I am also evaluating other computers one I am looking at is 3" x 4" still small enough to be mounted in or on the PSP.

THE PROJECT IS NOT DEAD..... JUST SLOWED A LITTLE

Because the project that I am working on besides this requires several thousand cpu boards. If I have to build
my own printed circuit board I will. The NSLU2 uses a Intel Strongarm CPU, static ram, flash and a NEC USB 2.0 controller that has 4 USB 2.0 High Speed ports. If I dump all the other stuff that is on the NSLU2 motherboard I can get the system down to 3" x 1.25" and power consumption down to a level we can use.

Again I have a project that pays me a lot of money that I need this board for. Just cause it happens to be what this project needs is just gravy.

I will do a video of the itx board proof of concept showing hard drive, keychain drive, joytick all plugged in. But everyone that is already using this software on their PCs know it will work.

I could buy some very small computers now from other sources, but the price is $150 to $300 each and that puts it out of the range of what people want to pay for this project.

If I do my own board it will be in the $50.00 price range.

I know this discussion chain is getting very long, but please, go to the beginning and read the entire string as it will answer most of your questions.

If you still have questions because you do not understand something we are talking about then PM me and if it is something that has not been covered before I will copy it here.

For the people that are running linux I will put together a tutorial on how to compile all the software to run on your linux system ( probably Ubuntu because most people seem to be running dual boot in their PCs ).
I had to search far and wide and join 5 to 10 other boards to get all the information on building all this into linux.

If your not a programmer this is something to get your feet wet on. I have linux running on my phone and my Ipod.
It is the ultimate hackers operating system.

That covers it for now unless I forgot something and I am sure the regulars will let me know I screwed up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal