Author Topic: Unusual problem with unit from ebay (plus internalized photofast cr-3100)!  (Read 16189 times)

Offline bense

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
I recently decided to take on the task of internalizing a photofast cr-3100 in my slim psp.  Rather than ripping my perfectly good unit apart i figured i could buy a unit on ebay with a broken umd drive and then sell my perfectly good slim.

I found a unit for a decent price with a broken umd drive, just what I wanted.  When I got the unit I turned it on and installed 4.01 m33-2 with dc7.  I was planning on leaving the unit alone for the day, but then I went to launch a game and the unit just hung up after the white psp screen.  (you know, the one that shows up whenever you launch an application/game/homebrew/psxeboot/etc.  I figured that it was related to a dead UMD drive.  So I started the surgery.  After I finished removing the umd drive and installing the photofast adapter, I formatted the memsticks and whatnot.  But I THEN i went to launch an app, and...same problem.

There is no error message, it just hangs up every time.  I have tried multiple memory sticks and what not, all of them yield the same exact result.  I have adjusted UMD ISO mode to np9660, m33 driver, normal, etc, this does nothing.  One would say that it is the adapters fault, but this problem was occuring before I was using the adapter.

I have rebuilt IDstorage with DC7, I have formatted LFlash with DC7, I have run 4.01 m33 from the memory stick, nothing will let me launch an application.   I installed 4.01 ofw, and tried to execute the 4.05 update.  Same thing.  I tried using different cards again.

I then tried DaX's time machine, and ran 3.40 on the slim.  Same issue.  Then tried 1.50 with 3.40 modules, same issue.  Absolutely no matter what I try nothing works.  I have read about people having issues with corrupt IDstorages, but this doesn't make sense cause apparently dc7's idstorage regenerator resolves that issue. 

I would suspect a hardware issue, but here's the catch.  For several hours today I have used internet radio on this unit, the wlan was constantly on and everything worked fine.  I can listen to mp3s and have the visualizer running, with the cpu maxxed at 333Mhz and everything works fine, it plays back videos, the chottoshot camera works, wlan works, everything works except absolutely no applications will launch.  The shell had never been opened (going off of the oem sticker) and there were no scuffs or scratches at all on this unit, so i do not think that it has seen any shock.  I am completely baffled by this now, I've never heard of anything like this. 

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on how i can resolve this?  I don't want to resort to replacing the motherboard just yet, well at least until I understand what exactly is wrong with the unit.

Anyways, here's the pics, i am using a 8gb & 2gb microsd while my 16gb is on it's way :

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I love My Lacoste shirts
Nice mod, i think maybe its a mobo probleme, and also if u look you could see that the psp umd door has been changed it dosent say psp..

i know its a bit off topic but since i did soem research i liked it could you tell me where di you buy it from
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:38:01 AM by LaCozTe-2028 »

try droping it again
my retared friend fixed by droping it
 1Sniper- not to be an :censored: but, its special friend

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
Nice mod, i think maybe its a mobo probleme, and also if u look you could see that the psp umd door has been changed it dosent say psp..

i know its a bit off topic but since i did soem research i liked it could you tell me where di you buy it from

The door says PSP on it still.....

And It sounds like some kind of mobo problem. Dead memory slot?

Dont know if thats possible.

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
if movies and photos etc. play then it can't possible be hardware,did you try using the pandora battery on it?(sorry if its in the 1st post,I didnt read all of it)I'm not too good with slims but this certainly isn't a hardware problem,are you running any plugins?
Derp.

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
Oh i missed the part you said Video works, Ya its not the mobo.

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
Me to and jumbo, i looked closely and i saw the psp on the door srry yup probly you solder something wrong or try installing normal firmware download demo try it and if it works reinstall cf if not probly wierd mobo probleme or programe aint compatible with slim remember that programes needing 1.50 cant be run on slim
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 02:22:27 PM by LaCozTe-2028 »

try droping it again

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Me to and jumbo, i looked closely and i saw the psp on the door srry yup probly you solder something wrong or try installing normal firmware download demo try it and if it works reinstall cf if not probly wierd mobo probleme or programe aint compatible with slim remember that programes needing 1.50 cant be run on slim
Read first, THEN comment.
First, this wouldn't have anything to do with solder. That's just not it.
Second, he can't BOOT the eboot to RUN the update, if you read you'd know that.
This has nothing to do with firmware. Again, if you read you'd know that. It freezes when booting an eboot. That's not a firmware version fault.

If anything I think it's a slightly corrupt flash0 prx, the one that boots games. I'm fairly sure it's a prx. Can't tell ya where, but I remember coming across one back when I messed with psps. I'm probably wrong though. I'd say attempt at pandora'ing into a new clean firmware, if that works.

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
Ya, He didn't even solder in the psp, I can say do what kicks said, i had the same problem with it hanging for games and i re-flashed the flash0 and it worked!

If you dont feel safe just Pandora it.

Hope it all goes well

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Ya, He didn't even solder in the psp
Did you read, too?
He made an internal photofast cr3100. That's soldering...

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
He plugged it in and routed it internal....

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: Unusual problem with unit from ebay (plus internalized photofast cr-3100)!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 04:00:13 PM »
He plugged it in and routed it internal....

O_O
wat. I don't call that a mod >_< Clean though.. lol nvm then.

Offline bense

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 05:47:46 PM »
O_O
wat. I don't call that a mod >_< Clean though.. lol nvm then.

I am not about to engage in any sort of semantics argument here, regardless this is beside the point.

I never once claimed that I soldered.  I used a dremell and routed the ribbon cable. 

Do you guys REALLY think that I would go alllllll this way without trying a simple pandora?  I used pandora to load 1.50_3.40 timemachine, 3.40 time machine, 3.71 m33-2 from dc4, 3.80 from dc5, 3.90 from dc6, and 4.01 from dc7.  I've already ran LFormat and Regenerating ID storage from dc7, like i previously mentioned., I really don't think that formatting flash0 is going to make a difference.

and no, it can't be a corrupt prx, because it occurs on every fw that i run it on.  I have no plugins at all enabled. 

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 07:32:31 PM »
now u read kicks im just trying to help i aint a nerd like you

try droping it again

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 08:02:34 PM »
now u read kicks im just trying to help i aint a nerd like you
Stop spamming EVERYWHERE.
I am not about to engage in any sort of semantics argument here, regardless this is beside the point.

I never once claimed that I soldered.  I used a dremell and routed the ribbon cable. 

Do you guys REALLY think that I would go alllllll this way without trying a simple pandora?  I used pandora to load 1.50_3.40 timemachine, 3.40 time machine, 3.71 m33-2 from dc4, 3.80 from dc5, 3.90 from dc6, and 4.01 from dc7.  I've already ran LFormat and Regenerating ID storage from dc7, like i previously mentioned., I really don't think that formatting flash0 is going to make a difference.

and no, it can't be a corrupt prx, because it occurs on every fw that i run it on.  I have no plugins at all enabled. 
Yeah noticed that after I looked at it again.
And, seriously, what the hell is up with this psp. NOTHING is making sense. The most I can think of is get a new motherboard but, obviously, you don't want to do that just yet.
Best thing I can think of is... nothing. Absolutely nothing. I've never, EVER, heard of this happening before.

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
If nothing works make sure that no umd is on!!!!!!

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 01:56:50 PM »
go to your recovery

and then format flash1 ;)

To all of you crying about lag and kicks, remember… when Jesus died, took him 3 days to respawn. Now THAT is lag.

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »
double d i think he already tried that

try droping it again

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »
Hey. Finally! Someone else with the same problem as me! To be honest, I think this is related to the UMD drive. I too, bought a psp off ebay that says "broken umd drive". My problem however, is not consistent. Sometimes, after rebooting the psp various times, it will magically work. The boot screen when I turn on the psp also sometimes hangs. I have tried pandora, and lots of other flash restore tools, to no avail. I really hope it's possible to fix this. Also, it's not just games, but it won't run homebrew either.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 09:06:32 AM »

Do you guys REALLY think that I would go alllllll this way without trying a simple pandora?  BLAH BLAH BLAH like i previously mentioned., I really don't think that formatting flash0 is going to make a difference.

if your going to be a sarcastic bastard about this then you can go to another site for help,we are only following procedure,now you either be co-operative and accept our help or you be sarcastic and break your slim,either way I'm happy (especially the 2nd one)
Derp.

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 01:21:01 PM »
lol alein you killed me your all happy about his great mod and he is trying to fix his psp

try droping it again

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 03:46:31 PM »
Yeah this really is strange...  I dunno I'll get some pictures later. Yeah I've tried everything u have now. Lflash or w/e to reformat flash, regenerated idstorage, i think I used keyscleaner and nandtool or something, and have reflashed pandora many times. I do recall it working once with timemachine, but I haven't used it lately, so I dunno. Also, your psp is silver and so is mine, but I don't think that could be the problem...

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 04:19:23 PM »
if it's still not working what you could do is switch motherboards with your 2nd psp and it should work.  and the other one should work with the umd drive too. so you would (theorecly) have two fully working psps.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 06:28:59 PM »
gah i was gonna take some pictures, but after messing with idstorage keys, and flash, it won't even boot... oh well, i'm gonna just sell it i guess.

oh nvm it boots... i'll get some pictures in a second

Ok got some pictures

first picture is trying to boot game, second picture is trying to boot up psp.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 07:30:22 PM by bustinthejustin »

Offline Electro

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +8/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »
I also have a PSP with the same problems.

As far as I know nothing will fix it.

Because the problem is not in any idstorage keys but the flash2 or flash3.
The blocks in flash2 and flash3 are corrupted.

And even after reformatting with Lflash it will still be corrupted.

I know this is flash2 or flash3 because that is how games are loaded.
And flash2 can't be formatted with windows.
If flash2 and/or flash3 are corrupted then games will just hang or not load at all.

Try this if you didn't already:
Connect your PSP to PC via USB cable go to RECOVERY MODE and into ADVANCED
settings and try formatting flash2 and flash3 with the windows format option.

And you will most likely get an error telling you that it can't be formatted.
Then you will know for sure if it's flash2/flash3 or not.

I do hope there is a way to fix this because I would also rather not have to get a new Slim
motherboard on eBay.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 09:39:44 PM by Electro »

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 07:28:48 AM »
couldn't you copy the files from one psp to the other?

Offline Electro

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +8/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 11:02:13 AM »
couldn't you copy the files from one psp to the other?
No, that wouldn't work.

And if it did it wouldn't in this case because it's not the software but hardware.
Reflashing it won't fix the corrupted flash.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 12:59:30 PM »
The thing I don't get is, is that it's not consistent. Sometimes it'll boot, other times it won't... I'm pretty sure that can't be the case with software so it's probably hardware... Like Electro said, the flash is probably corrupted... The more and more I read and mess with it, the more I think it's related to the mobo. *sigh* I don't want to buy a new mobo... might as well buy a brand new psp...

Here's some pictures of my psp actually working...

Pictures of the same psp but not working...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:16:00 PM by bustinthejustin »

Offline Electro

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +8/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »
Hey bustinthejustin my PSP does the same exact thing.

It will play games but I have to fully power off the PSP a few times for it to boot the XMB.
Then games work again.

And sometimes the XMB will work but games wont boot.

Quastion for you does your UMD drive work?
I'm guessing it doesn't like mine.

So yeah it's defenatly the flash.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 05:48:05 PM »
Nope... the UMD drive doesn't work. I'm almost certain it's the flash. The UMD drive might actually still be good, if plugged into a new psp.

Offline pspdoctor

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Check out www.pspdoctor.com for PSP repairs!!!!
    • PSPDOCTOR.COM
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 01:25:55 AM »
I have a white STAR WARS Slim that does the same thing!!!!  I would freeze up at the Sony screen after a hard reset (you can avoid this by setting the Recovery Menu option to skip Sony Logo).  Then very often it will load isos but most often not.  When I used my Pandora it said there were 2 bad blocks on the NAND.  I have tried replacing the NAND DUMP with another WORKING psps ID Storage and NAND but no good.  I have even tried removing the gameboot file and sony logo at the game boot screen but NO LUCK.  I am completely stumped on this one too so if anyone knows anything I would appreciate the help too!!!
Check out www.pspdoctor.com for PSP repairs!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal